Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Underwhelmed with Overpack

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Shushyne4np2ne Send a message via Yahoo to Shushyne4np2ne
Default Underwhelmed with Overpack

So today I decided to try the overpack. I went by Dee's video and set the coals on and let them sit after rotating them and I gotta say, it was not that good. I got nothing but subtle and sort of smoky burnt flavors... I might be doing something wrong, but we shall see... Overpack defenders sound off!

Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Underwhelmed with Overpack

Hard to say what you're doing "wrong". How many coals? In general you need less heat than you normally would for a given bowl. About the only other thing I can think of would be amount of tobacco used. You need to have full contact with the foil and want it to actually be "packed" into the bowl. Once the top layer of tobacco seers itself to the foil, there should be no more burning, assuming there isn't too much heat.

To be honest, I don't use the overpack method anymore. I had good results with it but after going back and forth I settled on a normal packing method.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
shawnwhyte
Hookah Pro

Did you push the tobacco down too much with the foil? When there is a big mound on top, and a distance away from the burnt layer next to the foil and the fresh stuff at the bottom of the bowl it works. At least thats how I pictured it when I did it.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Shushyne4np2ne Send a message via Yahoo to Shushyne4np2ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Hard to say what you're doing "wrong". How many coals? In general you need less heat than you normally would for a given bowl. About the only other thing I can think of would be amount of tobacco used. You need to have full contact with the foil and want it to actually be "packed" into the bowl. Once the top layer of tobacco seers itself to the foil, there should be no more burning, assuming there isn't too much heat.

To be honest, I don't use the overpack method anymore. I had good results with it but after going back and forth I settled on a normal packing method.
I used 2 quarter sticks of exotica. I think I'm just gonna stick with the normal pack for now. Until then, on with my headache! LOL.

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook