Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Keep Your Reviews HONEST! and UNBIASED!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 1st, 2010, 12:03 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Keep Your Reviews HONEST! and UNBIASED!

I am seeing a lot of mixed reviews .. and some questionable?

We pride ourselves on unbiased and honest reviews!

So even if you are receiving free samples from a contest or other means, please be sure to keep the reviews HONEST! Just because it was given to you doesn't mean you can't rate it how you really feel. Don't feel obligated to rate something high when deep down you know it is not!

Please maintain the integrity of this community and what it was built for! .. and that is for real life reviews from real people! With a desire to share honest and unbiased reviews.

Thank You! .. Sambooka

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:10 PM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Keep Your Reviews HONEST! and UNBIASED!

here here
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

well stated
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Honest and unbiased is the reason this site was created!

Everybody has the right to their opinion, but when we see signs of blatant and obsessive promotion of something in order to "market" it or "hype" it .. that is where we are going to start digging into some detective work and getting rid of the falsifying Members that stoop so low as to take free product in reimbursement for biased and dishonest promotion. I think that anybody that would do such a thing is a complete scumbag and not welcome here.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but I am starting to see it .. not necessarily here but it is out there and it is disgusting to read or look at!!

Keep it real ... Keep it honest!

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

alittle unrelated but i saw your tweet review on AF lemon/mint, got some from HJ (and when i say got some i mean paid for and waited patiently) and you were not wrong, a fantastic flavor and really long lasting taste
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:58 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Yeah it kills me when a see reviews that say something to the effect of "flavor was lacking" and they give it an 8! What a joke. Don't be afraid to give a score of 5 or less. Flavor should be one of the most important things. 10/10 should be rare and some people give everything 8-10/10. Always seems to be the same brand too.
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:07 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzHookah View Post
alittle unrelated but i saw your tweet review on AF lemon/mint, got some from HJ (and when i say got some i mean paid for and waited patiently) and you were not wrong, a fantastic flavor and really long lasting taste
Glad you liked it I try to offer up honest reviews based on unbiased opinion. That is how I roll!

You know how much of a douchebag I would feel like if I said something was good, and deep down I knew it wasn't!? .. and someone here got sucked into buying that product based on my dishonest review!? I would be going against all my morals and the main purpose of this site.

I would much rather keep it real because that is much more important to me than "selling out" for free product and lying to this awesome community!

So you can trust I will be providing honest and unbiased reviews for as long as I am doing them .. it's what separates me from the sellouts! I hope everybody else here stands up and does the same, keep the dream of unbiased and honest reviews alive!

Old February 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Sam, you already know how I feel on this topic. Just be honest, there is no reason not to be.

As I stated in a similar thread, some of this can come down to the integrity of a vendor also. For instance, after I posted my first Crown Hookahs review I got an email from Santino. He was blown away by the review. Actually, he was blown away by the fact that someone would take the time to do it as a service to the community. He told me straight up that he didn't care if I praised or bashed his product. He takes the opinions of the members here very seriously. That's a mature mind at work, that's integrity in my book.
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:25 PM
Nyxxie
Hookah Nut

Just like 10s are rare, 1s should be as well. I think being a fair rater isn't a reason to "not be welcomed here." Don't you think by saying that the people who believe you are speaking about them will now stop actually reviewing in fear that you wont think it's fair and will be removed from the site? Sorry, but I'm a little taken aback by this topic. You can't call people scumbags and the apologize in the same breath, it's equally as degrading in my opinion. I rate this topic a 1/10. Some things just deserve to be in PM.

Last edited by Nyxxie; February 1st, 2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:32 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Nyxxie .. I think you are reading into it wrong. I am merely asking to keep it honest and unbiased. Sorry if I am showing to much passion for that, but I do see waves of reviews all over that are anything but fair, honest, and unbiased. I'd hate to see our community fall into that line.

Again, I am sorry .. I don't mean any harm by this thread .. I am just too passionate about it. And it comes across very strong. Sorry

Old February 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
Nyxxie
Hookah Nut

I'm taking what you are saying into account and I'm not offended, because I honestly feel my ratings are what I honestly believe and not something thats fictitious simply because it was free, but I can see why others would be. That's all. It's cool in my book. I just started reviewing so reading this is making me question myself as a rater. But then again, I really shouldn't be because I know those ratings were fair.

I think honesty in rating is 100% most important, and I can see where you are coming from. I'd hate to buy a shisha that was rated a 10, but it sucked in my opinion. But we must realize ratings ARE opinions. While I may feel Starbuzz White Peach is 10/10, someone may buy it and says it sucks.

That's all I'm saying
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:38 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Dee .. I agree! Sounds like a great guy!
.. I know a few vendors/manufacturers that strike me like that. For instance, Jonathan from SaharaSmoke.com stands out the most to me and is very supportive of both positive and negative reviews. He uses that information to tweak their products to make them more to our liking as a hookah community.

Old February 1st, 2010, 01:45 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

I think too that some people just tend to rate high, or rate low. It seems like in watching video reviews that a lot of people will give a 7 to something they describe as being average. This was the main reason I never did number ratings in the past.

In my latest video I decided to try a 1-5 scale. I think it's easier to use and understand.

1. Unbearable for whatever reason.
2. Has some decent qualities, maybe good smoke or whatever but lacks too much in other areas to be recommended.
3. Average. Not bad all around. Will definitely finish what I have, may or may not buy again.
4. Above average, will likely buy again.
5. Way above average, will definitely keep in stock.

Of course, it's all a matter of opinion in the end. People have different tastes and use different methods.
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Nyxxie I totally agree, our opinions ARE merely just that .. our opinions!

We do not dictate what is good and what is not, merely just offer up our opinion of what we thought about something. That is what it is all about

.. about your reviews .. they look to be right on target! nice job

Old February 1st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Of course, it's all a matter of opinion in the end. People have different tastes and use different methods.
Agreed ..

I don't like the rating system much either. I am thinking about changing mine to a 1-5 as well.

Cheers!

Old February 1st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Nyxxie, I think Sambooka's point was that we need to keep our eye on the prize and not be swayed by a complimentary product. I dont see him calling anyone out, just giving a friendly reminder that Hookah Pro was created to give consumers an unbiased review of products. Not everyones reviews will be the same, like you said. The important thing is to be honest in your reviews regardless of how you got the product, thats all.
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:54 PM
opticalshadow
Banned

the thing i hate seeing the most is people who review brands that they state firmly they dislike greatly, and then review a product by said brand giving it no lee way, often compareing it to what they dont liek about the brand as a whole. i know this is a valid opinion but in all honestly,if you smoke lets say NAK or AF exclucivly, and think that SB or TANG is absolute trash, never smoke it, never liked it, never will like it. you really shouldnt review it, its honest and stright forward, but if your biased agenst a whole brand then even if your honest opinions arnt ment to be biased, they are.
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:55 PM
Nyxxie
Hookah Nut

I agree with you, I do. I just wanted to make everything clear so someone who would be offended, doesn't get offended :P.

Regarding ratings, 1-5 seems a lot better and maybe it should be made mandatory. That guide Dee set up would be stickied for people to go by so there is no room for craziness. lol
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe View Post
Nyxxie, I think Sambooka's point was that we need to keep our eye on the prize and not be swayed by a complimentary product. I dont see him calling anyone out, just giving a friendly reminder that Hookah Pro was created to give consumers an unbiased review of products. Not everyones reviews will be the same, like you said. The important thing is to be honest in your reviews regardless of how you got the product, thats all.
+1 that is exactly what I was trying to say, I just get a little bit too passionate about it! I see stuff and hear stuff that other people don't .. just want to be sure we are maintaining a high level of excellence and integrity.

When we did a free giveaway last year .. as much as I love the vendor .. I begged for honest reviews from the Hookah Pro Members. Because that is what it is all about, I didn't want anyone to feel like they had to give out high ratings. Just give your honest opinion, that is all we ask!

Old February 1st, 2010, 02:31 PM
click267
Banned

I agree with your points Sambooka
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:32 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
the thing i hate seeing the most is people who review brands that they state firmly they dislike greatly, and then review a product by said brand giving it no lee way, often compareing it to what they dont liek about the brand as a whole. i know this is a valid opinion but in all honestly,if you smoke lets say NAK or AF exclucivly, and think that SB or TANG is absolute trash, never smoke it, never liked it, never will like it. you really shouldnt review it, its honest and stright forward, but if your biased agenst a whole brand then even if your honest opinions arnt ment to be biased, they are.
I try lots of different flavors from lots of different brands. I am always on the lookout for the best ones! .. but some brands definitely fall shorter than others but I don't let that stop me from giving them opportunities to find a good one from them. I think every brand has a couple great flavors for each of us. Just gotta find them.

For instance, I've tried 10 flavors from one brand and only had 1 mediocre flavor but I still keep searching for something good to review from them. I finally did a review because I kept hearing such great things like how wet and juicy it was or how much it smelled and smoked like what it was supposed to and I wanted to offer up my personal opinion, trust me it was unbiased. I tried many variations and methods to get the best smoke I could out of it. After getting some after the few positive reviews I read about, It was not wet and juicy like people said it was, and smelled / smoked nothing like it was supposed to. So I did a review because I felt like I should offer up my personal opinion because my opinion was completely on the other side of the level.

I love Nakhla .. but damn their strawberry taste like crap, vanilla not so good, mizo mint was good but too strong for my liking, mizo watermelon are you serious?? and mizo guava I couldn't stand smoking for more than 3 minutes. But I will give them another try in a year or so, I may have gotten an off batch.

I can admit when I brand has off flavors, it is part of being unbiased. Instead of saying "Nakhla Strawberry is the best!" when deep down I know it isn't. That is pretty bad, but it is even worse when I say that after being given it for free as a comp in hopes to get more. That is where the shady value is at its peak! I'd rather have my integrity than sell out like that!

The whole point of this thread is don't be swayed by a complimentary product. Be it reviews, or general advice / discussion. We are offering up free shisha samples in contests and just want to be sure our Members know that they can be completely honest, we encourage it!

Cheers!

Old February 1st, 2010, 02:33 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

I rate high because I think the flavor is awesome. I take into account if I could smoke it once a week or not, and I generally say that. If I say I can smoke it once a month, I factor that in and for being a once a month flavor is it good. If it is a good once a month flavor, I will give it a high rating, but only in that category. If I had reviewed Sinbad Garden of Eden for a weekly smoke, it would have received a 4.

In my last video I left out a rating, just to get a feel if the rating is even noticed, so far nobody mentioned anything. So do people actually listen to the rating or do they go by what you say? I try and be as descriptive as possible so others can get a feel for what I am smoking. Like one comment where they actually smelled the coffee I was smoking, that is what i try to do.

And as we can see, I am honest, or I think I am. Al Waha Bounty shows that one. I agree with you Sambooka, honesty is the best thing to give everyone.

Hope that didn't come off in a bad way, just stating what I do during my videos and why I give such high ratings.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir

Last edited by CaptHowdy; February 1st, 2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:38 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Hey everyone .. I am getting some PMs and feeling like this is going in the wrong direction!?

Seriously .. just want to be sure ya all keep it real, keep it honest .. keep it unbiased!

Cheers!

Old February 1st, 2010, 02:45 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

I think an important separation to make as a reviewer is that you are reviewing the tobacco itself not the vendor who provided it per se. Just because you don't like the tobacco doesn't mean you don't like the provider(in the most case). At least this is the way I look at the reviews as a reflection of the quality of the tobacco not of the provider.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:51 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Thank You SamBooka!!!!! Reviews is what started me on Nakhla I started reading all the reviews as I had done now with Layalina (for I found a shop selling that in South Afrika) as there is certain flavors I like sad to say no review for their Apricot flavor up yet. The reviews opened my eyes that there is more to just plonking a flavor in the bowl and smoking it and I actually taste the tobacco now dip finger in the juice and taste it to see how close to the original it is some of the flavors are delicious and some just basically taste all chemical. As I am not blessed with the unlimited Bandwidth and speed of Internet connection as you have in the USA Video reviews are treated with care. Therefore the written reviews for me are paramount. I value the honest and unbiased opinions of the members with the reviews they do a lot.
Share with your friends on facebook