Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

still not getting any flavor :'(

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 1st, 2010, 05:34 AM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerryAki
Default still not getting any flavor :'(

I've tried everything and im still not getting any flavor. I'm getting very upset and depressed because i cant seem to figure out the problem

I've tried different foil methods: single layer, double layer, shiny side up, shiny side down.

Different packing methods: loosely pack, patting it down, breaking apart, not breaking apart.

different bowls: 2 different egyptian bowls. one wide, one deep.

different base temperatures: cold water, room temp water, ice water.

more coals, less coals.

Cheap shisha and expensive shisha.

even buying a brand new hookah.

old hose, new hose

I know it cant be the hookah since its brand new, so it has to be me. WTF am i doing wrong??
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:11 AM
caveman
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to caveman
Default Re: still not getting any flavor :'(

how many types of shisha have you tried and what kind. If jusst one you might just have a bad batch. Happend to me with some AF Capp.
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:12 AM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

How long have you been smoking hookah? Have you smoked anything that is very wet in the packaging, starbuzz etc? Always make sure you mix extremely well so the juices are evenly distributed.
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:58 AM
himenow
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to himenow Send a message via AIM to himenow Send a message via MSN to himenow Send a message via Skype™ to himenow

It may actually just be placebo (or some form of it).
I have a couple of friends that can never taste the flavor.
I may pack the best bowl in the world, and everyone will sit and enjoy it, and these couple of friends may just smoke and feel nothing. I dunno, I guess it's a rare case when people don't feel the flavor :/
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:08 AM
Laimis
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to Laimis

I think you just can't taste it, for example I feel burnt taste, I give it to my bro and he's smokes it like the taste is good... O.o
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:20 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

Are you ever getting substantial smoke? And, what kind of coals are you using?
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:13 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Do you smoke cigarrettes Cigars ect if so your tastebuds are on strike so give them a rest then try again
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:15 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Anybody live close to TerryAki? If I lived close I would sit down with you and see what's going on. To be honest I think this one will be a little complicated to solve without seeing it, well for me anyways.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
Anybody live close to TerryAki? If I lived close I would sit down with you and see what's going on. To be honest I think this one will be a little complicated to solve without seeing it, well for me anyways.
He didnt display his location. What you can try and do is make a video of your process and let us see it, or add your location in your User Control Panel and see if someone near you can meet up and see what the deal is.
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:18 PM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

i know my taste buds aren't on strike because i smoked out of my friends hookah and everything was fine.

I've tried many types of shisha from al waha to afzal to fantasia. yes i made sure to mix it as well. as for coals, i use quick lights.

And no it's not just me. I set up my hookah last night and my sister and her boyfriend couldn't taste anything either.

Last edited by TerryAki; March 1st, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:21 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Ask your friend to set up your hookah his own way with his own shish.
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:25 PM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGram View Post
Ask your friend to set up your hookah his own way with his own shish.
i was thinking bout that. but i just want to know what the hell im doing wrong personally.
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:47 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Try an in your face flavor like Nakhla cinnamon
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:49 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glostersa View Post
Nakhla cinnamon
Wish I could set some up at work. Any time I read Nak Cinnamon, it's on my mind all day!
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

What brand of coals, and are you allowing them to completely ash over and reach optimul temps before taking a pull on the hose? Maybe try some coconaras and see what happens. I have a few I can send you to test but I wont be home until this weekend to be able to box em up and ship.
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:51 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quicklights might be the problem. Depending on the size of your bowl, quicklights sometimes simply don't distribute the heat appropriately. I have had flavor problems before, too. Perhaps not the same problem, I don't know. But, my problem was solved when I switched to natural coals and could control things more carefully.
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe View Post
What brand of coals, and are you allowing them to completely ash over and reach optimul temps before taking a pull on the hose? Maybe try some coconaras and see what happens. I have a few I can send you to test but I wont be home until this weekend to be able to box em up and ship.
I've used starlight and ive used 3kings. I might try my luck with coco's dont worry bout sending it out ill just pick some up later today. Yes, i do make sure they are completely ashed over while before placing it on my bowl and pulling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
Quicklights might be the problem. Depending on the size of your bowl, quicklights sometimes simply don't distribute the heat appropriately. I have had flavor problems before, too. Perhaps not the same problem, I don't know. But, my problem was solved when I switched to natural coals and could control things more carefully.
my bowl is pretty standard since it came with my hookah.
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:16 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAki View Post
my bowl is pretty standard since it came with my hookah.
Yeah, that's actually almost exactly the bowl that I had trouble with. It might be worth a shot to try something with more heat. You could also try a windscreen made out of an old can to trap and multiply the heat. It might, at least, rule out the possibility.
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:18 PM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, that's actually almost exactly the bowl that I had trouble with. It might be worth a shot to try something with more heat. You could also try a windscreen made out of an old can to trap and multiply the heat. It might, at least, rule out the possibility.
aside from the windscreen tip what else can i do? I've used 2 quicklights on it before, should i try 3? If i decide to get coconoras how many should i use?
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:22 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAki View Post

I know it cant be the hookah since its brand new, so it has to be me. WTF am i doing wrong??
Okay, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but is this the $20 hookah you posted about?

If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the pipe. Anything that cheap is going to have corners cut in the manufacture. Fact is, a brand new turd is still a turd.

I hate to sound like I'm ripping on your pipe, and I feel rude for doing so, but at the same time, I honestly think you are expecting too much out of a $20 pipe.

Good idea finding out where you are, maybe a local forumite could help you out.
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:28 PM
dyeforlyf
Hookah Nut

Try putting your tongue right in front of the tip of the hose when you draw in. If you don't get any taste that way, then there's something really wrong. I feel like it's probably your shisha. I've had flavorless al-waha and less than flavorful fantasia. You should get a 100g sampler of starbuzz and try that out. Starbuzz' flavor is almost always undeniable.
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:30 PM
dyeforlyf
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
I hate to sound like I'm ripping on your pipe, and I feel rude for doing so, but at the same time, I honestly think you are expecting too much out of a $20 pipe.
I didn't consider that. You could have a leak somewhere in the pipe if it's a cheap one. That will make it impossible for you to have a good smoke no matter how you set it up or what you set it up with.
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:40 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeforlyf View Post
I didn't consider that. You could have a leak somewhere in the pipe if it's a cheap one. That will make it impossible for you to have a good smoke no matter how you set it up or what you set it up with.
Hadn't thought of that either. A cheap pipe could definitely have leaks. A single little leak probably wouldn't matter, but a few little leaks together will kill your smoke and flavor. But as long as it seals, even a cheap pipe will deliver flavor and smoke. The mechanics are all the same. You can get good smoke and flavor out of a home made hookah.

Check to make sure the hookah is sealing. Without anything in your bowl. Hold your hand over the top of the bowl so no air can pass. Then, pull on your hose. If you can't pull at all, it's sealing properly. If you are able to pull, there's a leak somewhere. Start removing components one by one, and test again each time to figure out where the leak is.

Sometimes bad grommets and hoses are to blame. On a really cheap pipe, could simply be poor welding.
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:36 PM
Bee
Hookah Nut

Make a video review on how you do it, well see step by step Then maybe well found the problem!
Old March 1st, 2010, 04:55 PM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Hadn't thought of that either. A cheap pipe could definitely have leaks. A single little leak probably wouldn't matter, but a few little leaks together will kill your smoke and flavor. But as long as it seals, even a cheap pipe will deliver flavor and smoke. The mechanics are all the same. You can get good smoke and flavor out of a home made hookah.

Check to make sure the hookah is sealing. Without anything in your bowl. Hold your hand over the top of the bowl so no air can pass. Then, pull on your hose. If you can't pull at all, it's sealing properly. If you are able to pull, there's a leak somewhere. Start removing components one by one, and test again each time to figure out where the leak is.

Sometimes bad grommets and hoses are to blame. On a really cheap pipe, could simply be poor welding.
i understand a cheap pipe is a cheap pipe you get what you pay for.

The thing is, there are no leaks. I always check before each session that it is air tight. I cover and theres no pull. And like you said, even if its cheap it will still work if its air tight.

I understand my pipe is a cheap discounted hookah. But the fact of the matter is even if i bought this same pipe at a hookah shop for 50 bucks it would still be the same pipe just a higher cost.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook