Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

thinking about turning my garage into a smoke/chill zone

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
YoYoMan
Hookah Newbie

Default thinking about turning my garage into a smoke/chill zone

This might get a little needlessly long..

Its not connected to our house. now we pretty much just use it to store stuff and for yard equipment. Its gotten pretty junky in there since we basically just throw stuff in there and don't really keep it organized (and there is a lot of crap we should just throw away)

But i started this project just out of sheer boredom and the fact that i went out there and pretty much couldn't walk through there was so much stuff lying around. A little organizing went a long way though.

Anyway the main reason i'm posting this is for suggestions. Do you think this is a good idea? i was thinking maybe get a couch and stuff for el cheapo (or free! CRAIGSLIST!) i just want kind of a space were i can have some friends over and chill and maybe smoke.. maybe get a tv and stuff... course at this age i really should be looking into moving out heheheh

i have pictures too if your interested.. it was still a mess when i took them (for before and after YOU KNOW)
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:06 AM
zeoalex
Hookah Nut

Default Re: thinking about turning my garage into a smoke/chill zone

if you can get a good setup going, by all means.
can you smoke in the house right now?
can you lock it/if not will you leave your setups in there?
Is there wifi/cable if you so desire?
and ultimately - is it a comfortable size for your rigs, you, a couch or two, perhaps a TV?
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:13 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Oh yeah, I love my setup and if you customize it to your liking you'll be happy you did.

I usually smoke at my computer when I'm by myself but if people are over there's a large couch, a recliner, and a few other chairs to pull up around a cedar chest. It's very near the computer so I can put on any tunes I wish. And there's a TV. Also a coffee maker and a microwave in close proximity, as well as two coil burners. All I'm missing is a sink, there's a refrigerator and freezer around the corner. A bed too actually, and it's nice that it's not mine, it's a place where guests can sleep comfortably.

I want to set it up so I can watch videos from my computer on the large TV, and probably get a nicer sound system for the music. Maybe a fan too.

Smoking a hookah while in a recliner is great by the way, pack something like Desi Murli and you'll be glad you're in it.

I didn't really buy anything for the setup I just got lucky with having everything, so look around, it might be like mine and cost you nothing. Literally bought none of these for the setup. And if you're not so lucky then you can replace certain things.. Get an old radio, or a styrofoam cooler, and like you said craigslist would provide some opportunities.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:37 AM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

I've got a nice little nook attached to the house on our porch. The porch wraps around the house so there is a small section of roof over my section. I dragged up a couple of old deck chairs from my grandparent's old house. Added a small middle eastern table to put the coil burner on. My wireless router is close enough that I can get wireless outside. One of my favorite parts is that in the summer when it rains, the rain is outside on my left and right while smoking and its very peaceful to sit in the middle of torrential downpours and listen to the rain while smoking.
Some things that I'd keep in mind have already been said on this thread(wireless/cable hookup) but I'd also put in for some natural sunlight, cant beat that stuff!

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:38 AM
SMoKEY_82
Hookah Nut

Im in the same boat as you man, in our culture you stay with ur parents until ur married etc so I'm still at home aswell. I smoke outside as cant indoor so Im also thinking of converting the back shed where we store un used furniture etc taking ti all out cleaning it and then using it as my nargile crib/clubhouse lol Its got concrete floors so i can be comfy and not worry about dropping coals and burning carpet, etc I wanna get a nice comfy couch, a barfridge, put the 32 lcd in there ps3 etc maybe even get a small a/c installed for the hot summer nights. should be nice. But these are all dependant on if we do end up buying this place as we are renting at the moment and the owners have some of their stuff stored in the back etc.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:45 AM
brasssmunkye
Hookah Newbie

i turned my garage (thats not attatched to my house) into a nice lounge area, its pretty sweet

well, its more of a really big shed than a real garage lol...

i have an old beatup couch, a weird round chair thing, a couple folding chairs and a couple tables(one for drinks/snacks and to put the windcover when its not on etc)
and one for beerpong etc :P

no cable or anything out there, but i put some cheap computer speakers out there so people just bring their ipods over etc and plug them in, its pretty nice....

but i'm moving soon, and the place i'm looking at has a way better garage and its attatched to the house, so that will be nice
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:47 AM
Sleepdeprived12
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Sleepdeprived12

it sounds sweet, craigslist can be a pia when it comes to trying to get free stuff, most of the time it seems like people he 80 million responses in a minute, maybe its just because i'm in the city. I would sign up for freecycle.org, ot doesn't cost anything but its moderated and I have had much better luck with it

wow after re-reading that I would just like to add that I am by no means affiliated with freecycle lol just tryin to help a brotha out
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:08 AM
Jessica
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to Jessica Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica Send a message via Skype™ to Jessica

a garage/chill zone is a great idea, if it not attached to the house heating or air conditioning (depending where you live) is something to be considered and often over looked. Alas, my garage is the place where i smoke my hookah, there a 2 couches, a large round table which i finished the top with tile myself and Tv/stereo..and a fridge... got to stay hydrated! lol Garages are optimal when you down own the home since you can run into issues with the damage the coals can do, But as always make sure it fits your needs before going along. Home based hookah chill spots are always a great way to get away...without having to go far :-)
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:13 AM
NoUseForAName
Hookah Newbie

I think its a great idea.
I actually thought of doing the whole myself as well haha
even the couch finding on craigslist.
Just throw in a stereo, some bean bag chairs, and a flatscreen and its all good!
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
03rivers
Hookah Nut

My fiance's family owns an old farmhouse that we have considered moving too and you can bet I already scoped out a room I'm going to convert into a lounge if we do move there.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
YoYoMan
Hookah Newbie

Hmm. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think i'm gonna continue with my plans now lol.

Its a pretty big shed, with the whole garage door car port thing. The regular door knob is broken (its kind of a pain just getting in actually) but i think i might buy a new one sometime this week.

It can get REAL hot in the summer and its pretty cold right now. My dad installed a wood stove which i might use but i'm not too sure (don't really have any wood lying around.)

There are a ton of like, spare entertainment stuff outside. We have a pretty much complete stereo system (actual stereo is like 10+ years old, the speakers are pretty new and really good. and a big sub too). We have an old 52 inch projection tv which is broke and maybe i'll get that fixed. My mom is getting a projector screen for free (someone marked on it) so i guess she might also get a projector (which i think is backwards).. also we have a fridge and deep freezer, no sink/water..

The thing is, there is an upstairs area.. sort of like an attic i guess. But there is only this kind of rickety wood ladder to get up there... so a lot of the stuff i want to put upstairs isn't exactly easy to put up there

oh yeah, and no internet.. years ago when they hooked up the cable here they gave us a bunch of wire so we could hook up the garage later if we wanted.. i dunno if that'll cost extra or how it works.. i may call when i'm done cleaning
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
blazingking
Hookah Nut

right now i use my bedroom as a lounge and i feel the most comfartable smoking here.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
HOOKAH JOK3R
Hookah Nut

do it!
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:09 PM
uk_shisha_king
Hookah Nut

That is a really nice idea, I would love to have space like that if I had the space.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Screamsalvation
Hookah Newbie

Sounds ideal man.

I know around here Comcast cable charges like $20 to put an addition drop in. Shouldn't matter where the cable drop is going to the garage (they will have to string the cable through the air unless you dig a trench for it), as for internet, there is always a wireless router. If you are gonna use the upstairs too, please build a more secure ladder, or better yet, is there room to add in a small staircase?
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:35 PM
noobiE46
Hookah Nut

my garage is my smoke zone i have a few camping chairs and usually have my friends over during the weekends but when we're not smoking i park the car there
Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
YoYoMan
Hookah Newbie

i was thinking of using the upstairs mostly for storage but if i built some stairs i might fix it up up there too.. thing is its ALWAYS hot of there.. like its pretty much whatever temp it is outside downstairs (so like 33 degrees now) and like 75 upstairs... but i'm thinking maybe replacing the ladder with a legit set of stairs..

and is the 20 dollars like monthly? because i don't think my parents would go for that.. and they'l probably dig a trench (thats what they did for myhouse, after they just laid it out on the ground for like a month lol)

i'm excited for this now.. up until now i've been kinda meh on inviting friends over.. now i'll be slightly less meh.. this is gonna be an exclusive thing or else EVERYONE in this small town is gonna wanna come over and party.. which i DO NOT WANT. too many rednecks and river rats and whatnot.. no offense.. they aren't the kind of people you want at your house.. even if it is a garage
Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
Screamsalvation
Hookah Newbie

No the $20 bucks is a one time fee for running the cable to the new area. I just know here they will not dig the trench, only string it from one building to another.

I know how you feel about not wanting everyone over. Some sort of people around here, I don't like people even stepping into the yard.
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:56 AM
forecastle
Hookah Pro

I say go get'em champ. I personally want a nice 1800's stempunk-esque style study where I can keep my tobacco pipes, hookah's, a personal wet bar, and lots and lots of book shelves . Alot of wood and copper/brass/gold tones.
But to each their own. I say follow through and make it a great spring project. Post lots of pics so we can see how it turns out. Even if it looks like the lamda lamda lamda frat house it will still be your personal chill zone. And, that makes it the best place to be.
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Sleepdeprived12
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Sleepdeprived12

Quote:
Originally Posted by forecastle View Post
I say go get'em champ. I personally want a nice 1800's stempunk-esque style study where I can keep my tobacco pipes, hookah's, a personal wet bar, and lots and lots of book shelves . Alot of wood and copper/brass/gold tones.
a man after my own heart
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:47 PM
alanpeterson68
Hookah Aficionado

So what's the word on the chill zone?
Share with your friends on facebook