Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Another AF thread....

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:46 AM
HiToKiRi
Hookah Nut

Default Another AF thread....

So I picked up a few sample packs of AF this weekend (Jasmine, Golden Grape and Gum) and was really looking forward to trying some new flavours.

Unfortunately this excitement was short-lived. I loaded up a bowl of the Gum flavour and sat back to enjoy. It took a couple of hits for the smoke to get going (even though I always let the coals sit on the bowl for about 5 minutes before smoking) and the first couple of hits were okay but then after a few more I started getting that scratchy dry feeling in the back of my throat. I thought "okay, something's wrong here" and I did what any other educated hookah smoker would do i.e. purge the hookah of smoke, ash the coals and move them (while keeping them on the edge).

I start hitting my hookah again but the scratchy dryness continued up to a point where I lost my temper and just killed the session. I then cleaned my rig and packed a bowl of the golden grape hoping for a better experience. The grape was okay-ish but I was still getting that scratchyness, but it was more bearable.

The Jasmine I smoked yesterday was the worst out of the three and even with some serious heat management on my side this stuff was almost unsmokable until the coals burnt out to about half-size.

Now I cannot think that theres something wrong with my setup because I've been using Sambooka's exact setup method for 2 years now and I've had some awesome sessions with HF, Nakhla and especially Starbuzz but AF is disappointing me big time lately.

I could be wrong but to me it seem like some of these new batches of AF are just way to heat sensitive. I always use 2 1/4 pieces of exotica coals per session and tried removing one so that there's only one on the bowl, but when I do that there's so little heat that there's barely any smoke.

AF used to be my fav but I'm just about to give up on this brand because I cannot keep spending money on shisha that smokes like s**t.

Any ideas guys?

Last edited by HiToKiRi; February 22nd, 2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:02 AM
wildmancherry1
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to wildmancherry1
Default Re: Another AF thread....

2 of the first flavors i tried this month were AF, both burned easy and made me decide not to buy anymore.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:19 AM
rwdftw
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to rwdftw

i always had probs with af till recently. get a phunnel pack it destly and bam no more tingle or burn. only shisha i have to pack this way
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:26 AM
HiToKiRi
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdftw View Post
i always had probs with af till recently. get a phunnel pack it destly and bam no more tingle or burn. only shisha i have to pack this way
Interesting....by "destly" I assume you mean densly? Would this work with a vortex bowl as well? I don't own a Phunnel but I was thinking of getting a vortex with my next big order.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

Yes it will work with a vortex, as long as the the spire holes aren't covered you can get a decent dense pack with AF. Also as you said you were smoking samples, the 50g packs are not representative of the real deal, they are far to often very dry and older. Gl
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
HiToKiRi
Hookah Nut

Well the sample packs I bought were all produced fairly recently and are all very moist so I doubt that age or dryness is the issue.

Perhaps you're right BuzzHookah but I can't see how the sample packs aren't representative of the "real deal" because the whole idea of the 50g packs is for people to sample different flavours so that they can decide what they like so they can order more of the same flavours.

I don't think anyone would spend money on a 250g tub of shisha unless they know it's good.

Anyway, I think I'll invest in a Vortex or Phunnel and see how it goes.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
kurlz
Hookah Nut

AF batches have seemed to be a little odd the last few months. I use a phunnel as well and haven't had a problem since. I went to a lounge a couple nights ago and 2 bowls burnt very fast, the girl that worked there tried just moving the coal around, but it didn't help. She thought I didn't know what I was talking about, lol.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Eh never mind, I'll crap on AF some other time.

Last edited by BobMarley; February 22nd, 2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: cranky
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

THIS is how I pack AF in a vortex bowl. Never have a problem with it. I usually use Coconaras, CH Nats, or Shishaco, but when I use Exoticas I usually use three pieces and let that go for a little bit. Usually by the 15-20 minute mark I need to take 1 coal off and reposition the other 2. Always a good smoke and I get packs that were made 2 years ago.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:36 AM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

Am I the only one who thinks the 50g packs always seem somehow different then the full sized packages, especially the already drier shishas, NAk etc?

Last edited by BuzzHookah; February 22nd, 2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzHookah View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the 50g packs always seem somehow different then the full sized packages, especially the already drier shishas, NAk etc?
no but i can see where that is coming from. beer tastes different from the tap vs from a can or bottle. same idea right?
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuworldorder View Post
no but i can see where that is coming from. beer tastes different from the tap vs from a can or bottle. same idea right?
exactly, its just not the same thing i would rather go halvsies on a 250 i spend a little extra for 100g at least
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook