Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

underage smoking

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 27th, 2008, 09:10 PM
mikey
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mikey
Default underage smoking

what do you guys say to kids who smoke hookah...not very young like 14 nad up...
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: underage smoking

This an issue I am concerned with for three reasons:

1) Underage smoking is used as an excuse to repress smokers and for that reason alone we should oppose it.
2) Smoking does entail substantial (if greatly exaggerated) health risks and minors (and most adults ) lack the desire and means to understand those risks and make an informed choice about tobacco use.
3) Youths simply lacl the ability to appreciate the esthetics involved with smoking and the craftsmanship involved. If a teenager does something chances are it's because of peer pressure rather then for a love of the thing itself.
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:29 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

They just do it to try to be cool, they don't do it for any other reason.

But it is their choice to break the law and i won't stop them, just watch them get in loads of shit.
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:03 PM
bigguy
Hookah Nut

I think Hajo Flettner has it right.

We as a group of smokers do not need more laws or legal problems.

I know people that work retail and they get checked by the cops. The cops try to get them to sell cigs to under age kids . The fines are a lot for doing it.

Bigguy
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:04 PM
mikey
Hookah Newbie

ya i agree with you both but hookah tabacco isnt as hign in nicotine as ciggs. or other things my lil brother whos 16 always smokes with me..i always ask him wh he says he likes it and i let him pack it hes pretty good. thats the only thing i dissagree with you on hajo he acctually does it because he likes it....
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I agree with Hajo, and I disapprove of underage smoking. Best to wait until you are of legal age to make that kind of decision. Peer pressure contributes to a lot of underage smoking. I was an underage smoker and I WISH I had not started smoking at a young age. If I hadn't given into underage peer pressure to smoke, I probably wouldn't have smoked cigarettes as long as I did. I quit smoking cigarettes, but honestly I wish I NEVER started!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:38 PM
mr weenis
Hookah Nut

'round here, its legal to smoke at 16, but you must be 18 to purchase tobacco products. makes no sence, right? oh well...

if that is the case, i was never an underage smoker, as i think i started smoking hookah at 16 and pipes at 18.

but i really don't think underagers should smoke. minors should view smoking a hookah the way we view setting it up-- once you start puffing it tastes all the sweeter (yeah, yeah, cheesy, i know)
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:42 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

18 is 18 thats it to it..i'll admit it .. i started when i was 17 and i didnt know what i was geting into but as i kept on doing it i finally realized ... i realized no one can load a bowl like me
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

another reason why underage smoking is a bad idea:

Until you are 18, or are emancipated, your parents or legal guardians are responsible for your health care. They are to make sure your medical needs are met. This gives them the right to manage health risks of the child....such as smoking.

And yet another reason not to smoke until you are an adult:

So I wont have to read another one of those "How do I come out of the closet about hookah to my parents?" threads.

lol.
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:21 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

First time I smoked hookah was 16 at my friend's house. It wasn't cuz of peer pressure or to look "cool", its because it seemed very relaxing and I was curious cuz I ever smoked before at that time. I ended really liking it and promised myself that I'd get one when I was 18! :P

Underaged smoking: It doesn't bug me too much when minors do it (only 16-17 year olds. Anything younger than that annoys me)...But it does get me mad how 14-15) year old kids manage to actually get into hookah lounges for reasons unknown and I don't think its fair to people who are of age.
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:26 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

when i was 18 and in high school, the underclassmen started smoking hookah before me. Pretty weird. I think that the kids at my school were bored. they needed something to do with their friends when they hung out. The problem is, they obsess about it, and it gets to a point where they quit sports and other activities because they rather be smoking hookah. But who can we blame? the parents? most of my underclassmen friends hid their hookahs from the parents, and they never found out.
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:09 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Underage smoking is a big no no. However, if a teen chooses to find the means do so (which they easily can), then there's pretty much no stopping them. Unless they get caught they will continue to do it. Underage smoking is one of those things that can't really be prevented or stopped 100%. Sure, we as a community can help slow it down, but the problem will still be here.

It's just like when you turn 21. By that time, the majority of people out there have already had a drink at least once in their life. Is it illegal, yes. Is it dangerous, in a way yes. Can anybody stop it 100%, no. The truth is, by the time a person is 21, he or she has most likely gotten drunk several times. And at that point when they turn 21, it doesn't really matter anymore because they've already been drinking for some time.

I don't approve of underage smoking or drinking. But to be honest, if I were to run into a teen doing either one, I'd simply give them some proper advice and tell them to be sensible. I'm not going to lecture them or rat them out, there'd be no point in that. There's no stopping it. I too was once a rebel teen, and I had plenty of underage drunk nights under my belt. I'm not proud of it in any way, but I know what it's like. It was irresponsible and risky (young and stupid). But it isn't all that bad though, because it made me into the person I am today. Back in my highschool days, I used to do drink every weekend. Now 5 years later I've pretty much quit all together. I only drink on holidays or anniversary's. And even then it's in moderation.

I guess it all depends on the person. Maturity comes in at different times. There's nothing we can do to change that. It's up to those teens parents out there to help them mature at the right time for them to make the proper choices.
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
ya i agree with you both but hookah tabacco isnt as hign in nicotine as ciggs. or other things my lil brother whos 16 always smokes with me..i always ask him wh he says he likes it and i let him pack it hes pretty good. thats the only thing i dissagree with you on hajo he acctually does it because he likes it....
I guess that since nicotine nothing like the demon it is portrayed as I don't think that it is much of an issue in so far as under aged smoking is concerned. Certainly some youths do enjoy smoking (although I think that is rare) yet they enjoy a wide range of things that are harmful to varying extents without having any grasp of the art, joy and beauty of what they do. Like sex and fine ales tobacco is for adults and should be indulged in only with maturity and forethought.
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster
another reason why underage smoking is a bad idea:

Until you are 18, or are emancipated, your parents or legal guardians are responsible for your health care. They are to make sure your medical needs are met. This gives them the right to manage health risks of the child....such as smoking.

And yet another reason not to smoke until you are an adult:

So I wont have to read another one of those "How do I come out of the closet about hookah to my parents?" threads.

lol.
Excellent point Lake. I wish I thought of it. When I was young I wasn't really interested in tobacco at all although my father was a pipe smoker I never thought about it until I was in my late teens. Although I tried cigarettes as a young adult I never liked them because they burned hot (as a result of the short filler) and tasted like crap. I never even heard of narghiles until I went to Syria on business but by that time I was long time pipe and cigar smoker.
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:26 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I got into cigars early, at about 16, but it was an occasional thing. A shop sold to under-age, with a premium of course, unless you knew the guy.

I never got into cigs, i have always thought they were just terrible. Most people here get into smoking at under-age, and thrive when they turn 18 and either end up smoking nothing, smoking hookah, or smoking "other stuff".

I was allowed a hookah at age 17, it was accepted in my household. I have no eastern culture in my family, it was just OK. i only know a couple other people who are allowed that, they are all girls, only they were more into drinking. i have just kept with the hookah, and everyone who hears that i hookah sees it as sophisticated.

I think that is one reason for under-age smoking. They want to grow up so fast, and be so cool.
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:44 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

same. I like hookah, but the thought of cigarettes is just nasty.
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:49 AM
bigguy
Hookah Nut

I have smoked cigarettes in the past and never liked them. Now cigars I like a lot.
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:52 AM
mikey
Hookah Newbie

ya ive never liked ciggs. or anything else for that matter e
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:59 AM
freepain
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to freepain

Not gonna lie i smoked hookah for the first time when i was 9 years old. I was raised Muslim so it was really common place since my step dad was from Egypt, but thats me. I do feel that it does bring a bad view on hookah when kids smoke and only makes smoke laws get worse. So if i see a kid smoking hookah and he's 17 or what ever i really don't care but if i saw someone smoking that was around the age i started i would for sure say something.
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:29 AM
mikey
Hookah Newbie

i tried it when i was ten and im assyrian so its pretty common for me as well.. but i didnt really start till the end of 15...
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:37 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakingkevin23
same. I like hookah, but the thought of cigarettes is just nasty.
Ugh same here. I dunno how my friend can smoke a pack a week. They taste soooo bad. The only thing I actually KINDA like smoke other than hookah is Black and Milds. They taste kinda okay, but they do taste nasty and way too hot after a while. I Don't smoke BM much anymore (I've stopped), I've probably only did a few packs last year and that was it.
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
i tried it when i was ten and im assyrian so its pretty common for me as well.. but i didnt really start till the end of 15...
What does it mean to be an Assyrian? I thought that was an historical term do you mean Syrian? Anyway, i'd like to hear about narghile use in your family as the subject is something i don't hear about much being an Occidental.
Old January 28th, 2008, 06:50 AM
brockjohnson
Hookah Newbie

I just recently turned 18 actually

I started smoking at 16 and my mom found out that I smoked about a year after I started. She "gave up" on me like she does about everything. I love menthol cigarettes and I told her that. She was of course concerned healthwise but said in her stubborn attitude, "I don't care, go and kill yourself." about 6 months ago, she guilted me into not smoking cigs until I was 18. Yes, I've had the occasional since then (about 1 every 2 months) but if it was up to me (and if cigarette prices in the chicagoland area weren't 6-8 bucks a pack) I'd smoke a pack per day.

I can't stand regular cigarettes except for camel turkish royals. I appreciate the nice taste of the tobacco. It's mild and has a true tobacco flavor.

I don't really feel one way or the other about smoking. I knew people who started at 14. I think it's kinda young but I think 16 would be a better age to make it legal.

I know in France that it's legal at 16 and fewer teens smoke there. It's similar to turning 21 and alcohol, (or so I've heard) that you don't get as big of a kick out of it when it's legal. Yes I've gotten drunk a couple times but honestly, I think now, more than ever, teens are in the smoking generation.

Pretty much everyone I talk to around my age has tried, occasionally has, or consistently smokes. Some only with a drink, others at parties, and some just because they're addicted.

I think it's a philisophical question that pertains to age; I view age as just a number, it's maturity level that counts. I've been told I'm very mature, and it makes sense because I hate it when people do stupid things just to be stupid (like "Jackass the movie"). But I find smoking to be a release and it's something that puts me in a pensive state of mind. It is enjoyable for me and something I couldn't care less about healthwise (not because I have a young invincible complex, more like I have a certain predestination formed philosophy, but that's for another thread.)

The one thing I wish could really be done about this is for people to stop heckling smokers, we enjoy it, leave it be.
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I won't be a hypocrite about this I stole smokes from my Mom and one of my friends stole them from his Uncle and Grandmom. I smoked cigs on occasion starting at 13 or 14. Smoked cigs everyday from 16-34. I was smoking 2 packs a day when I put them down 12/04/06. If they weren't available I'd probably have never started. I don't think underage people should smoke for the various reasons Hajo, Lake and Sam B listed.

BTW I started smoking hookah mid June 2007. I wanted a way to relax that didn't involve a 5 shot vodka drink (I also started drinking young too, but that's another story). So I don't mess with alcohol or cigs anymore. I smoke my hookah after dinner. It's my only vice now! LOL
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:39 AM
hookah_connoisseur
Hookah Newbie

personally I don't like underage smoking, my girlfriend dad started smoking cigs when he was about thirteen and he is 60 something and he has this horrible cough...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook