Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Is this the right way to shed light on Hookah in college?!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 1st, 2010, 09:32 AM
Hookah Wheelie
Hookah Newbie

Angry Is this the right way to shed light on Hookah in college?!

Some facts are true but the wording for my health class basically gives no real information. Just saying " It's dangerous. You'll get addicted so stay away."
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:11 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo
Default Re: Is this the right way to shed light on Hookah in college?!

I don't know anyone addicted to it. I usually smoke every day, but when I'm busy and can't, or just don't do it for some reason, I don't think about it and feign for it. I'm pretty sure that statement is simply wrong.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:14 AM
Kelsey
Hookah Nut

That slide is entirely true.
You may not think it's as addictive as cigarettes but it's still addictive.
For you multiple times a day shisha smokers, try going 7-10 days without and see if you don't get a bad craving.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:30 AM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

Its true but other thing arent accounted for. Hookah shishas lacks the additives that make it crazy addictive. Also if you smoke alone its take 90 minutes to smoke a bowl and in that time its like 2-3 cigs in equivalence. So while its just as bad for you smoking anything is, amount of time and times needed smoking hookah compared to cigs makes it far more difficult to develop a physical dependency.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:41 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
For you multiple times a day shisha smokers, try going 7-10 days without and see if you don't get a bad craving.
I know lots of smokers who do that on the regular.

I dunno, I know in theory it should be addictive, but I'm just not that convinced that it actually is in practice. I mean, there are lots of studies that show that only a fraction of the addictiveness in cigarettes is the actual substance. The rest is a hodge-podge of different things. Like the convenience and oral fixation. Which is also part of the reason the nicotine patches are only pseudo effective in helping people quit.

It seems pretty plausible to me that between the pipe, bowl and coal preparation being something of an involved process, and it being nearly impossible to do when you're out and about, smokers aren't likely to develop the same psychological dependencies they'd get from cigarettes. And if that's the case, it may be chemically addictive, but ultimately a lot less addictive than other tobaccos.

That hypothesis seems to jive pretty well with our local circle of smoker's experience.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:44 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post

I dunno, I know in theory it should be addictive, but I'm just not that convinced that it actually is in practice. I mean, there are lots of studies that show that only a fraction of the addictiveness in cigarettes is the actual substance. The rest is a hodge-podge of different things. Like the convenience and oral fixation. Which is also part of the reason the nicotine patches are only pseudo effective in helping people quit.

It seems pretty plausible to me that between the pipe, bowl and coal preparation being something of an involved process, and it being nearly impossible to do when you're out and about, smokers aren't likely to develop the same psychological dependencies they'd get from cigarettes. And if that's the case, it may be chemically addictive, but ultimately a lot less addictive than other tobaccos.

That hypothesis seems to jive pretty well with our local circle of smoker's experience.
The addictive myth to hookah is just that, a myth. I smoke approximately 2-5 bowls a day during my normal time off. However, I've had to go on vacations, business trips, or just plain been out of supplies for periods of 2 weeks to a month. I never get the jitters, I never go "MUST... HAVE... HOOKAH... NOW..."

Addiction has far more involved within the brain than nicotine. Hookah is only as addictive as you let it become.

Edit: I should also note that I had probably a two-month period where I just plain didnt smoke, went from my normal 2-5 a day to 0 a day for two months. Wasnt out of town, had a full stock of supplies. Dont see many "addicts" able to drop their habit for 2 months without the urge to start back up in a much shorter time span. *shrug*

Last edited by HookahWaffle; March 1st, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:10 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahWaffle View Post
The addictive myth to hookah is just that, a myth. I smoke approximately 2-5 bowls a day during my normal time off. However, I've had to go on vacations, business trips, or just plain been out of supplies for periods of 2 weeks to a month. I never get the jitters, I never go "MUST... HAVE... HOOKAH... NOW..."

Addiction has far more involved within the brain than nicotine. Hookah is only as addictive as you let it become.

Edit: I should also note that I had probably a two-month period where I just plain didnt smoke, went from my normal 2-5 a day to 0 a day for two months. Wasnt out of town, had a full stock of supplies. Dont see many "addicts" able to drop their habit for 2 months without the urge to start back up in a much shorter time span. *shrug*
Bold parts +1. I smoked everyday, sometimes twice a day for about a year to a year and a half. Took off for 5 years. Talked about hookah because I love the tradition of it and the hobby of it, but didn't need it. I smoke once a day now and if I miss a day so be it. I don't need it, I just enjoy it.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:12 AM
Hookah Wheelie
Hookah Newbie

I just don't know why they insist on this method of providing information to the youth. It's like D.A.R.E. all over again. "Just tell them things that will scare them and let's hope they stay away."
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:29 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

i smoke hookah once a week maybe on both friday and saturday and ive skipped weeks and felt fine. and i could be wrong but in the middle east dont only adult males smoke hookah and they do it in groups so no kids and teenagers?
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

I'm just getting tired of the anti-tobacco gibberish. It's addicting? So is anything enjoyable. Step up to your weaknesses and limit it or quit. Why is quitting smoking suddenly the hardest thing in the universe. Master your desires and stop being pathetic.

You probably don't see as many anti-drug messages as anti-tobacco messages, I know that was true when I was in college.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookah Wheelie View Post
I just don't know why they insist on this method of providing information to the youth. It's like D.A.R.E. all over again. "Just tell them things that will scare them and let's hope they stay away."
I agree. I wish substance education would be more neutral, allowing people make their own decisions. You're right the education method can be similar to DARE sometimes, which from my perspective did a lot more harm than good.

DARE talked about a lot of different substances, attempting to frighten kids out of ever doing them. Thing is, when kids learned that their teeth didn't turn neon yellow as soon as they smoked a cigarette, a lot of them went off the deep end. It's like, they tried to scare them away from something, but when they found out it was mostly exaggerations, they were emboldened to do a lot more than they might've otherwise.

I just think it would be better to simply present the facts, and let us all make the decisions for ourselves.
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM
manjaco
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
False. I smoked at least one bowl per day for two to three weeks and i haven't been able to smoke for about a month now. I have not yet felt a "crave" to smoke. For me it's not one of those things that become something you HAVE to have.
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:55 PM
dyeforlyf
Hookah Nut

Quote:
You seriously need to get your facts straight. The "craving" comes from wanting to participate in something that you enjoy doing in particular situations. The "craving" that you're talking about is just as much of an "addiction" as wanting to go to the water park when it's hot outside or wanting a hot bowl of soup when it's freezing outside.

Hookah is ENJOYABLE! It's not a physical ADDICTION. When I'm hanging out with people, my hookah becomes an ice breaker for the whole group. When I'm hanging out at my house with my roommate, my hookah becomes a way for us to unwind and talk out a hard day. When I'm hanging out in my room by myself, my hookah becomes a way for me to completely chill out and enjoy my own company.

Next time you pass an ice cream shop in July and feel the urge to get a double scoop of mint chocolate chip, you should SERIOUSLY consider your addiction...
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:01 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeforlyf View Post
Next time you pass an ice cream shop in July and feel the urge to get a double scoop of mint chocolate chip, you should SERIOUSLY consider your addiction...
Lol..
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:51 PM
Firestorm
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Firestorm

Well, I smoke when I feel like it, it usually happens 1 time per day, but recenttly I haven't had any bowl for a few weeks.

So I don't consider it addictve
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:42 PM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

Quote:
False. I at least smoke 3-4 bowls a day.. Many times I've gone without for weeks or more. I never feind for it. Its just a hobby I enjoy doing.
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:49 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jride View Post
False. I at least smoke 3-4 bowls a day.. Many times I've gone without for weeks or more. I never feind for it. Its just a hobby I enjoy doing.
+1

i really don't have to smoke hookah.. i could go a month or even more w/o smoking..
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:19 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post

+1
I don't think you should be phrasing it "Still addictive" though just because I think that a lot of the points that bpetruzzo makes are much more relevant to the topic of addiction rather than the simple presence of nicotine. Maybe you should mention that it "Still contains nicotine" because I think that the addictive qualities of nicotine are entirely debatable(see thread "Nicotine Redeemed" http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14296)

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:00 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

my Question for the OP is was this a slide show presented by a teacher or by a student?
But anyways.. i would not say that i am addicted but i enjoy the social aspect of hookah. I have only smoked hookah by myself maybe twice, even though i have 3 hookahs of my own. I even leave 2 of my hookahs in my trunk at all times, and don't even set them up everytime i go hamg with my friends, when i quite easily could. There is a multitude of cigarette research but they need to further and FULLY research hookah to truly find its harm to people rather than lumping it in with another completely different product.
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:45 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

Yes do a survey right here on hp, Take it from people that Smoke hookah along with other tobaccos. right now i can say no im not addicted to hookah but i know for a fact im addicted to cigarettes (which im in the process of quitting) BTW not many cig smokers can just drop smoking after smoking for years. Majority of us said we can go without hookah no problem we only do it bc we enjoy the "hobby" and thats what i consider it.
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:47 PM
dynomitedik007
Hookah Nut

i'm addicted to it hahah and i like it.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:59 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookah Wheelie View Post
Some facts are true but the wording for my health class basically gives no real information. Just saying " It's dangerous. You'll get addicted so stay away
."

No this is not the proper way to introduce hookah. This is more "Abstinence class" scare tactics. (For example: Things I learned in Sex Ed. condoms have millions of tiny holes and they fail, you will get a girl pregnant =no matter what you do= you will probably get AIDS, or some other more disgusting body part mutilating disease and my ULTIMATE favorite... Even if you choose to have sex in another fashion besides V. "The sperm will always FIND a way to get her pregnant" O.o sayyyyyy what?) Now that I have digressed, I will continue w/ the original topic.

1. Yes they are very trendy. It's a double edged sword. It brings new people in but also bring in a lot of dumbasses who taint what hookah is about. Especially with their antihookah propaganda.

2.It is tobacco smoke but it's not the same as cigarettes . It's not processed like cigarettes and has less chemicals/ tar/nicotine than cigarettes.

3. Anything you put into your body is dangerous.

4. I may or may not be addicted to hookah. I think I am more so addicted to sitting on the couch relaxing w/ my husband and my cats while I have a good smoke. I can go on trips without any signs or symptoms of withdrawal. ( I smoke at least 1 bowl a day, sometimes more) and I have been on plenty of trips and vacations without my hookah. Never had an issue with cravings, or irritability from lack of hookah.

5. They SERIOUSLY need to stop saying that flavors are added JUST TO APPEAL TO KIDS/ YOUTH. If it tasted like ass, nobody is going to want to smoke it. If it tastes good, EVERYONE will smoke it. WOW. That's a really hard decision, I think it should be flavored!

Last edited by KoRnKitten; March 1st, 2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:53 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

It's misleading as is pretty much every single slide on that power point presentation.

Yes, hookah is addictive, but only Psychologically. You don't need the nicotine, you just need the sensation/feeling of smoking hookah.

Sure, it's tobacco smoke and still dangerous but it fails to mention that it's not as dangerous as other forms of tobacco smoke.

And yes, the flavour is really what gets people to hookah. If it wasn't for that flavor, we might as well smoke a regular pipe.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:09 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

I'ts trendy and addictive to more weak individuals perhaps, I have not smoked for a month and feel no ill effects, used to smoke daily too. ANYTHING CAN BE ADDICTIVE AND DANGEROUS PER SAY.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:50 AM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shienhausser View Post
ANYTHING CAN BE ADDICTIVE AND DANGEROUS PER SAY.
Psychologically speaking, yes. That's how people can get addicted to sugar and other such things.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook