Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Narghiles In Botswana

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 5th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Narghiles In Botswana

Just in case anyone was wondering if this passion that many of hold is global the mater has been settled since I discovered that moassel is smoked even in Botswana.

Basically I'm here for a bit trying to hawk a continuous bakery and warehouse complex and while I have a lot of anxiety about being this part of the world again as well as bouts of depression and angst things have been, realistically speaking, pretty good.

I love hearing people speak Tswana, drinking bush tea and seeing the amazingly clear clear sky. I also found by accident a little shop in the capital (gabarone) a tobacco shop owned by Seikh family that has a few crappy Chinese rigs and surprisingly, some decent tobacco and coals. I picked up some dark, Iranian style tombac from Jordan, a big can of Abu Itrah jurak and Petra honey flavoured moassel which I am excited about trying although I think someone said that Petra is just Al Waha repackaged. He also has a fair amount of Afzal and and Al Waha and bidis which is far more then I ever expected to find here.

The owner of the shop is a brother of the one of the investor types I've been meeting with on business and I find it interesting that Seikhs are so prominent in the business community here. Anyway, the shop owner and I got to talking and he invited me to dinner which was great since I got to have homemade Indian food and beer and we got to talk about classical Indian music and huqqa which is always a pleasure. After the meal we all got to sit out on his balcony smoking Ahmad Jurak's excellent Kaas jurak and listen to everything Ali Akbar Khan & Subramaniam to King Crimson, Gallery of Mites and Toe Fat.

Honestly I find it amazing that something as simple as a water pipe can have such an appeal and provide so many people with so much pleasure and so many chances to socialize all over the globe. That such a thing is possible is very amazing in my opinion.
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Hookah Lungs
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Narghiles In Botswana

Great to hear that this tradition extends so far. Hopefully this will allow you to enjoy your stay in South Africa a bit more. Best of luck!
Old February 5th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Shushyne4np2ne Send a message via Yahoo to Shushyne4np2ne

Holy crap, I thought I was the only one that listened to King Crimson. Anyway, great post Hajo once again.

Old February 5th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

King Crimson FTW!
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Funny thing about King Crimson, I was driving around to day in Francistown trolling for business annoying the hell out of my bodyguards listening to King Crimson and Gentle Giant. My rather uptight chaperons it seems only listen to lame heavy metal stuff from the U.S./U.K. and think that choice of music is too arty and posh.

Anyhow, in Francistown ( a decent sized city of at least 100,000 and a former mining center) I went to meet with an engineer that I am consulting with and it turns out he's a customer of the same Seikh family I mentioned earlier and he's a bit a huqqa noob but a nice enough guy. Turns out he wasn't happy with the Chinese rig he bought and decided to build his own and took route that I hadn't thought of. He had an old Panther single cylinder motor cycle engine with a cracked head and dumped out the innards and turned it into huqqa. He used a bit of brass pipe that he attached a bit of carved amber to which served the same function as a hose. The pipe threaded into one of vale openings and it looked quite stunning. Not too traditional but damn creative although I imagine cleaning it would be a real chore.

As we checked it out we shared a beer, talked about business stuff, listened to Orange Sunshine, which is a pretty bad ass thing to do while talking shop, and smoked jurak. All in all i'd say it was a successful although the boss likely won't agree.
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:49 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

All I can say is welcome Home Hajo no matter how far they wander the Children of Africa must come home to replenish their spirit.
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:19 PM
NazUk
Hookah Nut

another chapter keep em coming Great Read thanks
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:16 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NazUk View Post
another chapter keep em coming Great Read thanks
Indeed!

I've been lucky enough to be listening to King Crimson since I was 16 or 17 and have met a few people who love them too. They're actually (seemingly) a lot more popular than people seem to realize, I remember thinking the same though.
Old February 6th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by glostersa View Post
All I can say is welcome Home Hajo no matter how far they wander the Children of Africa must come home to replenish their spirit.
Thanks Gloster. I suppose you are right but it's strange that I something draws me to this part of the world. After all, my experiences here have been overwhelmingly negative to say the least and as a Eurocentric type person life here doesn't really fit with my view of things. Still, I am drawn nonetheless.
I still like to hear people speak Afrikaans, I hum the Die Stem van Suid Afrika and the national anthem of Rhodesia and I still cry ever time I hear this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtKKJ...eature=related I guess this part of the world is a part of me for better or for worse.
Old February 6th, 2010, 03:36 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

That is why any South African who hears the music of Johnny Clegg starts dancing Hajo for the spirit of Africa speaks to them
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by glostersa View Post
That is why any South African who hears the music of Johnny Clegg starts dancing Hajo for the spirit of Africa speaks to them
Johnny Clegg's music is fantastic and he seems like a great guy ( I meet him once in Durban circa '84) and no doubt that the RSA of old produced some great music.
Old February 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Early today I got to meet an old fashioned Lutheran circuit riding pastor that I guess must be about my age. Tough, well built old geezer that came to Gabarone (i'm back there for the day/night) for a religious conference/convention and met him by chance while eating breakfast. Since I grew up Lutheran (a hard thing to do in the old USSR) and my father was a keen fan of all things theological who, like the pastor smoked a clay Church Warden's pipe so I talked with him and found him to be an old school, orthodox type clergyman totally out of place in a permissive world of cultural Bolshevism so naturally we got on well.

Anyway, the pastor noticed my can of Abu Itrah in my briefcase and ask about it. He got interested in narghile stuff so I took him up to my hotel room and showed him how it works and we sat a bit having a nice chat, smoking, listening to Dave Brubeck and Keith Jarrett and talking about the old days. All in a great respite from an other wise stressful day which gave the world a new narghile fan.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook