Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

I finally got my KM, but...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 14th, 2010, 04:05 PM
bigbodybussey
Hookah Newbie

Location: Backwoods, rural, please move your tractor out of the damn road, Georgia.
Exclamation I finally got my KM, but...

Ok guys, I just received my KM from hookah john and I could not be happier. I cleaned the stem and base and started putting it together...and now I have some issues.

The grommet, wtf? It is a michelin tire of a gromet....it is thick as hell and good quality, but I can not get it into the base. I have tried wetting it, then heating it, have tried putting it into the base and then tried to put the stem into it while inside the base, etc. I need some help with this....cause I am at the point that I am thinking about cutting the inside of the grommet little by little to see if it will fit.....any ideas?

next, the hose port....I have the KM pro "AS" hose...so do I need a grommet for the hose port or do I just crank the hose into it to make it as airtight as possible?

Thanks for the help....
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:20 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX
Default Re: I finally got my KM, but...

Sand the bad boy.
Also, use a grommet for the hose port lol.
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:23 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

I know my grommets did not fit all that well either. The steam/base grommet if removed and placed into the base is a perfect fit. However when you put it on the stem, it is a really snug fit once in the base. I could not get it in all the way and did not want to force it in. So just use gentle force and wiggle it into place.

When it comes to the grommets, I found that the provided hose grommet was too small for the hose. I ended up using the bowl grommet to get a seal for the Narbisch hose. Luckily I had another bowl grommet to use and was not out anything. I will end up ordering a Silicone batch as I hear those are more compressible then the standard rubber style.

Most of all, be careful and do not force anything. Good luck man.
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Einherjer
Hookah Nut

I got to two hose grommets with my Km 1001 Nights, and it took some playing with to fit that fat As Pro hose in there. You really got strong arm that badboy into it, thats what she said.
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM
bigbodybussey
Hookah Newbie

Location: Backwoods, rural, please move your tractor out of the damn road, Georgia.

ok, well I only received the grommet for the base and the grommet for the bowl, but no hose port grommet....so sand the grommet...what kind of paper or does it matter?
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:50 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

I would use between an 80-100 grit. Or start our rough grit 40-60 and then switch over to a finishing 120 or so. It will honestly be more work then what it is worth but, I am sure you are excited and wanting to use your new toy. Any local shops you could pick up a silicone set?
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:58 PM
bigbodybussey
Hookah Newbie

The closest shop to me would be close to 2 hours away...so I am S.O.L. as far as a hose port grommet goes. Do any of you have a KM, if so, can you do me a favor and post for me a pic of your hose port grommet and your bowl grommet...because this bowl grommet is not very thick at all in comparison to others I have seen....

and where can I buy a KM hose grommet on-line?
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Einherjer
Hookah Nut

Left to Right: Bowl Grommet, Hose Grommet(big), Hose Grommet(kind of like my Af Hose Grommet)

Sorry about the pics, only have a phone
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:41 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

A fairly common issue with hookahs. The grommet can be cut or sanded down but personally I just upgrade to layered silicone grommets for most hookahs I own eventually.

You should use a grommet. Some hoses can be forced into a solid seal but a grommet is really the best option.
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:09 PM
uk_shisha_king
Hookah Nut

If you can then try getting some new grommets. Sometimes I change between gromets depending on the bowl, hose or base I use. If not then the sanding technique or use electrical tape to make a seal between the bowl, hose,... I would definitely use a gromet/tape to create a seal for the hose otherwise the hose might slip off or it wont a nice seal.
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM
bigbodybussey
Hookah Newbie

Ok, I sanded down the vase grommet to where it fits nicely now.

Thanks for the pics...I do have the right grommet for the bowl ...which confirms that I don't have the grommet for the hose...damn

So I guess I will buy some large hose grommets on-line and seal the hose with silicone tape until the grommets get here...Anyone know of an online store that is located in georgia, or florida that carries the grommets I need?
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

wish i saw this to chime in earlier. i always wet new stem grommets by running them under water for a second while the grommet is on the stem, then they just pop right in. either way you took care of yourself so good to hear. on the hose grommet, you should have one but if not don't sweat it, i have stopped using a hose grommet on my KM's for quite sometime. I find that they actually make the hose easier to pop out, so i go bare back on the hose (what she said)
hope it all works out but i can send you another hose grommet if you need.
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:06 PM
bigbodybussey
Hookah Newbie

Hey john....thanks for the hookah....it is excellent....and I could not be happier. I remembered what you said about wetting the grommet when you called me, but I just couldnt manage it into the hole (that's not what she said, well maybe ).

The whole bareback hose...thats why I was asking...the hose fits pretty snug as is...but I know that everyone talks about a hose grommet, so I didn't know if I was good to smoke with or without one.

Either way I wrapped two thin layers of silicone tape around the hose.... and it is ridiculously tight (that's what she told me )...so I am good to go.

Plus it wont matter in a week or so when I get a narbish from ya...I may spring for the grommet then.

Thanks to all for your help.
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

I go bareback on the KM hose ports as well.
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:07 AM
ataneja
Hookah Newbie

My problem isn't usually with getting it in the base, but more so getting it out...takes a lot of elbow grease...any ideas?
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:32 AM
andino
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to andino Send a message via Skype™ to andino

Einherjer - are you silicon groments that you have? Trying to figure out if I have rubber or silicone. I know my base/stem one is rubber but the rest of mine are clear like that
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Einherjer
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Einherjer - are you silicon groments that you have? Trying to figure out if I have rubber or silicone. I know my base/stem one is rubber but the rest of mine are clear like that
they feel siloconish, but all the rubber ones I have from my other hookahs are a black rubber.
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:46 AM
RedbullZ
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RedbullZ

When my KM from HJ came in, the hose grommet was stuffed inside the bowl grommet in the bottom of the bowl. At first I thought he forgot it!
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:34 AM
BigE
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to BigE

Just an idea for vendors. Whenever I recieved a new Hookah, I had to search around the foam peanuts for the grommets,and I thought the same thing "They forgot the grommets"; but they were there,just hard to find. If I was a vendor, I would place the hose and bowl grommets inside the vase for shipping and maybe enclose a note saying where they are.?
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Black_Mamba
Hookah Pro

You could always try a small piece of a wet paper towel to use as a hose grommet for now
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:13 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

The stem grommet I got for my generic was wayy too big, had to sand that badboy for a while. I hope everything works out for you, I tried wet paper towel for the hose and that worked.
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:31 PM
bigbodybussey
Hookah Newbie

I have everything worked out now...I sanded the base grommet to the point that I can get the stem into the base now with a little force...but it is still a little struggle taking it out....but in a funnier note, I picked up our chihuahas bed today...only to find the missing hose grommet with small teeth marks on the edge....so John didn't forget to pack the grommet.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook