Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Egyptian hookahs

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:33 AM
himenow
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to himenow Send a message via AIM to himenow Send a message via MSN to himenow Send a message via Skype™ to himenow
Default Egyptian hookahs

So I was wondering if I should get a non-brand Egyptian hookah as we have no KMs here in Israel (None that I've seen anyway).
I was in the Yafo market yesterday and saw some nice hand-made Egyptian hookahs, although they're a bit more expensive than some of the other ones that they had.

I was wondering if I should risk it and buy one on the market or just get a KM online (shipping is really expensive, about the same amount as the KM itself )

How would I go about recognizing a quality hookah without smoking it?
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Dreamer1917
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Egyptian hookahs

sir, I ...bbelieve I saw your hookahs in the stash pictures thread.
You don't need one!
I would get one on the market though.
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:43 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Find out what the hookah is made of, most are commonly made of Stainless Steel or Brass.

Are the welds clean ? You might notice some welding spots, but do you notice any bubbling, holes, or extremely unclean welding ?

How large is the diameter of the downstem ? (3/8 - 7/8 of an inch)

Does the stem sit well and seal with the base ? Make sure the grommet is snug and the stem doesnt flop around.

Is the glass a decent size ? Will the hookah stand up comfortably without wobbling.

Can the vase hold a sizeable amount of water ?

Does the vase have a large number of Bubbling or one or two LARGE bubbles? Hand blown glass frequently has imperfections, make sure they arn't at critical spots that bear the weight of the hookah, such as the bottom rim or close to the top opening. Those are the major pressure points on the vase.

How far down the vase does the stem sit ? You want about an inch of space between the bottom of the stem and the bottom of the vase.

Traditional Chamber or Common Chamber ? (Traditional is better, one port for purge, one port per hose)

Those should help you find something that's decent without having to smoke it.

Last edited by HookahWaffle; February 25th, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:14 AM
himenow
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to himenow Send a message via AIM to himenow Send a message via MSN to himenow Send a message via Skype™ to himenow

@HookahWaffle, thanks for the tips. I'll keep them in mind next time I'm in the market
Maybe I'll ask the salesdude to try one.

@Dreamer1917, I know I have enough hookahs, but only one is "decent" more or less. They all smoke well, but I want something exceptional, if you know what I mean. I really want to enjoy it.
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Dreamer1917
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by himenow View Post
I know I have enough hookahs, but only one is "decent" more or less. They all smoke well, but I want something exceptional, if you know what I mean. I really want to enjoy it.
In that case go for the KM.
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:19 AM
himenow
Hookah Nut

I'll get a KM if nothing else comes along. I really don't want to spend 200 USD including shipping >.<
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:01 AM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Hookahwaffle pretty much summed it up. My main concern would be the stem and if it could easily rust or not.
I would ask the guy is he's ever smoked one of them or ask him if he thinks they're good hookahs and if he's gotten any feedback of it.

I'm surprised you can get Egyptian made products in Israel....
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM
himenow
Hookah Nut

Lots of Egyptian stuff here, except no KMs :P
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:34 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Seek and ye shall find Grasshopper
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:41 AM
kurlz
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by himenow View Post
I know I have enough hookahs, but only one is "decent" more or less. They all smoke well, but I want something exceptional, if you know what I mean. I really want to enjoy it.
I would save up for the KM then, wouldn't risk it if you want something exceptional. How much are the Egyptian rigs?
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:46 AM
himenow
Hookah Nut

They're around 200 - 300 NIS which is about 50 - 80 USD. No tax or shipping costs though :P
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Guido
Hookah Nut

I'm going to say go with a KM. Though the egytian could smoke very well there is a risk. Really no risk with the KM. My suggestion to you would be look in the Buy/Sell section I think there is a few guys selling some KM's in the UK area. I'm not sure if that will save you and just something to maybe look into. Good luck with the hunt.
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:04 PM
himenow
Hookah Nut

I've talked to some guys in the UK selling KMs. Again, same story with the shipping. The KM itself costs 40 - 50 pounds and shipping isn't far off from that either >.<

Maybe anyone knows of any Israeli vendors (located here in Israel of course) that carry KMs?
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Guido
Hookah Nut

Sorry to hear that man. Hope something comes through.
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:10 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

The advantage of shopping in person is that you have the ability to do "quality control" based on your standards. HookahWaffle's post is a very good and thorough run down on the different things to keep in mind. Do some walking and research of the different vendors in the market and try not to buy something on your first lap. Just look and inspect the different pipes and keep mental tabs on who offers what so when you are ready to buy you can go straight to the vendor that looked most promising and do some haggling(if thats your thing). "Caveat Emptor" is the motto to keep in mind, just be aware that for the most part that you get what you paid for.
If you exhaust all the choices in the market and are not satisfied, I would order overseas but only after exhausting all your local possibilities.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:45 PM
himenow
Hookah Nut

@CypherEnigma, that's my plan. I've been to the market a couple of times already. Got a basic idea of the stuff they carry. Gonna go down there soon and spend some time there examining the hookahs they have.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook