Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Does size matter? (coal)

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 28th, 2010, 01:02 AM
DoubleAim 64
Hookah Newbie

Default Does size matter? (coal)

Does the coal matter more or less?
I've seen on different stores coals ranging from basically $3 to $15+. I was wondering does the price make difference in size, or shape, or what? I know I had seen one of the coal with like coconut flavor but does the coal really matter? Does a $3 pack matter so much more than a coconut flavored 12 pack with the same number of coals?
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:10 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Default Re: Does size matter? (coal)

Yes.

Oh... coals? Still yes. Each different kind of coal has it's own pros and cons.
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:16 AM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAim 64 View Post
Does the coal matter more or less?
I've seen on different stores coals ranging from basically $3 to $15+. I was wondering does the price make difference in size, or shape, or what? I know I had seen one of the coal with like coconut flavor but does the coal really matter? Does a $3 pack matter so much more than a coconut flavored 12 pack with the same number of coals?
I think the "coconut flavored" coals you're referring to are actually coconut coals which are called this because they are made of recycled coconut shells. The biggest differences to be aware of with coals are natural vs. quick light coals and cubed vs finger coals. Quick lights are coals that can be started with a lighter to start the ignition. Natural coals are coals that have no self lighting mechanism like coconut coals. Finger coals are long "fingers" of coal that have to be scored and cut into small pieces. Cubed coals come precut in their boxes. On the whole it is best to use Natural coals when you can do so, especially if you're sensitive to tastes.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:26 AM
DoubleAim 64
Hookah Newbie

Does it make a big difference in the smoke? and how long does the coals last? I mean the ones I have are probably quicklites, but I am willing to try the naturals. I just want the best vale for the best smoke for the longest-lasting coals
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

Pre-cut natural coals (cubes) are roughly the same size across the different brands. The characteristic that affects longevity the most is not the size of the coal itself but rather the density. A denser coal will take longer to light up fully but will generally last longer. You can expect between 40 minutes to one hour of useful life out of Hookah John, Coconaras, ShishaCo and the likes. In order to maximize the life of your coals, I recommend using a wind cover.

This applies to coconut coals, I can't speak for other types of nats such as Exoticas, lemon wood and Japanese (Canary) coals. Non pre-cut coals come in varying sizes and shapes and thus will give you an inconsistent experience unless you decide to cut them into similarly-sized pieces. Bulk coals are generally cheaper.

tl;dr **********.com, get the 120 piece box
Old February 28th, 2010, 02:54 AM
DoubleAim 64
Hookah Newbie

okay thanx... what are the best brands for the buck? I know Dakins wrote a few brands, but what are some other good brands to go with too?
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:00 AM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Go with whatever fits your needs, for me personally I went with the cheapest brand which happened to be Shishaco Natural coals when they were having a Buy One Get One Free sale when they started. I have yet to deplete my stash of these coals because I'm not a terribly heavy smoker.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old February 28th, 2010, 05:50 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

I've been using Exotica Natural Square Fingers for probably close to a year now. $8 for a box, 25 sticks in a box, I cut em into quarters. 100 Coals for $8 is pretty cheap for naturals without going into buying bulk style coals.

I've also got some of the new formula ******* Hookah Naturals coming, so we'll see if I switch back once I get a chance to try em out!

Either way, coconut or wood, natural coals are going to be your best friend.
Old February 28th, 2010, 07:02 AM
ajax0000
Hookah Nut

yep the coal can make a difference using a cheap QL as oppsoed to a good cocnut or wood coal changes the taste and also the length of time you can smoke. check out some of the reviews and youll see
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:00 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Here in South Africa we can only get Quick light Coals I prefer the 33mm and 44mm El Hind and Al Waha coals the size of the disk is for the different size Egyptian bowls that I use.
Share with your friends on facebook