Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

is there any websites....

Hookah Discussion

Closed Thread Share

Old February 26th, 2010, 02:13 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: is there any websites....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSebsch View Post
Who said anything about expecting something for free? I just got my free sample of Jewels tobacco that I requested a couple of months ago and they sent it out because they're trying to get the word out about their new tobacco.

You said that there are samples available all the time so I was wondering if maybe I was missing something.

Not always do contests include free samples man. This contest, yes, other contests, not always.

If it's not so hard to get samples, why not explain the thread starter how to get them instead of insulting him?
Last post before I remove myself from this thread :

Theres no reason for the established brands to give out free samples, companies like Jewel do it because they're extremely unheard of, or dont have a product that the community feels are worth repping to other members.

I've yet to see a contest that didnt include either free hookahs / free tobacco / free something as either a prize, or as part of the entrance. Sambooka sets up contests that allow people to get product into their hand for free on a regular basis.

Theres no reason to point out where to get free shisha, as theres a giant thread proclaiming "CONTEST - FREE SHISHA" in the top 25 threads as this very moment Im posting. It took me a whole 30 seconds of using my eyes to figure out how to get free samples should I desire to gather them.

He, very clearly in fact, asked flat out if any websites give away free tobacco, which defeats the entire point of these companies being in business.

There are hundreds of reviews on this site for almost every available Brand / Flavor / Make your own Mix. It takes less than a minute to use the search feature if you have something specific you're looking for, maybe an hour or two to browse through reviews if you're unsure of what you exactly want. Im not insulting him for asking a question, Im insulting him for being a total dick to SamB for no good reason.

Looking at his post history, he has yet to contribute anything of substantial value to the HP Community, posted an offensive thread that was deleted, has now made NHT references, and responds with hostility to people trying to give him legitimate advice.

Im extremely newbie friendly around HP however I would hope people are capable of doing some research on their own before expecting us to start spewing out answers to questions that get asked 10x a week around here.

Being tight on cash is also understandable, but I dont ask for free things just because I cant afford them. If I really dont want to waste my money, I go see what everyone else raves about, and what they tell me to avoid, then ask questions from that perspective, or make my decision based on what I've read.

Last edited by HookahWaffle; February 26th, 2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:21 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

The fact is that there are indeed websites out there who give out free samples. If you want to take advantage of it, that's fine, if you don't, then that's fine too. But that doesn't defeat the purpose of the company being in business.

Another member out here also pointed out that manufacturers do indeed give away free samples sometimes.

You can't get those free samples of the contest unless you have 10 vids and a video camera.

All I'm saying is that if AF, Nakhla or SB gave out some samples, it could potentially win them a lot of business. That's why you see people passing out samples at the supermarket, that's why those TV shopping commercials always throw in something for free and that's why companies give you deals in general. It boosts popularity and gets the word out.
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
But see, you don't buy such brands because they're too expensive. If they'd give you some samples, there's a chance that you might find a flavor you like and maybe you'll pick that flavor up one day when it's on sale or something. You never know, is all I'm saying.
Not necessarily. I buy Fumari, which is at a similar price point to starbuzz, if not slightly higher. But I buy it because of the consistant quality, I know my money is going to be well spent.

If had the opportunity to try every flavor starbuzz had to offer, I imagine I would find at least one, possibly several, that are to my liking. The thing is I already know what's available to my liking at a lower price point, and my interests don't generally overlap with what Starbuzz makes available.

Anyhow, this is all irrelevant to my point. I was simply informing the opie that there are sample size portions available from quality brands (Nakhla, AF, Layalina, Havana) for prices that he should be able to afford. If you can't find any flavors that you like at that price point, then you probably shouldn't be smoking.
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:25 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

I believe it is up to the Company selling the tobacco if they want to give out free samples. I doubt you would ever see the tobacco company give out free samples. In order to get free samples from a company you have to be a good customer. When I go into Texas Hookah I always walk away with $50 in tobacco. They throw in a free 50g of whatever I want. Have done it for me 3 times already. Sure if I went in tomorrow they would do the same.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

+1 thxs for having my back and explaining what I couldn't at the present time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahWaffle View Post
Last post before I remove myself from this thread :

Theres no reason for the established brands to give out free samples, companies like Jewel do it because they're extremely unheard of, or dont have a product that the community feels are worth repping to other members.

I've yet to see a contest that didnt include either free hookahs / free tobacco / free something as either a prize, or as part of the entrance. Sambooka sets up contests that allow people to get product into their hand for free on a regular basis.

Theres no reason to point out where to get free shisha, as theres a giant thread proclaiming "CONTEST - FREE SHISHA" in the top 25 threads as this very moment Im posting. It took me a whole 30 seconds of using my eyes to figure out how to get free samples should I desire to gather them.

He, very clearly in fact, asked flat out if any websites give away free tobacco, which defeats the entire point of these companies being in business.

There are hundreds of reviews on this site for almost every available Brand / Flavor / Make your own Mix. It takes less than a minute to use the search feature if you have something specific you're looking for, maybe an hour or two to browse through reviews if you're unsure of what you exactly want. Im not insulting him for asking a question, Im insulting him for being a total dick to SamB for no good reason.

Looking at his post history, he has yet to contribute anything of substantial value to the HP Community, posted an offensive thread that was deleted, has now made NHT references, and responds with hostility to people trying to give him legitimate advice.

Im extremely newbie friendly around HP however I would hope people are capable of doing some research on their own before expecting us to start spewing out answers to questions that get asked 10x a week around here.

Being tight on cash is also understandable, but I dont ask for free things just because I cant afford them. If I really dont want to waste my money, I go see what everyone else raves about, and what they tell me to avoid, then ask questions from that perspective, or make my decision based on what I've read.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:58 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
At the airport on the iPhone so I'll make this quick! This guy ended up getting banned for breaking another rule. Sometimes you can just spot the crazyness! This thread asking for free samples was one of them. Howoften am I a dick?? Not often if ever. All I said was to get a job instead of coming on here, posting for a few days and asking for handouts!

Sambooka
*sigh* I hate to see people get banned. I guess I'm just too forgiving, I think. But, that's why people like me don't run the board. No one would ever get banned and everything would go down the drain.
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:00 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

All I am saying is that the guy just asked a question and he even got some answers because there are indeed websites out there that offer free samples.
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:03 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
All I am saying is that the guy just asked a question and he even got some answers because there are indeed websites out there that offer free samples.
I agree. I don't think the question was stupid. But his attitude was really bad, and whether we consciously know it or not, that's probably what people were really responding to.
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:09 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

No doubt. You shouldn't call people names and make such extremely offensive remarks no matter the circumstances, but the question, I believe, was valid.
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
I agree. I don't think the question was stupid. But his attitude was really bad, and whether we consciously know it or not, that's probably what people were really responding to.
+1 QFT.

Free samples are great. Everybody loves free samples.

Demanding free samples because your afraid of wasting $3 is, in my opinion, BS. Acting like your entitled to those samples is BS as well. And mouthing off to the site admin is... Well, really stupid and rude, among other things.
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:15 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

But he never actually requested free samples from members or vendors here, he simply asked if there was possibly a site out there who gives away free samples.

When I first started smoking, I would have loved to receive some free samples even if they were from companies like Jewels.
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Kelsey
Hookah Nut

If there's one thing I've learned from HP you can't rely on member reviews.
Most people just give something a good review if they like it and a bad one if they don't. You should be reviewing the quality, thickness, smoothness of the smoke etc and also how consistent the flavour is with what is should be.

I see members taking off points for stems (I don't like stems either but if they're the small ones it's actually fine to smoke them. I pick them out just because but they're totally smokable).
I see members giving flavours very good ratings that don't even taste like what they're supposed to (obviously I'm talking about Double Apple here, I feel sorry for anyone who's ever tasted an apple like that).
I see members taking off points for the shisha being too wet or dyed, not really sure what that has to do with anything.

And the only way to do consistent unbiased reviews is to use the same coals, same hose etc.
Some people do reviews on a flavour and give it 7/10 then do a review on a coal and give it 5/10 then use that 5/10 coal to do another shisha review and complain that the shisha didn't smoke as thick or some other problems.
I think members should stick to a hookah, hose and coal for the purpose of reviews.
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:07 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
even if they were from companies like Jewels.

Ugh. Why? That kind of thing could put a person off the hobby right quick.
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:28 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

True, Kalutika, but it's still a free sample.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
Most people just give something a good review if they like it and a bad one if they don't. You should be reviewing the quality, thickness, smoothness of the smoke etc and also how consistent the flavour is with what is should be.

I see members taking off points for stems (I don't like stems either but if they're the small ones it's actually fine to smoke them. I pick them out just because but they're totally smokable).
I see members giving flavours very good ratings that don't even taste like what they're supposed to (obviously I'm talking about Double Apple here, I feel sorry for anyone who's ever tasted an apple like that).
I see members taking off points for the shisha being too wet or dyed, not really sure what that has to do with anything.

And the only way to do consistent unbiased reviews is to use the same coals, same hose etc.
Some people do reviews on a flavour and give it 7/10 then do a review on a coal and give it 5/10 then use that 5/10 coal to do another shisha review and complain that the shisha didn't smoke as thick or some other problems.
I think members should stick to a hookah, hose and coal for the purpose of reviews.
Exactly what I'm saying!
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
True, Kalutika, but it's still a free sample.
I know a guy at the local dive that will kick you in the shin for free. It hurts... but it's a free.
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:23 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

^ LMAO
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:43 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Ugh. Why? That kind of thing could put a person off the hobby right quick.
Mmm, I don't think so. The tobacco I started smoking was Lyalina. It's not great, but there were some decent flavors. I've smoked a few from Jewels and they're not great, but I would've liked it well enough when I was brand new.

Quote:

I would say that's true for pretty much all reviewers who aren't professionals. Just look through reviews on Amazon or Newegg. The bad reviews are often based on an item being defective on arrival. When a company makes millions of one product there are bound to be some defective units. But people still deliver negative reviews on these basis rather than on the total experience (i.e., did customer service take care of things, how was the unit once it was replaced, etc).

Reviews, from non-professional sources, I think, are better taken as an average. What does the majority think of this flavor. When you assess that, you can peer into a handful of specific reviews to see exactly what people think.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:59 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:

I think its best to listen to the descriptions of tobaccos rather than going on the numbers that members give them. Its exactly as you said, reviews are subjective and giving a tobacco a number may work fine for the simplicity. The empirical descriptions and observations of the tobacco can give you a good idea of whether of not the tobacco is a good fit for you. Lets face it, if I bought any flavor that people have given a 8-10 I'd be out a lot of money and have a whole walk in closet added to my room to hold all the tobacco. The reviews have a valuable purpose but by no means are the be all end all when it comes to buying tobacco, unfortunately experience is just as valuable. 50g-100g tubs are a good way to try out many flavors and not break bank.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:19 AM
iMaD
Hookah Pro

I know of one online store that claim to give you free samples, maharajahookah.com. They gave samples of Cleaopetra. I never asked for it myself but you can try. Also, if you live in an area where there are Arabic stores they usually carry all kinds of shisah at low prices including 50g as low as 1.50 or less but liske others mentioned it good idea to read some of the reviews and eventhough they are personal opinions they can at least eliminate the crappy stuff. Good luck
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

This thread is pointless, the OP's attitude is rude and uncalled for and people arguing about whether it's OK to be a mooch is just plain dumb. Move along, nothing to see here.
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
*sigh* I hate to see people get banned. I guess I'm just too forgiving, I think. But, that's why people like me don't run the board. No one would ever get banned and everything would go down the drain.
In my book you dont tell the Admin to fuck off for any reason, its his house and you dont go into someones house and tell them to fuck off.
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Quote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion in regards to flavors etc That is why this site is so good for reviews. You can get 4 or 5 reviews from different people and judge for yourself wether you would like to try it. You would take off points for DA and I would score it much differently I am sure. Different strokes for different folks.