Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Keep Your Reviews HONEST! and UNBIASED!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 1st, 2010, 02:53 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe
Default Re: Keep Your Reviews HONEST! and UNBIASED!

This is the biggest problem with German reviews. The most reviewers produce their own stuff and give it a high rating, other reviewers get paid or get tobacco and other hookah stuff for free, so they dont really do honest reviews anymore.
thats why i like the reviews here! keep the reviews here honest!
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:54 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
Agreed ..

I don't like the rating system much either. I am thinking about changing mine to a 1-5 as well.

Cheers!
Honestly the rating system that people use here isn't very good in that it's rare that people say why exactly they like something, how they determine the score they give it and describe products in such a way that I can tell what it's like. The truth is that there only a few people who write reviews that are worth reading.

What I suggest is that people take a look at the review format i've been using which are here - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/searc...earchid=287761

I haven't gotten any feedback on my reviews but i've done my best to make them descriptive and have a scoring system that lets people know how I decide how good something is.
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:55 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

If it's one thing I hate is watching reviews of a tobacco and they're all good and give the tobacco good ratings. Then I buy the tobacco and the flavor lasts like 10 minutes and the tobacco was really a waste of money.

Well said, Sambooka!
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:55 PM
KyleTheJustin
Hookah Newbie

I might have dropped a "Hookah John is the best vendor ever" line in my video, but I stand by it! Hookah John, 10/10

Oh, and AW Melon is a 10, too. I agree, though. Honest reviews help people out a lot. Most of my favorite flavors came from reviews that I trusted on this site.
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:58 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSebsch View Post
If it's one thing I hate is watching reviews of a tobacco and they're all good and give the tobacco good ratings. Then I buy the tobacco and the flavor lasts like 10 minutes and the tobacco was really a waste of money.

Well said, Sambooka!
Thank you for the idea you just gave me!
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
the thing i hate seeing the most is people who review brands that they state firmly they dislike greatly, and then review a product by said brand giving it no lee way, often compareing it to what they dont liek about the brand as a whole. i know this is a valid opinion but in all honestly,if you smoke lets say NAK or AF exclucivly, and think that SB or TANG is absolute trash, never smoke it, never liked it, never will like it. you really shouldnt review it, its honest and stright forward, but if your biased agenst a whole brand then even if your honest opinions arnt ment to be biased, they are.
Good points. I think it's safe to say you'll never see me reviewing Fantasia/Cuzzinz/SB/Epic or any other band I hate for the simple reason that I know I can't be unbiased. On the other hand, when I review products from brands that I do like I make a real effort to be as descriptive as possible so that people know what the product is like. I actively work to avoid say that something sucks or is great but instead say how some something, smokes, tastes, smells, is packed etc.
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:00 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxxie View Post
[Just like 10s are rare, 1s should be as well. I think being a fair rater isn't a reason to "not be welcomed here." Don't you think by saying that the people who believe you are speaking about them will now stop actually reviewing in fear that you wont think it's fair and will be removed from the site?
If a member is receiving a product for free in order to give an honest review for a contest to win a prize and said member isnt giving truly honest reviews then they do not belong here. That is pretty much being dishonest and deceiving others who might count on the review to make up their mind on purchasing the product. If a person believes that this was addressed to them maybe they are feeling guilty for not giving an honest review? Why else would they feel it was directed at them?
Everyones taste buds are different and everyone has different opinions on products but if someone is purposefully giving a wrong rating isnt that dishonest?

Last edited by Sambooka; February 1st, 2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: editted to fix quotation brackets
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:05 PM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

I believe Im honest. I dont want to say something shitty is good because I dont want someone to buy something that I already made the mistake of buying and wasting money on
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
Thank you for the idea you just gave me!
Watching reviews before buying tobacco?

You're welcome!
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSebsch View Post
Watching reviews before buying tobacco?

You're welcome!
LMAO! No, stopping my video after I finish summing up everything and then picking it back up about 20-30 minutes later and let you know how it still smokes.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:16 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

You make a good point SamB i have bought plenty of tobacco in the past that people said was the next best thing a perfect 10 and when i tried it, it was ok at best, not gonna name names, but it was mainly Jm's and Fantasia stuff i dont know if they were paid reviewers or really liked the product, but i couldnt stand it
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
LMAO! No, stopping my video after I finish summing up everything and then picking it back up about 20-30 minutes later and let you know how it still smokes.
I always give a tobacco a few sessions at least before I review it. I have only done one review on a first session and I mention that fact in the video. I feel one session is never enough to fully judge a tobacco.

<----I like this!
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:24 PM
KyleTheJustin
Hookah Newbie

You kinda inspired me to try that with Mizo Guava, Dee. I've never consumed a guava--or 90% of other fruits--so maybe I'll give that one a go when it gets here. I like the "first impression" reviews. I vote that we start posting up drunk reviews! How much more honest could you get? I'll do one this weekend with some support....
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:36 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I think too that some people just tend to rate high, or rate low. It seems like in watching video reviews that a lot of people will give a 7 to something they describe as being average. This was the main reason I never did number ratings in the past.

In my latest video I decided to try a 1-5 scale. I think it's easier to use and understand.

1. Unbearable for whatever reason.
2. Has some decent qualities, maybe good smoke or whatever but lacks too much in other areas to be recommended.
3. Average. Not bad all around. Will definitely finish what I have, may or may not buy again.
4. Above average, will likely buy again.
5. Way above average, will definitely keep in stock.

Of course, it's all a matter of opinion in the end. People have different tastes and use different methods.
doing this from now on
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:42 PM
unicycleboy3190
Hookah Pro

thats why i have dropped down to a 1-5 scale cause someones 5 could be anothers 8 and i am always honest cause why lie and make people thing its great but get something thats crap

Old February 1st, 2010, 03:45 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jride View Post
I believe Im honest. I dont want to say something shitty is good because I dont want someone to buy something that I already made the mistake of buying and wasting money on
Yeah I've been there before .. and let me tell you I was pissed off! I got some of the crappiest tobacco I have ever smelt! I would never want someone to watch a review of mine and run out and buy something .. then be like wtf is this a joke!?? Like I said .. it is why I got into this .. to share knowledge and opinions that aren't powered by the almighty dollar or joe schmo the shisha tobacco manufacturer or vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelbadboy2006 View Post
You make a good point SamB i have bought plenty of tobacco in the past that people said was the next best thing a perfect 10 and when i tried it, it was ok at best, not gonna name names, but it was mainly Jm's and Fantasia stuff i dont know if they were paid reviewers or really liked the product, but i couldnt stand it
Yeah it sucks when people are "compensated" or "encouraged" to do reviews! Very misleading. But thankfully you can always check Hookah Pro for reviews, or even ask about it in chat and get a ton of responses! You can tell the difference between fanboys and sincere here.

A couple years ago I started doing vendor reviews anonymously. But then some people started doing vendor reviews in exchange for a couple extra samples or a free upgrade. So they would say "yeah it is great shipping, blahblahblah!" It was so shady and so tainted from what I was trying to do, that I stopped doing vendor reviews. Because they became pointless after being abused by people only concerned with themselves and what they could get out of the deal. Uggg it makes me cringe to think how diabolicaly shady people can be.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:46 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I think too that some people just tend to rate high, or rate low. It seems like in watching video reviews that a lot of people will give a 7 to something they describe as being average. This was the main reason I never did number ratings in the past.

In my latest video I decided to try a 1-5 scale. I think it's easier to use and understand.

1. Unbearable for whatever reason.
2. Has some decent qualities, maybe good smoke or whatever but lacks too much in other areas to be recommended.
3. Average. Not bad all around. Will definitely finish what I have, may or may not buy again.
4. Above average, will likely buy again.
5. Way above average, will definitely keep in stock.

Of course, it's all a matter of opinion in the end. People have different tastes and use different methods.
The 1-5 scale is all fine and well except that it doesn't say why exactly something is any given number or rate in any precise way how the reviewer weighs smoke quality/amount Vs. taste Vs. longevity Vs. smell or the overall value of the product. Take at look at my reviews and let me know what you think of the approach when you have a few minutes.
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:46 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleTheJustin View Post
You kinda inspired me to try that with Mizo Guava, Dee. I've never consumed a guava--or 90% of other fruits--so maybe I'll give that one a go when it gets here. I like the "first impression" reviews. I vote that we start posting up drunk reviews! How much more honest could you get? I'll do one this weekend with some support....
LOL! Most of my early videos are drunk reviews! hahaha

see "Cleaning a Hookah with Beer!" haha!

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:50 PM
KyleTheJustin
Hookah Newbie

hahahaha, classic. I'm just brutally honest when I'm drunk, so my reviews will be very spot on and blunt. I'll try to post one up this weekend. Hopefully my new order arrives in time.
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:51 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Just don't overdue the liquid honesty .. lol .. then it just becomes annoying!

Old February 1st, 2010, 03:51 PM
DanyalAkkaya
Hookah Pro

This was a very necessary post. A lot of the members look to the reviews to help them make their decisions, we wouldn't want to steer them the wrong way. Everyone has the own tastes and opinions so let them be heard! Don't let others say it for you!
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:55 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
The 1-5 scale is all fine and well except that it doesn't say why exactly something is any given number or rate in any precise way how the reviewer weighs smoke quality/amount Vs. taste Vs. longevity Vs. smell or the overall value of the product. Take at look at my reviews and let me know what you think of the approach when you have a few minutes.
I agree. Keep in mind I'm using the 1-5 scale strictly for video reviews and as such can freely talk about what ever pertinent points I feel are necessary. In the past I never bothered giving a number at all so the 1-5 is just a way to sort of sum up the review.

I do like your format for written reviews. I'm curious though about the max number of points for each category. Is it a max of 50 for each?
EDIT: NEVER MIND I FIGURED IT OUT!!

Last edited by Dee; February 1st, 2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:55 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyalAkkaya View Post
This was a very necessary post. A lot of the members look to the reviews to help them make their decisions, we wouldn't want to steer them the wrong way. Everyone has the own tastes and opinions so let them be heard! Don't let others say it for you!
Thanks Danyal .. I totally agree! SPEAK what is on YOUR mind! Not someone else!

This thread will reappear from time to time I am sure .. or at least be recreated from time to time. It is necessary for our community!

Old February 1st, 2010, 03:56 PM
Dr Shisha
Hookah Nut

totally agree with this post.
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:57 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

If I think it's shyt, I'll say it's shyt. Whether it be a vendor or a tobacco, I'll give my honest experience with it. For me honesty and integrity are important, if you don't have those then what are you left with?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook