Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Another Vortex thread

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 26th, 2010, 02:53 PM
RedbullZ
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RedbullZ
Default Another Vortex thread

Ok I have searched here and on the web but I want my own thread

I use a Vortex and a standard egyptian bowl. I really love the flavor increase and over all smoking improvement with using my Vortex bowl, but I only have one problem........

This thing has horrible pull. I know its not my foil method cause I give plenty of air holes but man it feels so restricted. Anyone got tips on maybe what I could do to fix this? Im really tempted to open up the holes on the bowl a little.

I use a KM single pear also.
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:54 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: Another Vortex thread

Check to make sure the holes are actually open, sometimes the clay doesnt get knocked out before its fired, or the glaze drips and seals them up.

Past that, you might be overpacking, restricting the airflow through the shisha will only compound the problem if you've got a tight draw.

Third option would be to wet sand the holes by hand using 2000 or 4000 grit sandpaper. Careful doing this, you could crack the spire.
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:33 PM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

1. no matter how you pack your shisha make sure its doesnt go above he spire holes
2. If it is the airholes being blocked but unremoved clay get a small pin pile and file it out
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:21 PM
RedbullZ
Hookah Newbie

I make sure to push it down to not block the holes with shisha. Looks like one of the holes is slightly smaller do too much glaze but other wise they 3/4 are the same size. Ill look into cleaning this one up and see what happens.
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:33 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

When I am finished packing the bowl, I use a pair of toothless needle nose pliers and push the shisha back from the spire. I slide the plier tip down along the spire stem and then open the pliers gently compressing the shisha up agaisnt the outter bowl wall. I tend to find that as the bowl warms, is too loosely packed, the shisha will slide toward the spire and with a very full packed bowl tends to block the holes.

Also if your bowl is older and used frequently you tend to get a lot of build up of residue. Simply soak the bowl over night in water and then use a plastic fork tip and dig the hole out.
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hookah Lungs
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzHookah View Post
1. no matter how you pack your shisha make sure its doesnt go above he spire holes
I hear this too much so I'm gonna give my input.. there isn't one single way to pack a vortex bowl, so keep in mind that this is only 1 of many. You can pack the bowl above the holes all you want as long as it's packed loose enough to allow good airflow. I pack my vortex all the way to the rim every single time and it never fails.

Other than that.. I agree that you're either packing it too tight or the holes in the spire need some opening up.
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:38 PM
RedbullZ
Hookah Newbie

Im thinking it comes down to the holes need to be opened up. I packed a bowl earlier today and I made sure to not cover the holes at all and it was ok pull wise but still seems to be lacking.
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:44 PM
RedbullZ
Hookah Newbie

Yep I pulled my bowl out and this thing is made like crap. Its a replacement since my first one got broken in shipment from hookahhookah.com The holes are open to about the size of a tooth pick because they are filled with glaze..........Im really disappointed.
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:13 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Contact hh or ssc, they'll replace it for you.
Old February 27th, 2010, 01:41 AM
RedbullZ
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGram View Post
Contact hh or ssc, they'll replace it for you.
This would make a 3rd replacement since the 1st broke in shipping and the this second one has bad ports. I dont like their order processing either. I called them on like a monday or teusday to get a replacement and it didnt ship out until Friday. I mean WTF come on....

I think ill just try to fix this one and if that dont work, im just gonna contact ********** about a new bowl since I need to order a windcover anyway.
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Danman116
Hookah Newbie

You like the vortex bowl but hate the poor pull? Go to Ebay there is a seller there selling "Cobra" hookah bowls. Just check it out for yourself. do a search for cobra hookah bowl. The holes are drilled around the upper edge of the bowl instead of the bottom. Smokes like a champ.. pulls as good as an egyptian bowl and no burn.
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:15 AM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

I get great pull off my two vortex bowls, one with top spire and mid spire holes. They pull so much better and provide lushes clouds of smoke. Great invention.
Old February 27th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzHookah View Post
I always pack mine above the spire holes. You just have to make sure its loosely packed. Ive never had any problems whatsoever with this bowl.
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:29 AM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

Im not saying you cant, but you cant argue that more air will come thru if the air holes are fully exposed
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedbullZ View Post
This would make a 3rd replacement since the 1st broke in shipping and the this second one has bad ports. I dont like their order processing either. I called them on like a monday or teusday to get a replacement and it didnt ship out until Friday. I mean WTF come on....

I think ill just try to fix this one and if that dont work, im just gonna contact ********** about a new bowl since I need to order a windcover anyway.
Same thing happened to me. I made and order and the vortex had 1 clogged hole and a "previously clogged but still a thumbtack sized hole so its GOOD TO GO LOL". I raged pretty hard. After the replacement (10 days later) arrived all the holes had the clogged but thumbtack sized hole gtg lol holes in it. I gave this to my broseph and he 'fixed it' and in the process removed most of the glaze. After a few failed contacts with SaharaSmoke I gave up. I made a tobacco order from John along with a vortex and put in the special instructs "Please check to make sure all the holes are open" after I emailed him and he told me to. I wouldn't be that direct on my own yaknow :3
Johns came and it was perfect, because he is not a robot that doesn't care.

That's my story.
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:15 AM
RedbullZ
Hookah Newbie

Yeah. I even emailed them about it being broken and they never emailed me back. I had to call them to get something done. They carry hookah freak but I really dont wanna order from them anymore after all of this stuff. Im pretty much just sticking with ********** from now on. Ill try to post up some pictures soon of this bowl.
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:41 AM
HiToKiRi
Hookah Nut

Redbullz it's really unfortunate to hear that your experience with Sahara Smoke hasn't been the most pleasant. Perhaps try ordering from HH as they also stock Hookah Freak. I ordered a Vortex from Nazarhookah last week and I'm waiting for it to arrive so I hope I don't have similar issue as you've been having. *holds thumbs*.

Last edited by HiToKiRi; March 1st, 2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:33 PM
RedbullZ
Hookah Newbie

I forgot to update. I pulled out the dremel and got out the bits. I opened the holes up to what they are supposed to be. I havent gotten to use it since I opened them, but just from pulling from the bottom of the bowl it pulls almost as easy as my egyptian bowl now. Ill use it tomorrow hopefully and let you all know more!
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:05 AM
thomas_j_smith
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thomas_j_smith Send a message via Yahoo to thomas_j_smith

Hey what kind of Dremel tip did you use. I have one hole full of glaze in my Vortex? I thought about a ceramic tile diamond studed bit, but don't think I have one of those since I have not done in tile work in some time. I'm thinking Lowes or Home Depot may have the bit I need. My only fear with drilling ceramic is the big chance of cracking the spire right off?
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:24 AM
blacklit
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danman116 View Post
You like the vortex bowl but hate the poor pull? Go to Ebay there is a seller there selling "Cobra" hookah bowls. Just check it out for yourself. do a search for cobra hookah bowl. The holes are drilled around the upper edge of the bowl instead of the bottom. Smokes like a champ.. pulls as good as an egyptian bowl and no burn.
crown knock-off, no? : ) i suppose it was only a matter of time.

best of luck w/ your sick vortex.
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:44 PM
andino
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to andino Send a message via Skype™ to andino

I feel like my Vortex bowl is the most restrictive part of the my hookah. Compared to my Egyptian anyway. I want to pick up a phunnel to see if that's better but at this point, its not too big a deal
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:01 AM
RedbullZ
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_j_smith View Post
Hey what kind of Dremel tip did you use. I have one hole full of glaze in my Vortex? I thought about a ceramic tile diamond studed bit, but don't think I have one of those since I have not done in tile work in some time. I'm thinking Lowes or Home Depot may have the bit I need. My only fear with drilling ceramic is the big chance of cracking the spire right off?
It was in my dremel kit. It isnt very big but I just slowly worked it around until the holes were open. Just take your time and you wont damage it. I didnt use much pressure when griding the top of the holes.
Old March 14th, 2010, 11:14 AM
RedbullZ
Hookah Newbie

It was a success. The bowl pulls just as good as my egyptian and works great.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook