Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Opening a hookah bar HELP

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 28th, 2010, 11:50 PM
hookahginger
Hookah Newbie

Exclamation Opening a hookah bar HELP

hey guys i work at a bar and my boss want to have a hookah night 1 or 2 days of the week. and he's asking me to help him. i know a good amount about hookah. but i dont know that much about running a hookah bar. like i went to a few bars and the pricing for one hookah bar is $15 for one hookah packed for one person, $20 for a hookah packed for 2 people and $25 for a hookah packed for 3 people. which is crazy pricing but they make so much money. also if there is more than 5 people to group they charge you $5 service fee....idk i want to give a good price and im help would be awesome. What type of hookahs, tobaccos, and coals(im thinking coconara cause they're awesome) should i order and where should i order them so i can buy in bulk at a good price.
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:18 AM
shawnwhyte
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Opening a hookah bar HELP

My favorite hookah bar charged by how many hoses the hookah had. 8 for a single hose, 15 for a double hose and 20 for a triple hose. So it accomidates the paying more for more people, but it also makes the place not seem like its charging an arm and a leg.
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:42 AM
hookahginger
Hookah Newbie

yeah that sounds cool. the place i was talkin about only has singled hose hookahs and still charged you 25. NY long island hookah bars....
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:46 AM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Wonderland wrote a write up on some things to consider when you open a lounge. (http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10836). The biggest rule...tantamount to running a lounge is checking your laws. Given the current political attitude towards smoking makes this all the more important because you have to have licenses and proper setup or you are putting your buisness in jeopardy. Many states have bans that require you to either have a separate room, sometimes even separate ventilation for the smoking area. There are also some places that require that you are designated as a "cigar bar" and some that even regulate the pricing of your lounge. I've heard that some laws require that over 50% of your revenue has to be from the sale of tobacco to keep a tobacco license and seeing as you're setting up a lounge in an already existing bar, this might be something that would hamper the buisness.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:51 AM
hookahginger
Hookah Newbie

yeah trueee. shitt. this is what i need to hear haha. as far as the smoking area we have a outdown area that has round tables and stufff. but im gonna read your link now.
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Iggy
Hookah Newbie

I wouldent open one now with the 775% tax looming overhead.
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:59 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

massapequa eh? come to fire and ice in smithtown with me and we can chat with the owners.

Old January 29th, 2010, 01:02 AM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Also I know that New York has some pretty stringent laws regarding smoking in bars, but since you're thinking of making it an outdoor bar, check the laws regarding smoking near the entrance of a bar. Some places such as Portland, ME have laws that forbid smoking within 50 feet of the entrance of a bar. I'm farily sure there are similar laws in Mass and it seems to be sweeping through more liberal states without a second's thought. Just consider that opening a hookah bar might be a short lived endeavor if you don't commit to being a smoking bar/lounge. This is not the most conducive time for tobacconists so just be wary and know what you're getting into. Last thing you want to do is invest in a great set of rigs and tobacco to find that your outdoor smoking area which worked fine for cigarettes is now in violation because of the addition of hookahs.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:14 AM
hookahginger
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
massapequa eh?
dont hate on massapequa. haha but yeah sure im down. never been there. have you been to "ice and fire" near the hofsta college campus? also thanks CypherEnigma your words of wisdom are very helpful. im taking every step slowly so i dont screw over my boss haha.
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:16 AM
dlr1881
Hookah Nut

hey i don't know much about the laws where you live but that would be something to looking to, I know that here in NM you can't have smoking in public areas bars included but you can close it to the public as a smoking lounge so only those who don't mind smoke can get in or alnog those lines.

as far as pricing and tobaccos the places i go rate it like this $12 dollars for 10g of tobacco, $14 15g, $15 or $16 for 20g; 1 dollar for an extra hose; but prices seem higher there so may be compete with the others,

and tobaccos i would steer clear of intense ones like nakila (sorry bad a spelling) because the are nicotine high and you don't want your costumers sick.
I would try something along the lines of AF, AW, or HH - HF they are washed and offer many flavors

best of luck in your endeavors
DLR
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Hookah_Native
Hookah Nut

wow thats a lot for a bow. The lounge costs 10 bucks for the first and 5 for every bowl after that
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:22 AM
hookahginger
Hookah Newbie

/how big is the bowl for $10? just standard egyptian clay bowl?
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:14 AM
HookahWoltar
Hookah Newbie

Ok. your gonna want to use a good hookah brand. preferably Magdy Zidan or Khalil Mamoon, everbody loves them and nobody likes a cheap hookah. you should probably use ************* coals, as there are some of the best, and you can buy in bulk for very cheap. as for tobacco, i would use starbuzz, the whole flavor line, not just a couple. as for bowls i would use egyptian, and phunnel bowls at different pricing. for a bowl your going to have to use at least 25 grams per egyptian bowl evenly, for about 7-8 dollars. dont rip people off with small badly packed bowls, take the stems out and do a nice job packing. for the funnel bowls i would charge anywhere from 13-15 dollars for the 1-3 hour smoke. i am very savy with hookah bars and how they work. if you want more detailed info PM me.
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:16 AM
HookahWoltar
Hookah Newbie

oh, and only get one hose hookahs. they are better and you should use ths method of service- only 2 people to a hookah, 3 people or more need 2 hookahs for every 4 people.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook