Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hand made Syrian pipes vs KM's

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 19th, 2010, 02:18 PM
shishaaaaa
Hookah Newbie

Default Hand made Syrian pipes vs KM's

Hi,

How do the higher quality hand made Syrian pipes hold up compared to KM's in terms of smoke quality/taste etc?

I can link to a particular pipe if needed on ebay?

Also secondly any UK guys know the best site to get a good sized KM from (36-41 inch)? From looking around it seems I'd have to order from the US??

Thanks.
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: Hand made Syrian pipes vs KM's

Syrian narghiles tend to have main-stems that are made out of solid, cast brass or extruded brass main-tubes which are fitted into cast brass or cast stainless steel outer shells. Egyptian narghiles use spun and brazed sheet attached to a stainless steel main-tubes most of the time. They tend to have ash trays that are screwed into place rather then floating and they usually have a removable brass downtube that may or may not be chrome plated. Syrian narghiles usually have a closed common smoke chamber with 4 holes although from time to time you see Egyptian style smoke chambers on Syrian rigs. The best of the Syrian narghiles have built in diffusers in the hoses ports and, rarely, on the down-stem.

Lastly a great many Syrian (as well as Iranian and Lebanese) narghiles are made to be used with a style of bowl that fits into, rather then over, the top of the main-steam. Typically the main-steams meant to be used with Syrian style bowls have a widened vase or flat bowl style attachment welded to the top of the main-stem. In recent years most Syrian narghiles one sees for sale in Western countries are made to work with standard Egyptian style bowls.

Syrian narghiles are almost always very heavy and sturdy and have a lot of intricate carvings on the main-steams.

The glass is, generally but not always, high quality and mostly free from defects.

Syrian hoses are, for the most part, perfectly average unwahsable hoses although occasionally one sees decent washable hoses from Syria.

As to how they smoke, They tend to be slightly restrictive which I prefer because it improves smoke density. If you can get one with built in diffusers you'll definitely notice and like the difference. I have found that Syrian rigs often have down-steams which are too short which results in less smoke volume then would be idea but given that I smoke for taste rather then clouds it makes no difference for me. The one indisputable downside for Syrian narghiles is that the closed common style chamber is a pain to clean so you do need to buy a brush that is a bit out of the ordinary and spend a bit more time scrubbing. If you need to know where to get such a brush just ask.

A typical Syrian style "male" bowl smokes the same as an Egyptian style bowl. Personally I like the ability to use Egyptian style bowls since it means I can use my funnels, vortexes and super chiefs. Ask for a picture of the top of the main-stem before you buy if you are uncertain about what sort of bowl a Syrian narghile can use.

In the end it's a matter of preference if Syrian or Egyptian narghiles are better. Personally I prefer Syrian designs and I think they have better quality control more often then not. Although my KMs are great I think my Syrians are better still.
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

your answers HAJO never cease to amaze me! well said
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM
shishaaaaa
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Syrian narghiles tend to have main-stems that are made out of solid, cast brass or extruded brass main-tubes which are fitted into cast brass or cast stainless steel outer shells. Egyptian narghiles use spun and brazed sheet attached to a stainless steel main-tubes most of the time. They tend to have ash trays that are screwed into place rather then floating and they usually have a removable brass downtube that may or may not be chrome plated. Syrian narghiles usually have a closed common smoke chamber with 4 holes although from time to time you see Egyptian style smoke chambers on Syrian rigs. The best of the Syrian narghiles have built in diffusers in the hoses ports and, rarely, on the down-stem.

Lastly a great many Syrian (as well as Iranian and Lebanese) narghiles are made to be used with a style of bowl that fits into, rather then over, the top of the main-steam. Typically the main-steams meant to be used with Syrian style bowls have a widened vase or flat bowl style attachment welded to the top of the main-stem. In recent years most Syrian narghiles one sees for sale in Western countries are made to work with standard Egyptian style bowls.

Syrian narghiles are almost always very heavy and sturdy and have a lot of intricate carvings on the main-steams.

The glass is, generally but not always, high quality and mostly free from defects.

Syrian hoses are, for the most part, perfectly average unwahsable hoses although occasionally one sees decent washable hoses from Syria.

As to how they smoke, They tend to be slightly restrictive which I prefer because it improves smoke density. If you can get one with built in diffusers you'll definitely notice and like the difference. I have found that Syrian rigs often have down-steams which are too short which results in less smoke volume then would be idea but given that I smoke for taste rather then clouds it makes no difference for me. The one indisputable downside for Syrian narghiles is that the closed common style chamber is a pain to clean so you do need to buy a brush that is a bit out of the ordinary and spend a bit more time scrubbing. If you need to know where to get such a brush just ask.

A typical Syrian style "male" bowl smokes the same as an Egyptian style bowl. Personally I like the ability to use Egyptian style bowls since it means I can use my funnels, vortexes and super chiefs. Ask for a picture of the top of the main-stem before you buy if you are uncertain about what sort of bowl a Syrian narghile can use.

In the end it's a matter of preference if Syrian or Egyptian narghiles are better. Personally I prefer Syrian designs and I think they have better quality control more often then not. Although my KMs are great I think my Syrians are better still.
Thanks a lot!

Very helpful! Here is a link to pictures of a Syrian I am looking at:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0

It is quite pricey though. Its 39"

As for KM's I am looking at Khalil Mamoon Double Pear Yellow 41"
Old February 19th, 2010, 04:52 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishaaaaa View Post
Thanks a lot!

I am a huge fan of Syrian hookahs. One of my favorite pipes is my Nour. Beautiful construction and great function.

That hookah looks great. Some people have issues with modular stems that unscrew. With the addition of the little rubber o-rings there will not be any issues with seals. One of the nicer things about this is that it seems like you will be able to take sections out and make it shorter as is necessary. This is a fairly common feature with modular hookahs.

It's also designed to use female bowls, which will give you more options.

How much is it?
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Thanks a lot!

That Syrian looks great, 39" is a bit more then I would want but I know that vase and it's pretty nice. Yeah, i'd grab it if I was looking for a new rig right now.
Old February 19th, 2010, 07:20 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Not to throw you off entirely, but you will still find many traditional chambers on Syrian rigs these days, but because of many reasons I'd like to blame on embargos, it is very hard to get a variety of these hookahs stateside. You basically are looking at Alfakher, nour, the occasional nawras, and a lot of chinese knockoffs posing as syrians.

Hajo does have it right, the tighter draw is slightly better, and we're not talking 13" pumpkin tight, just slightly tighter than wide open. This way the smoke has the ability to fill the space it has been given. Also, because of this, I seem to notice the flavor more with the denser smoke. As for the downstem, I would like to argue that its really not an issue with less smoke in the base at one time, because its a dynamic system, the smoke removed is immediately replaced from incoming smoke from the downstem, so I feel that it is not a major issue.
Old February 19th, 2010, 08:01 PM
shishaaaaa
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
I am a huge fan of Syrian hookahs. One of my favorite pipes is my Nour. Beautiful construction and great function.

That hookah looks great. Some people have issues with modular stems that unscrew. With the addition of the little rubber o-rings there will not be any issues with seals. One of the nicer things about this is that it seems like you will be able to take sections out and make it shorter as is necessary. This is a fairly common feature with modular hookahs.

It's also designed to use female bowls, which will give you more options.

How much is it?
Its 90GBP. But then theres 15GBP shipping on top, making it pretty expensive from what I gather!

It is a nice one though. I'm tempted only because it seems very difficult to find good price hookahs here in the UK.

Quote:
That Syrian looks great, 39" is a bit more then I would want but I know that vase and it's pretty nice. Yeah, i'd grab it if I was looking for a new rig right now.
Any reason 39" is bigger than you would like? Do you feel there are disadvantages to such tall pipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
Not to throw you off entirely, but you will still find many traditional chambers on Syrian rigs these days, but because of many reasons I'd like to blame on embargos, it is very hard to get a variety of these hookahs stateside. You basically are looking at Alfakher, nour, the occasional nawras, and a lot of chinese knockoffs posing as syrians.

Hajo does have it right, the tighter draw is slightly better, and we're not talking 13" pumpkin tight, just slightly tighter than wide open. This way the smoke has the ability to fill the space it has been given. Also, because of this, I seem to notice the flavor more with the denser smoke. As for the downstem, I would like to argue that its really not an issue with less smoke in the base at one time, because its a dynamic system, the smoke removed is immediately replaced from incoming smoke from the downstem, so I feel that it is not a major issue.
So you feel Syrians produce greater smoke density? I prefer higher smoke volume and density. I enjoy and taste it more when there is a lot of smoke.

Any opinions on the KM Pear 38" or 41"?

And any good UK sites that sell hookahs?

Thanks for all the input so far.
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Any reason 39" is bigger than you would like? Do you feel there are disadvantages to such tall pipes?
So you feel Syrians produce greater smoke density? I prefer higher smoke volume and density. I enjoy and taste it more when there is a lot of smoke.
Only a few disadvantages to height. The most prevalent is cleaning. Need a long brush, and need to go in both sides (that's what she said). So kind of like washing 2 down stems. Another downer is they can be top heavy and therefore tipsy. Not an issue if you're careful and aware, as well as any smoking companions.
Density=Mass/Volume
Density, in this case, is the amount of smoke in one area. I'm sure you know what density is but seeing the equation can help. Assuming similar masses produced (the deciding factors of that being heat, and tobacco) the max volume is the space in your lungs. With a tighter draw you are just filling the space slower.
And that's where I stop. Always got poor grades in highschool when it came to the conclusion anyway.
M I X the flour into the bowl
Old February 20th, 2010, 11:48 AM
shishaaaaa
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarcity View Post
Only a few disadvantages to height. The most prevalent is cleaning. Need a long brush, and need to go in both sides (that's what she said). So kind of like washing 2 down stems. Another downer is they can be top heavy and therefore tipsy. Not an issue if you're careful and aware, as well as any smoking companions.
Density=Mass/Volume
Density, in this case, is the amount of smoke in one area. I'm sure you know what density is but seeing the equation can help. Assuming similar masses produced (the deciding factors of that being heat, and tobacco) the max volume is the space in your lungs. With a tighter draw you are just filling the space slower.
And that's where I stop. Always got poor grades in highschool when it came to the conclusion anyway.
M I X the flour into the bowl
So there are disadvantages to taller pipes, however in terms of smoke quality/quantity in general is taller better?

And also bump on UK retailers of KM's!
Old February 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
So there are disadvantages to taller pipes, however in terms of smoke quality/quantity in general is taller better?

And also bump on UK retailers of KM's!
i can tell you my 46" km is not as good of a smoke as my 36"km....

i dont like having to fill so much volume to get the smoke to me.
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

The downsides of large narghiles (over 36") is that they require a longer brush which isn't much of an issue and a a bit more work is needed for the draw. The later is not a problem per say but just not my preference and some people feel that the extra height makes for a slightly cooler smoke so it's just a personal thing.
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:12 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Vendors in Europe and UK

Germany:
www.blubberhaus.de
www.shisha-world.com
www.relaxshop-kk.de
www.shisha-laden.de
www.shisha-deluxe.de
www.world-of-shisha.com
www.shishanet.de
www.prime-shisha.de
(you can get noor in many of these shops)

United Kingdom:
www.yalgo.com
www.theshishashop.com
www.hookahshop.co.uk
www.hookahroyal.com
www.shishabuzz.com

Switzerland:
www.wasserpfeifen.ch
www.blubberhaus.ch

Poland:
www.fajka-wodna.pl

France:
www.head-shop.fr

Spain:
www.shishashop.es

http://www.supersmoke.dk

http://sklep.buszek.com

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12075

That is about what I could find by trolling the threads
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:56 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

add www.hookahroyal.com to the UK.
ignore. I didn't read it closely enough.

Last edited by uglybiker; February 21st, 2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:45 PM
shishaaaaa
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for all the help guys. I picked up this pipe. Got it fairly cheap. From what I see, this pipe is usually $135 posted to the UK, got it for $62 shipped (41).

Its 37" tall, hand made. Looks pretty nice to me, what do you guys think of it??

Old February 21st, 2010, 07:35 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I am amazed that you got such a beautiful narghile for so little. The vase alone is worth that. I used have that exact base and it was fantastic. So, where did you buy it?
Old February 21st, 2010, 08:21 PM
shishaaaaa
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
I am amazed that you got such a beautiful narghile for so little. The vase alone is worth that. I used have that exact base and it was fantastic. So, where did you buy it?
Thanks man. Glad to hear!

I got it on an auction of ebay. I actually got it for $27, but had to pay $35 shipping!! I'm surprised it went so cheap in the end! Hopefully it'll arrive by the end of this coming week. I'll give it a try, and let you know!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook