Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

The 17" Bracket Hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 8th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Default Re: The 17" Bracket Hookah

i don't think you would want to put ice in the base because of the chance of condensation dripping on your coal. I would never get one of these to use, i'm a traditionalist.
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM
anis14
Hookah Guru

I love the smell of burnt acrylic in the morning.
Old April 8th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

I really don't think melting/burning acrylic would be a problem. Heat from the coals dissipates quite quickly. Hold your hand about six inches above the bowl next time you smoke. It gets warm, but not plastic-meltingly hot.
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:13 PM
VShadowHeart
Hookah Nut

Everyone is missing a very good reason someone might consider this the hookah for them. For most people the number one factor in purchasing a hookah is asthetics, the look, NOT the functionality. Lol thats how I ended up stuck with a disfunctional POS, my wife thinks it looks pretty lol. I know most people think this looks like crap because it is radically different from the traditional design. But hey theres people who wear mohawks and have earrings in their *&^%, thats not where earrings were traditionally meant to be lol.

Some people might find this pleasing to the eye and if thats their opinion then more power to them.

P.S. I think it looks awesome, but I do prefer the traditional styling myself lol.

(Not being rude just stating a viewpoint that in 2 pages of postings has somehow been ignored lol)
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VShadowHeart View Post
Everyone is missing a very good reason someone might consider this the hookah for them. For most people the number one factor in purchasing a hookah is asthetics, the look, NOT the functionality. Lol thats how I ended up stuck with a disfunctional POS, my wife thinks it looks pretty lol. I know most people think this looks like crap because it is radically different from the traditional design. But hey theres people who wear mohawks and have earrings in their *&^%, thats not where earrings were traditionally meant to be lol.

Some people might find this pleasing to the eye and if thats their opinion then more power to them.

P.S. I think it looks awesome, but I do prefer the traditional styling myself lol.

(Not being rude just stating a viewpoint that in 2 pages of postings has somehow been ignored lol)
Whether it is aesthetically pleasing or not, there are some obvious major design flaws.
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM
VShadowHeart
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewzi View Post
Whether it is aesthetically pleasing or not, there are some obvious major design flaws.
I disagree, the dripping juices could clog the downstem but you could easily remedy that with a vortex or funnel bowl. There is no major design flaws that I can see, although I am new to hookah so I could be missing something. The acrylic vase wouldn't melt because as someone said earlier it isn't nearly hot enough that far above the coal. And as far as the high center of gravity, most hookahs that I have seen have that problem.
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Quote:
I disagree, the dripping juices could clog the downstem but you could easily remedy that with a vortex or funnel bowl. There is no major design flaws that I can see, although I am new to hookah so I could be missing something. The acrylic vase wouldn't melt because as someone said earlier it isn't nearly hot enough that far above the coal. And as far as the high center of gravity, most hookahs that I have seen have that problem.
One obvious design flaw is that neither of those hoses are washable.While you could replace the hose you smoke out of with a washable hose, it does not appear that the hose that connects your bowl to your base is interchangeable with other hoses (specifically washable ones). This will lead to a ghosted hose and the ruin of your sessions rather quickly. I would be surprised if the hose between the bowl and the base lasted 10 sessions before some type of ghosting was present. Especially if you burn a bowl and harsh burnt smoke is passed through it.
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:37 PM
corey150
Hookah Nut

take a water bottle filled with water and set a lighter underneath it and try to melt the plastic, you cant, the water prevents it from burning through

so im guessing the same physics would apply to this hookah, maybe get some black marks on the bottom but it wouldnt melt it, neat idea if you ask me
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:53 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

Quote:
... But hey theres people who wear mohawks and have earrings in their *&^%, thats not where earrings were traditionally meant to be lol.
how'd we get to lumping people with mohawks and piercings in with this POS thing? i may have a mohawk and a handful piercings, (though none in my "*&^%" unless by that you mean nose or lip) but at least i work. while we're at it, by 'earrings,' i'll assume you mean all piercings and that your definition of traditional is 1-2 tiny holes per lobe, symmetrically aligned about a woman's head. many cultures have been piercing other body parts for centuries.

if you want to change a well-established design away from the norm, you do it for one of two reasons: fashion or function. in design of things that perform tasks, function should almost always come before fashion. if fashion comes first to the point of diminishing function, what you now have is a piece of art that barely functions as the original tool. that is what it is, art. and it has it's place. if it's art you're looking for, go for something like this beauty:

it might be like 7X as expensive, but it's something you could actually be proud to own. and even though i'd be terrified to smoke out of it for fear of breaking it, it's actually believably functional.
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:38 PM
EvanW
Hookah Nut

I think that these hookahs are as much art as the traditional narghiles we're used to. The only difference is, one is classical and the other is a more modern take on a classical tradition.

Aside from the art, it wouldn't work well in my eyes, but it's still very nice to look at.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:35 AM
alanpeterson68
Hookah Aficionado

I laugh every time I see this....
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:47 AM
Elco
Hookah Nut

It's unusual looking for sure but I dont think its for me
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:04 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanW View Post
I think that these hookahs are as much art as the traditional narghiles we're used to.

It's not art, it's kitschy, mass-produced Chinese junk. It is the antithesis of art. It destroys art.

Quote:
The only difference is, one is classical and the other is a more modern take on a classical tradition.
The difference is one is hand made using time-honored methods by real artisans, the other is made as cheaply as possible by underpaid, overworked sweatshop laborers. A traditional pipe will give it's owner many years of service, this piece of crap probably would function only minimally out of the box.

The traditional pipes of the mideast follow a common design pattern because it's a functionally perfect design refined and perfected over centuries of dedicated artistry.

This thing looks like it was designed with absolutely no thought towards purpose. It's only purpose is to make a quick dollar of the ignorant, functionality does not enter into the equation.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:31 AM
Geolas
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassthrasher View Post
So i think you would run into some serious issues actually smoking this hookah, especially since the vase is acrylic. But it does look pretty cool.

http://www.smoking-hookah.com/product/79011001.asp
I don't understand what advantages it will have in stability. The reason why hookahs get knocked over is because they are top heavy. You solve that problem with a larger base.

Problems that will occur, probably.

a. Melted Acrylic. Definitely will melt if you
- chose to use a phunnel bowl
- choose to use a windcover
b. bitch of a cleaning with juices running down the tube.
c. it not very pretty to look at.

The condensation might not really effect it but put out the coals. But then again it might just keep it dry with all the heat.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:44 AM
Robbo873
Hookah Nut

Take the 62.$ and your about half way to a nice KM. ;@)
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
EvanW
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
It's not art, it's kitschy, mass-produced Chinese junk. It is the antithesis of art. It destroys art.

The difference is one is hand made using time-honored methods by real artisans, the other is made as cheaply as possible by underpaid, overworked sweatshop laborers. A traditional pipe will give it's owner many years of service, this piece of crap probably would function only minimally out of the box.

The traditional pipes of the mideast follow a common design pattern because it's a functionally perfect design refined and perfected over centuries of dedicated artistry.

This thing looks like it was designed with absolutely no thought towards purpose. It's only purpose is to make a quick dollar of the ignorant, functionality does not enter into the equation.
The design is functionally perfect? People thought think things are perfect all the time, until they get replaced by someones innovation. I'm not saying THIS is the innovation, but just because it's been around doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. At least these guys are trying something new, to make a buck or otherwise, it spurs innovation.

Mass produced or otherwise, it is still art. You may think it's Kitschy junk, but then again you aren't the definitive word on "what is art", are you? I'm not either by any means, but I think it looks neat and artsy, and obviously someone else did too or it wouldn't be on that site.

I understand the medium in which this narghile (which I hesitate to call it) was fashioned is subpar to an egyptian model, but that doesn't mean it's any less artistic. The function may not be there, but the form definitely is.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo873 View Post
Take the 62.$ and your about half way to a nice KM. ;@)
half way? you're basically there. i just spent a few dollars short of double that on a KM, 1kg of coals, and 1 kg of tobacco, shipping included.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
The design is functionally perfect? People thought think things are perfect all the time, until they get replaced by someones innovation. I'm not saying THIS is the innovation, but just because it's been around doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. At least these guys are trying something new, to make a buck or otherwise, it spurs innovation.
It's not innovation, it's a step backwards.

As to functional perfection with a traditional pipe, you have a vertical, wide-gauge stem that allows the vapors to adequately cool while also allowing easy cleanup and little to no wear with proper use. The traditional chamber is easy to clean while once again being resistant to wear and allowing proper purging ( Vs. the modern "innovations" of common and plated chambers, both of which fail in every respect listed here). You have a thick glass bottle which is heavy enough to provide ample stability with enough room to allow the water to smooth the vapors properly.

The design of the traditional pipe is, in a word, flawless. If you or anyone else can find a way to improve that, I'll be duly impressed. I am not saying it's impossible, but I will say it is highly unlikely. People have been innovating on this design for five centuries, and I think it's safe to say that it has likely reached it's apex.

Necessity is the mother of invention. New styles of tobacco have brought about change in some aspects (Such as the vortex/funnel bowl designs) but the function of the pipe itself remains unchanged.

Quote:
Mass produced or otherwise, it is still art. You may think it's Kitschy junk, but then again you aren't the definitive word on "what is art", are you? I'm not either by any means, but I think it looks neat and artsy, and obviously someone else did too or it wouldn't be on that site.

I understand the medium in which this narghile (which I hesitate to call it) was fashioned is subpar to an egyptian model, but that doesn't mean it's any less artistic. The function may not be there, but the form definitely is.
As far as art goes, I'd be willing to concede it's artistry were it constructed by hand or showed some other form of artistic merit. It doesn't even contain original parts, just random parts of other crap chinese hookahs stuck to a coal carrier. Welding some spare hookah parts to a coal carrier may count as art by your own definition but for my taste it doesn't pass muster.

Feel free to carry on with your own opinions, I am simply stating mine. And when someone comes up with a new and radical design for a pipe that changes the way we smoke, let me know, I'll get you a beer.

Old June 7th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Grrdante
Hookah Nut

Seems like the coals would heat up the water being under the base. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't heat rise? hahahaha
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:46 AM
rideordie81
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
It's not innovation, it's a step backwards.

As to functional perfection with a traditional pipe, you have a vertical, wide-gauge stem that allows the vapors to adequately cool while also allowing easy cleanup and little to no wear with proper use. The traditional chamber is easy to clean while once again being resistant to wear and allowing proper purging ( Vs. the modern "innovations" of common and plated chambers, both of which fail in every respect listed here). You have a thick glass bottle which is heavy enough to provide ample stability with enough room to allow the water to smooth the vapors properly.

The design of the traditional pipe is, in a word, flawless. If you or anyone else can find a way to improve that, I'll be duly impressed. I am not saying it's impossible, but I will say it is highly unlikely. People have been innovating on this design for five centuries, and I think it's safe to say that it has likely reached it's apex.

Necessity is the mother of invention. New styles of tobacco have brought about change in some aspects (Such as the vortex/funnel bowl designs) but the function of the pipe itself remains unchanged.

As far as art goes, I'd be willing to concede it's artistry were it constructed by hand or showed some other form of artistic merit. It doesn't even contain original parts, just random parts of other crap chinese hookahs stuck to a coal carrier. Welding some spare hookah parts to a coal carrier may count as art by your own definition but for my taste it doesn't pass muster.

Feel free to carry on with your own opinions, I am simply stating mine. And when someone comes up with a new and radical design for a pipe that changes the way we smoke, let me know, I'll get you a beer.
Coyotero, the way you say things are usually crude and even sometimes insulting to another person but they are right on the money. You always make very justified points and i like it. And im gonna find a way to innovate the way we smoke, i could use that beer
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideordie81 View Post
Coyotero, the way you say things are usually crude and even sometimes insulting to another person but they are right on the money. You always make very justified points and i like it. And im gonna find a way to innovate the way we smoke, i could use that beer

Not trying to insult anyone, I just call things as I see 'em.

If I think the thing's a piece of crap, I'll say it. I can see how that could come off insulting I guess, but it's not my intention. I just don't believe in sugar-coating my interpretation of things, that's just dishonesty.

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:17 AM
robertjrn
Hookah Nut

very ugly very impractical, why change a winning formula, i even thought the rotating hookahs are a gimmick but this takes the biscuit
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
AralVorkosigan
Hookah Nut

looks cool, but for a functioning hookah, anything thats stand up right with the standard stup will be better. I have seen home made hookahs using those unbreakable water bottles that would work better than this.
Old June 7th, 2010, 01:42 PM
sharpy_77
Hookah Nut

This hookah does NOT look appealing to me.. The fact the bowl is under the base would heat up the base from the coals.. it would also be harder to play around with the coals when they are burning because the lack of room..

In my opinion, this type of hookah will be a flop.

I would NOT buy one!!

sm0ke Ez.
Old June 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Party_Clown
Hookah Nut

I guess it's something....
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook