Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Please Fix Your Signatures!

Hookah Discussion

Closed Thread Share

Old February 16th, 2010, 06:12 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Default Re: Please Fix Your Signatures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMALIKIA View Post
This way only the content of the image needs to be moderated instead of the forum nazis having to review each person's sig to meet the standard. Wipe the slate clean, institute the standard, and everyone re-sizes and reloads their sigs.
who exactly are you reffering to as forum nazis DRMALIKIA?
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

The requested size of signatures being 500X100 has always been the rule. We didn't enforce it until it became a real issue. It's funny how whenever we ask that people follow the rules, there are a few that come out with torches and hayforks. C'mon folks be civil and understand that it's no big deal.
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

I changed my signature in order to stay in compliance with the rules. The old signatures were making my 10 year old Macintosh lag, IDK why
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Guido
Hookah Nut

Are we really complaining over a issue of signatures on a free forum. Please grow up. Change it and go along with life. sorry just my 2 cents.
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Nyxxie
Hookah Nut

Yes, we are. Consider me 5 years old if that's the case.
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
caveman
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to caveman

I agree with no animation every time I scoll past any it slows my computer down.
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:03 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Check

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxxie View Post
I think the restrictions are really way too restrictive. Going from unlimited size to 500x100 is just crazy, in my humble opinion. I think it should have been more lenient to see how it works on, only constricting the dimensions when the initial size restriction posed a problem.

Yes, Signatures are only for people who "live" on the internet. That's a great observation. I guess I should go outside and see what these things people are talking about called "trees."

I think it's about expressing yourself. I say get rid of them all together.
I guess when you dip into your own pocket to pay the bandwith charges around here then you have the right to say the restrictions are too restrictive, but until then lets stop telling the site owner that you dont like his rules, thats three times now you have done it and its getting old fast.
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Nyxxie
Hookah Nut

Excuse me for having an opinion. I forgot we all need to conform to the same opinion around here. You're right. I'm wrong. My apologies.
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

everytime a rule is mentioned around here you have something negative to say about it, fact of the matter is Sambooka pays for this forum out of his own pocket. His house, his rules. Have an opinion if you like but be respectful. Thats the last friendly warning I am handing out today. If you think you have to conform to the site owners opinions and you dont like it then dont log into the site. No one is forcing you and your negativity to be here.
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Nyxxie
Hookah Nut

Good day then
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:48 PM
manjaco
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe View Post
I guess when you dip into your own pocket to pay the bandwith charges around here then you have the right to say the restrictions are too restrictive, but until then lets stop telling the site owner that you dont like his rules, thats three times now you have done it and its getting old fast.
After hearing this my sig WILL be fixed. If someone would spend their own money to support the community then the least we could do is make it cheaper for this individual. This is a small way to reduce cost. So view this sacrifice as giving back to the HP community.
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Thanks for understanding Manjaco. Most forums I visit have similar rules about sigs and I dont think this is an unreasonable request.
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM
uk_shisha_king
Hookah Nut

If it helps the forum then it helps the members then its a good thing. C'mon guys Sam created this forum for the hookah community, for us. Just follow his rules, he didnt say to get rid of them, he only sed resize them. Im greatful to him coz I'm learning new things and its free.
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:24 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

This is a standard rule on forums. Even ones owned by giant corporations. I don't think Sambooka is a giant corporation (if he is I need to borrow some cash bro) so just relax folks.

I'll fix my sig right now. It needs to be changed to something new anyway.

Edit: Oh you did it for me, well I'll replace it anyway.
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:32 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

I think that if you take away pics in signatures, you should also limit the amount of writing you can do in it as well.

People complain about seeing the same sigs over and over again, yet, IMO, they're more entertaining than somebody's favorite tobacco flavors, bowls, bases, hookahs, etc.

I think that pics in sigs make the post a little more readable and easier to distunguish. Members that don't have an Avatar or a Signature kinda just blend together, IMO. They all look the same, they all sound the same, and I just can't distinguish.

If it's a bandwidth issue, then just do as other members have suggested. Limit the amount of pixels or make it mandatory to just post a link instead of uploading the whole pic.

It also amazes me how easily some members can get blatantly offensive in a post like this. Posting your opinion on this matter is no big deal and it should be taken into consideration by everybody. But calling somebody a 'dick' is unacceptable, IMO, and should immediately be removed by the Mods and replaced with a warning.

People complain about the 'Serious Discussion' board, yet I've now seen it get worse in the other sections of the forums numerous times than it ever has in the 'Serious Discussion' section.
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

I am locking this down. Please read the original post and heed the warning. This is not up for debate, this requires no further discussion.
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

OK this was an interesting thread to read ..

I ripped my awesome jeans that my wife bought me while moving her couch into our house. So I'm feeling mad! Just kidding .. it's all good we will try to fix them.

Ok, is the tension lightened up a little?

.. about this thread. The signature image size has ALWAYS been 500x100. But I opened it up so we could host off of other sites via the IMG tag. But when I did that it was years ago and under the assumption that we would all stay within the 500X100 rectangular box. Occasionally we would have to call someone out in private through a PM. But not very often. If people were pretty close to the right size we let it go. Lately there has been a lot of animation (which does slow down page compilation) and signature images that are larger than 500x100 (which is a reasonable size and generous for a signature image)

All we were asking was for people utilizing the IMG tage to make their signature conform to the 500x100 size limitations and leave out the animation. It isn't to be "big brother" it is strictly for better load time and overall aesthetics of this forum.

I don't want to remove the ability to add via the IMG tag but that looks to be the only way to resolve this. So starting Thursday morning, we will be starting fresh! Relax it won't be that bad .. we will be removing all signatures and starting fresh! Think of it as spring cleaning. So back yours up between now and then if you want to reuse your text. New rules and size limitations will be put into place based on usergroups. Members with 100 posts and above will be allowed to upload signature images.

This is nothing to get overly excited about .. it is just a signature. The content is what is really important. We are just trying to make the content the number one priority.

If anybody complains, please feel free to cut and paste.

Thanks for understanding and your cooperation .. The Hookah Pro Staff

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

unlocked
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Keep it civil please .. Most of you know why we "HAVE" to do this and are very understanding .. Thank You

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:40 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

Shoot... I was just about to lecture people about other forums having a 500x100 pixel limit and ONLY 250 characters of text including the pic link and BBcode, then I refresh to find y'all have already kicked *ss and taken names.

Sambooka, I just want to take this opportunity and say you are a much more patient man than I am. It helps that you're actually a man, but you get the point. More power to ya, and I'm fairly sure my sig already complies with whatever new regs we're getting on Thursday. Just because of this thread, btw, I will be donating as soon as I get my next paycheck, to help you pay off some of these humongous bandwidth bills.
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:48 PM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

I can definitely see why this needs to be done the way it now should. Browsing right now on my netbook, and sig sizes do play a role in browse-ability. Then considering the bandwidth issues and Sam paying for stuff, I think the rules are well rounded.

And for people having slow down on macs, does that have anything to do with the animations being flash (don't know if they are or not)? I'm a bit of a tech head, so I'd be interest to find out if that is the issue or not.
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Thanks for the great comments faeriekitsune!

Signatures are definitely a great thing and very personable .. I enjoy them a lot actually!

Unfortunately the size, animations and bandwidth have been making some serious advancement and although we hate to do it, this is the best thing for us in the long run.

Thanks again everyone for understanding ..

Just so we are all clear .. Signatures will still be available .. just with a few new rules hard-coded in so that we don't accidentally slip up and go above and beyond again.

Old February 16th, 2010, 11:35 PM
HookahHxc
Hookah Newbie

I support it. Sigs can be small and legit. Theres no reason to go overboard with a big ass picture.
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

Wow Fun Thread to read.. haha... well i do believe my sig is a little beyond the requirements, not sure. but i will get rid of it soon, once i figure something to put there like a saying maybe.
Closed Thread Share
Share with your friends on facebook