Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

underage smoking

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Default Re: underage smoking

Its illegal, period. I dont approve of underage smoking and dont tolerate it in my presence.
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

Over here in New Mexico the LEGAL age to smoke is 15, although, to buy the products you have to be 18 so that doesn't really make sense now does it? I started smoking hookah when I was 17 and my parents knew and gave their consent and all that crap. So, It wasn't illegal. Now if my 14 year old sister decided to start smoking I would get bellegerent to say the least. I think she should wait the extra year before she makes the choice to smoke.
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:51 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockjohnson
I know in France that it's legal at 16 and fewer teens smoke there. It's similar to turning 21 and alcohol, (or so I've heard) that you don't get as big of a kick out of it when it's legal.
No arguments here! When Ibecame legal age, I almost quit drinking. It took half the fun out of it.
Later when I was out on my own and started having some disposable income, I learned to appreciate a fine adult beverage. So, consequently, my taste in alcohol tends to be toward more unusual things. My current obsession is absinthe
Quote:
The one thing I wish could really be done about this is for people to stop heckling smokers, we enjoy it, leave it be.
That is because there will always be a segment of the population that will never be happy as long as someone else is enjoying themselves.

Mein life sucks! Zat much iss true!
I vill noot shtop until yours sucks, too!

Old January 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Mukle
Hookah Newbie

age isnt an appropriate factor in ones ability to make choices. I know adults that make choices much worse than kids I know. There is however a huge problem where vendors and bars can get shut down if they are caught. Personally, I dont care. I wont help underage kids get stuff but if for some reason I was with them smoking who am I to say no?
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:11 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

well i had my first try of hookah at 17 but it was like a month before my 18th birthday and i bought my first hookah after i was 18 so yea... i dont like underage smokers i was at the local hookah bar the other night and a bunch of kids came in probly around 16 years old at most and im just like"psh" but its what ever they dont card or anything around here so theres nothing i can do? all though i let my brother try my hookah and hes 15 the exception is he actually likes to smoke it for its flavour and everything not to be cooll or any shit like that.
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:41 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

i first tried a cigarette when i was fresh out of 5th grade. smoking always caught my attention, like what could be so great about it? i never really became much of a smoker till highschool though, and didnt get into hookah until right after. but i tell people that cigarettes are worthless and they should be avoided.

however, someday when i have some little offspring running around i may let them take a puff or 2 of the hookah to see what its all about, but not til at least 16. i also stronly believe that if you raise your kids right you wont have to worry much about their decision making
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

When my children were still alive they saw me smoke often and I always made it clear that it was something for adults only. They never seemed interested in doing it. Basically I think that underage smoking is wrong on all the
levels i've mentioned and it should be discouraged even places were smoking is legal prior to 18.
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:04 AM
nicog90
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
This an issue I am concerned with for three reasons:

1) Underage smoking is used as an excuse to repress smokers and for that reason alone we should oppose it.
2) Smoking does entail substantial (if greatly exaggerated) health risks and minors (and most adults ) lack the desire and means to understand those risks and make an informed choice about tobacco use.
3) Youths simply lacl the ability to appreciate the esthetics involved with smoking and the craftsmanship involved. If a teenager does something chances are it's because of peer pressure rather then for a love of the thing itself.
I agree with you on most points except the last. I started smoking hookah when I was 16 and i always enjoyed it. To me its not really a thing which I do just to get a buzz, i like it because its relaxing and because its also part of my middle eastern culture. Kids in the middle east start smoking at very early ages such as 13 or14 years old and they grow up with it in their culture.
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:31 AM
mikey
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mikey

ya thats true someone asked me to explain what it is to be assyrian its baasically the same as being arabic lol in simple terms we have our own language and most come from syria and others iraq and iran those are the man places...
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:02 AM
mr weenis
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicog90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
This an issue I am concerned with for three reasons:

1) Underage smoking is used as an excuse to repress smokers and for that reason alone we should oppose it.
2) Smoking does entail substantial (if greatly exaggerated) health risks and minors (and most adults ) lack the desire and means to understand those risks and make an informed choice about tobacco use.
3) Youths simply lacl the ability to appreciate the esthetics involved with smoking and the craftsmanship involved. If a teenager does something chances are it's because of peer pressure rather then for a love of the thing itself.
I agree with you on most points except the last. I started smoking hookah when I was 16 and i always enjoyed it. To me its not really a thing which I do just to get a buzz, i like it because its relaxing and because its also part of my middle eastern culture. Kids in the middle east start smoking at very early ages such as 13 or14 years old and they grow up with it in their culture.
i would agree with this. i think we belittle minors a bit too much...sure, most of 'em are little snotbags, but there are plenty of cultured, intelligent kids out there who appreciate art, music, films, and good alcoholic drinks, and could most certainly appreciate a hookah.
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:27 AM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

in my opinion i dont agree if u are from 12-15 thats way too young.. but 16+ i think its ok because the person will know what might happend so its their problem.

Old January 30th, 2008, 09:50 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Smoking is not good for minors nor adults, i believe as long as someone is old enough to understand how bad hookah is for you and wether you are ready to sacrifice what this hobby takes away from you for what it offers to you it's fine. I've also read in this post that "Youths lack the ability to fully apreciate the aesthetics and calture of hookah " (i think i was hajo) and i completetly disagree with this. Am still 17 (legal age is 16 here) and i believe i apreciate the calture of hookah and more than most adults in here and have prooven it with my numerous posts on hookah calture and history. Clouding and blowing rings comes 2nd in my list. I love the Craftsmen ship and calture of hookah, try to follow the "etiquettes and traditions" of hookah in every sesion, love my hobby from cleaning the hookah to loading the bowl and enjoy every single session.

I agree with you that most "children" at my age dont apreciate the hookah to its full extend and only like to cloud it as much as possible but i feel very insulted when people generalize thinks so much. It's the same thing as saying blond women cant drive and Hajo you are the last person i expected hearing such generalizations from as i consider you one of the most knowladgable persons in here. I fully agree with your 1st and 2nd point on the 1st reply but the other one make me feel insulted.

Cheers
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishaholiC
Smoking is not good for minors nor adults, i believe as long as someone is old enough to understand how bad hookah is for you and wether you are ready to sacrifice what this hobby takes away from you for what it offers to you it's fine.
My daughter is 9 and she understands how bad hookah and any other smoking is for her and adults but that doesnt make it ok for her to start smoking since she can understand the health hazards. That point you made makes no sense. There is a legal age limit for a reason, everyone is different, but there has to be a line drawn.

Billy
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:56 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

I agree with you husk but thats not what i wanted it to say. English is not my first language and sometime i can express what i want so say in the way i want to. What i meant was that i believe that not everyone is the same. And some "children" (i dont mean 10yo children) are mature enough to understand that their hobby is not the healthiest out there but prefer what it give to them than what it takes. Where i live, it's legal but if you are not 18 your parents can "resctrict it" (again not the exact word i wanted to use but cant think of any better now)

Cheers
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:25 PM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

I dunno, this is kind of a mixed emotion subject for me. Would I let my kids smoke underage, hell no, laws are laws and inplace for a reason. If we like them or not.
Although I do believe there are some bright teens out there who know what they are getting into, and its up to their parents to decide if they should be able to do anything underage. Not the childs.
So what I am trying to say is I do disagree with underaged smoking, just if the parents ok it and support it; there isn't really anything I can do, they have their reasons.

/root
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook