Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Coals going out?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:33 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo
Default Coals going out?

I've been having a problem over the last several bowls I've smoked where the coals burn down about half way. Right about when it's time to add the wind cover to trap heat, the smoke gets very, very thin. An hour later when I come back to the hookah, I find that one or more of the coals simply went out and remain intact.

This has never happened before and I'm a little puzzled. Does anyone know why this would happen?
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:35 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: Coals going out?

First question : What kind of Coals ?

If Quicklights : lolwut? I've never seen a QL go out, try a new brand that isn't made of failure.

If Naturals :

Both Wood and Coconut natural coals will turn black on the side facing down, since that side has no oxygen coming over top of it as you're inhaling, just simply take the coals off and turn them over a few times during the session. Should solve your problem.

Also, with any kind of natural coal, if you leave it sit for too long without smoking off it, it wont completely "go out" but it may reach a point where its burning so slowly that you dont get anywhere near the required amount of heat from it, just dont leave the hookah sit that long.
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:04 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahWaffle View Post
First question : What kind of Coals ?

If Quicklights : lolwut? I've never seen a QL go out, try a new brand that isn't made of failure.

If Naturals :

Both Wood and Coconut natural coals will turn black on the side facing down, since that side has no oxygen coming over top of it as you're inhaling, just simply take the coals off and turn them over a few times during the session. Should solve your problem.

Also, with any kind of natural coal, if you leave it sit for too long without smoking off it, it wont completely "go out" but it may reach a point where its burning so slowly that you dont get anywhere near the required amount of heat from it, just dont leave the hookah sit that long.
Thanks for the tips.

They're Coconara coals. I definitely flip them a couple of times as I'm smoking. But that's really what's so perplexing. I don't leave them unsmoked for more than 1 - 2 minutes at a time, and that's on the long end of things. In fact, last night when they went out, there were two of us smoking. Two of the coals went out while we were smoking, the other one went ahead and burned all the way down even though we stopped smoking after the other two went out.
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I usually leave mine on the stove for 5 minutes while I prepare my hookah. I flip them after about 3 minutes and heat up the other side for 2 .. 5 minutes total.

It is perplexing to me that they would go out? Unless you are only heating up for a minute? Be patient and give them 5 minutes to light all the way through. They will last you close to an hour.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:19 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

If you're using coco coals,

as sambooka said, make sure they're fully lit, other than that, where do you store them ? I had a bad box of CH Naturals from john once, they sat in the basement too long and absorbed a shitton of moisture. If the coals have a high moisture content, no amount of letting them sit on the stove will keep them lit, they will go out as they near the center of the coal (since it hasnt started burning yet and is still filled with water).

Try a different box or keep your coals in a better place, such as a kitchen cabinet above the stove or an area that gets a decent amount of heat to reduce moisture buildup.

If the second scenario is the case, and the coals are moisture soaked, forget it, the entire box is going to be crappy.
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:31 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahWaffle View Post
If you're using coco coals,

as sambooka said, make sure they're fully lit, other than that, where do you store them ? I had a bad box of CH Naturals from john once, they sat in the basement too long and absorbed a shitton of moisture. If the coals have a high moisture content, no amount of letting them sit on the stove will keep them lit, they will go out as they near the center of the coal (since it hasnt started burning yet and is still filled with water).

Try a different box or keep your coals in a better place, such as a kitchen cabinet above the stove or an area that gets a decent amount of heat to reduce moisture buildup.

If the second scenario is the case, and the coals are moisture soaked, forget it, the entire box is going to be crappy.
I definitely leave them on the stove for a while. Usually about 11-12 minutes. I don't always flip them half way through, so sometimes there's a spot of black on the top which goes away within a few minutes of smoking.

I was thinking it might be a bad box. I got about 5 boxes from John which are now stored in a cedar chest in my bedroom before they're ready to be used. The box currently in use is kept in a jar with a clamp sealed lid. So I think if they have moisture issues they must've come that way. But now that I think about it, I think it's just since I opened a new box a few nights ago that I noticed the problem.

Is it possible that some of the box is damaged, while the rest of the box is fine? Cause not all the coals have the problem.
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

That is super weird! Not doubting you at all .. just saying it is weird! I've had great success with mine. I just cook them for 5 minutes 3/2 on each side. let us know how the other boxes go?

I will be happy to send you some coals if you want? You can try those and see if they are any better??

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:36 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

My thought was a bad box. Happens from time to time and this isn't your first try with nats. I would try another box and see. If they do the same thing then I don't know what to tell you.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:40 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Dont be surprised if its a bad box. John replaced a box and a half for me that had the same issue.

Also, dont keep them in a wood chest, wood absorbs moisture and traps it on the inside, hence why most small cigar humidors are made of wood. Keep them in an area that still has decent airflow. Kitchen cabinets arnt bad, usually because the heat from the kitchen keeps the wood fairly dried out.

I never keep my coals in a tightly enclosed space, its bad news bears.

In the aforementioned box, probably 1 out of every 4 coals worked fine, it was so bad I put 7-8 coals on the stove at a time just to see which ones started normal and which ones took forever to light, I used almost an entire box for maybe 30 good coals.
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:17 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Just had one of the three I used go out. The one on the left is out. It went out all of a sudden. The one of the right fell apart when I tried to pick it up, at the one on the top is still going fine. I think it must be a bad box. It's just frustrating cause they light normally. And I can never tell if they're going to have problems till the lest 20 minutes of smoking.

I've always stored the coals in the wood box, so I don't think that's the problem. But I guess it could be. Unfortunately, there's isn't really another place to keep them. Perhaps I could seal the boxes in ziploc bags first?
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Can I offer up a little advise?

Try poking some tini tiny holes in between your pattern. Let the coals get a little more air instead of sitting on just aluminum with no holes. Just a suggestion. Try it and let me know?

Old February 25th, 2010, 11:24 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post

Just had one of the three I used go out. The one on the left is out. It went out all of a sudden. The one of the right fell apart when I tried to pick it up, at the one on the top is still going fine. I think it must be a bad box. It's just frustrating cause they light normally. And I can never tell if they're going to have problems till the lest 20 minutes of smoking.

I've always stored the coals in the wood box, so I don't think that's the problem. But I guess it could be. Unfortunately, there's isn't really another place to keep them. Perhaps I could seal the boxes in ziploc bags first?

This is exactly what mine did. No amount of tweaking / hole poking / extra heating / ect. can fix it. You've got bad coals my friend. Ditch em.
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:37 AM
kurlz
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
Can I offer up a little advise?

Try poking some tini tiny holes in between your pattern. Let the coals get a little more air instead of sitting on just aluminum with no holes. Just a suggestion. Try it and let me know?
+1 on this. I usually make my holes no more then 1/4" apart with a safety pin. More air flow = more smoke, but a tad less flavor.
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:13 PM
SynysterBuzz
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to SynysterBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
I usually leave mine on the stove for 5 minutes while I prepare my hookah. I flip them after about 3 minutes and heat up the other side for 2 .. 5 minutes total.

It is perplexing to me that they would go out? Unless you are only heating up for a minute? Be patient and give them 5 minutes to light all the way through. They will last you close to an hour.
i have found that when i use cocos that they last longer than an hour they take forever to burn haha. i thought it was a problem that the bottom was turning black but continued smoking with them cause they're amazing now my fears have been abolished. god i love the information coming from this site. even when im not looking for it.
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynysterBuzz View Post
i love the information coming from this site. even when im not looking for it.
It's how we roll

yeah when I said close to an hour I mean +/- hour. Mine lasts very close to 60 minutes sometimes more sometimes less. Depends how much it is being smoked. Coconaras last a long time.

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook