Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Is Social Smokes NEW Brand of Shisha Tobacco Made in the USA?

Hookah Discussion

Closed Thread Share

Old March 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Is Social Smokes NEW Brand of Shisha Tobacco Made in the USA?

Is Social Smokes NEW Brand of Shisha Tobacco Made in the USA?

That is the very big question that has been on the minds of a lot of people after accusations were made against their claim to be "Made in the USA" shisha tobacco. So in order to answer this question (once and for all) .. I was invited, along with two other hookah connoisseurs, to come and see for myself. I think the easiest way to prove that this is "Made in the USA" is to take a look at some pics from MY PERSONAL iPhone!

Picture 1.) SocialSmoke.com - Where the manufacturing happens! Texas, USA

Picture 2.) In this picture you can see one of the giant boxes filled with imported flue cured Virgina tobacco .. ohhhh such a nice golden color!
Yes it is imported flue cured Virgina tobacco that is MADE INTO shisha tobacco right there in Texas, USA! aka "Made in the USA" .. Let's continue on .. lots more pics to see!

Picture 3.) Each of us got to hold some of the tobacco in our hands to feel how dry it was. I even took a few pieces and chewed it while savoring the juices. Mmmmmm!

Picture 4.) This is a picture of the tobacco during one of its steps towards becoming smokable hookah tobacco deliciousness!

Picture 5.) Just couldn't resist taking some in my hand and seeing how it felt and what it smelled like during this process.

Picture 6.) A picture of a sheet of labels that they print right there at Social Smoke .. by the way .. this is a GREAT energy drink flavor! (aka Red Bull, Rockstar, Monster, etc.)

Picture 7.) Hooray! The finished product! .. I took this picture of the shisha tobacco while it was in the tub that they used to complete the final stage for us. They took this very tobacco and set this up for all of us to smoke in their conference room while we were enjoying some delicious green tea that Dr. Sayyid Nadimi personally prepared for us, ate some snacks and had some great conversation with the Nadimi family. They are very well educated, very honest and show a high level of professional integrity in business.

Picture 8.) Here is a pic of us smoking many many many flavors of the new Social Smoke shisha tobacco with Dr. Sayyid Nadimi and his three sons .. Abrahim, Ali, and Muhammad in their personal home.

So is this Made in the USA? Absolutely it is and it is made proudly! I saw it with my own eyes! From the very first stage to the final stage. There are a lot of pictures I cannot show you, other than the ones they approved in this post .. but I can tell you that I also got to see employees packaging right their on location and I also got to see employees getting together a gigantic shipment to be shipped out.

Just so you all know, out of courtesy I ask for their approval to show you the above pictures because this area of the warehouse was guarded with cameras and shielded from employees eyes with high opaque fences! So consider yourself lucky to see some of these pictures.

Like any other shisha tobacco brand .. they have their share of hit and miss flavors. Social Smoke took the time to listen to the Hookah Pro Members input about the tobacco and will be making some changes to the flavors that didn't quite hit as hard as some of the other flavors. Some of my most memorable flavors were Mobster, White Peach, Coconut, Lime, Chai Latte, Cinnamint, Lemon Chill, Baja Blue .. ahhh you know what, just look for my reviews!

I would like to thank the Nadimi family for inviting me and other Hookah Pro Members into their personal home. The food was delicious, the music was great and the memory will last a lifetime for all of us!

I feel very fortunate to make friends with some of the nicest people I have ever met in the hookah industry! These guys truly are very well educated, sincere and show an incredibly high level of professional integrity in business! I am honored to have been given this great opportunity!

Cheers! .. Sambooka

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:34 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Default Re: Is Social Smokes NEW Brand of Shisha Tobacco Made in the USA?

WOW.. that is pretty damn cool.. i didn't you were taken into the factory.. lucky! lol.. it looks like they are enjoying themselves in that picture
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:35 PM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

Sounds good. Looks fun.

Just wanting to know why you cant post all of them up?

I wish you never told me there were more pictures. Now im too dang curious.

Last edited by Jride; March 1st, 2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:37 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jride View Post
Sounds good.. But I want all of the pictures.
i don't think he can.. factory security or w/e.. they don't want their secrets revealed LOL
ryon
Hookah Nut

That is really cool.
I might have to try some of this soon
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Thats so epic Samb!
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:39 PM
Jride
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_HATTER View Post
i don't think he can.. factory security or w/e.. they don't want their secrets revealed LOL
Its hookah tobacco. lol. Never knew that shisha companies were that secretive. Then again, I wouldnt want my flavor ingredients being able to be made by everyone.
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:41 PM
Special K
Hookah Nut

Great stuff! Thanks for the insight!
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:42 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Its hookah tobacco. lol. Never knew that shisha companies were that secretive. Then again, I wouldnt want my flavor ingredients being able to be made by everyone.
yep same thing with soda companies like let say Dr. Pepper.. they dont want anyone knowing their secrets or w/e
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:43 PM
Jride
Banned

Quote:
yep same thing with soda companies like let say Dr. Pepper.. they dont want anyone knowing their secrets or w/e
True. I've just always been curious to see the whole process on how hookah tobacco is made. This is pretty much just a rough view.
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:48 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Just wanting to know why you cant post all of them up?
Trade Secrets .. I had to get authorization to post the pics I posted.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy my writeup and pictures.

Cheers! .. Sambooka

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:06 PM
manjaco
Hookah Aficionado

Thats very cool SamB I'm excited to give some of this stuff a try. And i'm always happy to see more things made right here in the USA.
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:07 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Before you also start publicly making these claims you should familiarize yourself with the actual FTC policy on the expressed or implied claim of being "Made in USA". It not only applies to product marking but to pretty much every major form of marketing currently used. I've already been in discussion with Abrahim through PMs on another forum about this because I felt they should at least be knowledgeable of the policy so they can better protect themselves if it ever is enforced, which it hasn't as far as hookah products go. That isn't to say that it would not be if more and more attention is brought on this subject.

In short, an unqualified "Made in USA" claim requires that "all significant parts and processing that go into the product are of U.S. origin." The use of imported tobacco prevents them from meeting that requirement. Cured tobacco is also not a raw material by definition. They could qualify their claims by stating the percentage of US content by means of total cost or by saying something along the lines of "Made in USA from imported tobacco". They do however meet the requirements for an unqualified "Assembled in USA" claim, which is something that cannot be said about manufacturers that start with an imported mu'assel base. If you have any insight into the brands available in the US then you should know exactly which ones do.

If this isn't a thread you started with specific permission from Social Smoke as far as the "Made in USA" content, then I would recommend getting in contact with them about it.
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:20 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I was just happy when I found out they weren't just making another starbuzz clone
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:30 PM
Jride
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post
Before you also start publicly making these claims you should familiarize yourself with the actual FTC policy on the expressed or implied claim of being "Made in USA". It not only applies to product marking but to pretty much every major form of marketing currently used. I've already been in discussion with Abrahim through PMs on another forum about this because I felt they should at least be knowledgeable of the policy so they can better protect themselves if it ever is enforced, which it hasn't as far as hookah products go. That isn't to say that it would not be if more and more attention is brought on this subject.

In short, an unqualified "Made in USA" claim requires that "all significant parts and processing that go into the product are of U.S. origin." The use of imported tobacco prevents them from meeting that requirement. Cured tobacco is also not a raw material by definition. They could qualify their claims by stating the percentage of US content by means of total cost or by saying something along the lines of "Made in USA from imported tobacco". They do however meet the requirements for an unqualified "Assembled in USA" claim, which is something that cannot be said about manufacturers that start with an imported mu'assel base. If you have any insight into the brands available in the US then you should know exactly which ones do.

If this isn't a thread you started with specific permission from Social Smoke as far as the "Made in USA" content, then I would recommend getting in contact with them about it.
I learn something new everyday.
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:31 PM
305hookah
Hookah Newbie

Awesome...... I want to try some......
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:31 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

one question.. is this a washed tobacco?
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:33 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
one question.. is this a washed tobacco?
yes. no buzz at all.
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:34 PM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

it was great to smoke all this shisha and i was happy with most of the flavors as a whole. getting to meet a lot of HP members and smoke together was awesome
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:35 PM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
yes. no buzz at all.
it it unwashed........
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:50 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
yes. no buzz at all.
wtf.. i keep hearing it's washed and its unwashed... im confused now lol
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:54 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Very cool field trip Samb! Good to see something decent looking go into a starbuzz-type can...

I don't suppose these new tobacco lines do some sort of launch sampler to let people get a whiff of their stuff do they? 11 bucks + shipping is pretty steep for a complete shot in the dark (don't know the brand, don't know the flavor)
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post

was going to post something to this extent.
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:03 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

SS made the claim of made in the USA in another thread, they gave Sambooka permission to post the pics and make this thread. Lets not start a legal rambling and just enjoy the pics and write ups as they were intended.
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:13 PM
Social Smoke
**~ Supporting Vendor ~**

Thanks to all the HookahPro.com users that could make it out this weekend and make the event so successful. Sambooka was gracious enough to take time away from his lovely wife to spend time with us.

Concerning Foibled's post..... Thank you for all the PM's you have sent us. It has been great to have such an active member of the hookah community looking out for us.

We have been in contact with the FTC, unfortunately they do not provide guidance or rulings concerning "Made in USA" claims other than what is on their website. Instead, they instructed us to contact attorney's specializing in FTC rules and interpretation.

There are points on both sides of the "Assembled in USA" and "Made in USA from imported leaf" and the standard "Made in USA" claims.

According to US Customs and the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau cured tobacco is actually considered an unmanufactured tobacco and is thus considered a raw ingredient that will ultimately be used in the manufacturing of a tobacco product. Based on our processing cost, cost of raw materials, and the actual percentage of tobacco to final product we feel that our current claim is valid. However, we have NO intention of deceiving anyone. In our initial reply concerning whether we make our tobacco or not we stated we import the leaf:
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19636

At this time this issue has been forwarded to our legal team and advisors, and we will make any adjustments deemed necessary.
Closed Thread Share
Share with your friends on facebook