Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Please Fix Your Signatures!

Hookah Discussion

Closed Thread Share

Old February 16th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Please Fix Your Signatures!

Signatures are GROWING around here and becoming animated too!??

OK .. sorry to do this, but if you have a pic in your signature it needs to be no bigger than 500px Width and no bigger than 100px Height.

NO ANIMATION!

An image that is 500X100 or 400X75 or 200X100 etc. are all fine. So long as they are within the dimensions of 500X100

If we can't get this straightened away, we will have no other choice than to remove pics from signatures

Thank you for your cooperation.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:09 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Default Re: Please Fix Your Signatures!

what about text? because ive seen people that literally have 1/2 a page of text in their sig
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuworldorder View Post
what about text? because ive seen people that literally have 1/2 a page of text in their sig
You are right .. well I suppose we can just remove signatures all together?? Everybody can thank you later ..

.. to be honest gnu, it was your ginormous image that prompted us to finally have to enforce our signature size limit of 500X100 .. because reading a thread with your signature was like reading a scroll! My finger got tired of rolling the scroll wheel!

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:18 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

i fully support this idea. i hate pictures in sigs altogether. they slow the computer down and they are boring once you've seen them 5 times in a row.
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Special K
Hookah Nut

I don't use a signature at the moment so I don't care...but why the ban on animation? If it meets the 500x100 limitation and is a linked URL...I don't know why animation would be bad...is it a bandwidth issue? If people are linking to an external URL does it have an effect on HP?

Just curious...like I said, I don't care =)
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:22 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
You are right .. well I suppose we can just remove signatures all together?? Everybody can thank you later ..

.. to be honest gnu, it was your ginormous image that prompted us to finally have to enforce our signature size limit of 500X100 .. because reading a thread with your signature was like reading a scroll! My finger got tired of rolling the scroll wheel!
theres no need to go off the deep end man. i didnt think there was a difference between image size and text size in sigs. you said something and i fixed it.
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hookah Newb
Hookah Nut

Haha, no wonder my sig was removed! I figured it had something to do with bandwidths though.

I'll just keep what my setup and favs list in there
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

We are considering removal of all images in signatures based on usergroups. We will know more in the next few days after thinking it over a little more and seeing how everybody handles this request. We appreciate the help in resizing your signature images to within the guidelines.

Thank You .. Sambooka

Old February 16th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Nyxxie
Hookah Nut

Erm... I'm sorry but this is honestly really ridiculous. Like... REALLY ridiculous.
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:00 PM
erok623
Hookah Nut

i support this idea also, sometimes when im trying to scroll down on a thread my computer freezes for about 10-15 seconds when i come to someones signature with animation. it would be a lot better without the crazy signatures. i have a mac and it's not common for my computer to freeze up it only happens when im on the forums.

26"KM Kafae / 28"MZ Oracle / 17"Egyptian / 10"Blueberry Hookah / MYA Bambino
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Nyxxie
Hookah Nut

Macs can't handle graphics? That's ironic. lol.
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:04 PM
erok623
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxxie View Post
Erm... I'm sorry but this is honestly really ridiculous. Like... REALLY ridiculous.
nyxxie what i think sambooka is trying to say is, you can still have a signature but not a ridiculously huge signature with animation, i think your signature was fine its just the others that causes other peoples computers to freeze or it makes it annoying to keep scrolling down just to get past a signature.

Old February 16th, 2010, 05:05 PM
jDizzy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to jDizzy

I fixed mine.
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Biloshambles
Hookah Nut

I agree... I guess signatures are cool for people who live on the internet lol, I think its cheesy...
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:06 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Quote:
How is this a ridiculous request? I think its completely acceptable. Large images and animations in sigs is annoying, they may be funny the first time you see them but after seeing it in 100 times it gets annoying. Also it eats up bandwidth and causes the site to lag and with the site growing the more people that have elaborate sigs the worse the problem will be.
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:08 PM
manjaco
Hookah Aficionado

I have my sig resized on flickr but i can't figure out how to make it my sig. I try to upload it as a image to hp using the link to the pic but it just has a question mark...anyone have some advise?
Nyxxie
Hookah Nut

I think the restrictions are really way too restrictive. Going from unlimited size to 500x100 is just crazy, in my humble opinion. I think it should have been more lenient to see how it works on, only constricting the dimensions when the initial size restriction posed a problem.

Yes, Signatures are only for people who "live" on the internet. That's a great observation. I guess I should go outside and see what these things people are talking about called "trees."

I think it's about expressing yourself. I say get rid of them all together.
erok623
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Macs can't handle graphics? That's ironic. lol.
yah that's what i said... my mac never freezes!! it only happens when i try to scroll and theres an animated signature.

Old February 16th, 2010, 05:09 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahman1988 View Post
How is this a ridiculous request? I think its completely acceptable. Large images and animations in sigs is annoying, they may be funny the first time you see them but after seeing it in 100 times it gets annoying. Also it eats up bandwidth and causes the site to lag and with the site growing the more people that have elaborate sigs the worse the problem will be.
if they are hosted 3rd party the only bandwidth they take is sending the url of the image. and not to be a pain in the dick but you can block image sigs with something like ab+ but you cant block someones sig that has 8+lines if text which takes equal amounts of space if not more
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:10 PM
unicycleboy3190
Hookah Pro

i think mine is ok right?

Old February 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

If I remember correctly you can limit the signature/avatar size in PHP from the User Control Panel. Try finding a plug-in that automatically does this when someone attempts to upload an image outside of the range you are requesting. Worse case, warn everyone of the impending doom, remove all signatures, then set the standard so everyone can readjust and upload the appropriate size.

Removing sigs entirely, is a no no. It is one small way people get to express themselves and stand out in a rather large community. I may not remember what you said but I sure bet I remember that picture with the crazy guy smoking a hookah, or some such nonsense.
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:15 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjaco View Post
I have my sig resized on flickr but i can't figure out how to make it my sig. I try to upload it as a image to hp using the link to the pic but it just has a question mark...anyone have some advise?
What file format? I think .jpg .gif and .png are accepted.
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Special K
Hookah Nut

Just make it a requirement that all sigs cannot be uploaded - instead must be linked to a hosting site. Saves HP's bandwidth.
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:17 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMALIKIA View Post
If I remember correctly you can limit the signature/avatar size in PHP from the User Control Panel. Try finding a plug-in that automatically does this when someone attempts to upload an image outside of the range you are requesting. Worse case, warn everyone of the impending doom, remove all signatures, then set the standard so everyone can readjust and upload the appropriate size.

Removing sigs entirely, is a no no. It is one small way people get to express themselves and stand out in a rather large community. I may not remember what you said but I sure bet I remember that picture with the crazy guy smoking a hookah, or some such nonsense.
the problem with that is every time the page loads the server has to resize the image. i ran a phpbb forum when i was runing a linux repo and there was an option to limit size of sigs including text and images but this is vbulletin
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:18 PM
VanMeets
Hookah Newbie

Resize with a program like Irfanview.
Closed Thread Share
Share with your friends on facebook