Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu
   

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Smoke color

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Lablabla's Avatar
Lablabla
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Israel
Posts: 122
Send a message via MSN to Lablabla
Default Smoke color

Hi,
I noticed that sometimes when i smoke, the smoke is damn white, but sometimes it's gray.
what affects the smoke color?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:42 AM
himenow's Avatar
himenow
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Israel
Posts: 241
Send a message via ICQ to himenow Send a message via AIM to himenow Send a message via MSN to himenow Send a message via Skype™ to himenow
Default Re: Smoke color

I think it's how cool the smoke is and how clean your water is. Try boiling some water then freezing it, I do that sometimes (using my tea kettle) and the smoke comes out brilliantly white
Well, not freezing completely, but after you boil the water, let it cool then put it in the freezer for an hour or two (put it in a bottle, the same amount of water you usually use in your vase)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM
glostersa's Avatar
glostersa
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Africa Kempton Park
Posts: 5,088
Default Re: Smoke color

The amount of Glycerin in the Tobacco
__________________
***Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says Oh shit he is awake***
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:36 PM
-jordan-
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Smoke color

^Glycerin.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM
tapatio10floz's Avatar
tapatio10floz
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Mateo California
Posts: 212
Default Re: Smoke color

I've never really paid attention to the smoke color but next time I smoke I will pay attention
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM
gnuworldorder
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 566
Default Re: Smoke color

man im disappointed that wheni opened it up it wasnt how to get colored smoke. thats always one of my favorite threads
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:42 PM
BuzzHookah's Avatar
BuzzHookah
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT, Good ol USA
Posts: 700
Default Re: Smoke color

the amount of glcerin. id love to be able to change smoke colors!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
ariberns's Avatar
ariberns
Status: Offline
Hookah Master

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: nyc
Posts: 5,971
Default Re: Smoke color

heh, it is possible to change the color of smoke, however the chemicals involved in doing it, wouldn't make the smoke smokable(magnesium specifically). this is actually basic chemistry. cigarette companies have attempted a design without much success as well. I just read a published MBA thesis in which the student proposed a cigarette mount that changed the smoke color, and had profit charts and what not, however no such invention exists and he has yet to prove his hypothesis. (he still successfully defended his thesis and probably contributed to our current economic downfall as most MBA's have)
__________________
Hookah Pro Legitimate hookah without the bias.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:18 PM
gnuworldorder
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 566
Default Re: Smoke color

well in order to change the color youd need dangerous chemicals mostly thus i think its funny when people ask if its possible
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
ryon's Avatar
ryon
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 345
Default Re: Smoke color

The glycerin as previous people have said

It would be awesome to change the color of the smoke, but never waking up again not for me.
I thought about putting food dye in my mouth til I relized that was taste god awful lol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Hayter's Avatar
Hayter
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 2,248
Default Re: Smoke color

So what about colored glycerin? lol
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:33 PM
faeriekitsune's Avatar
faeriekitsune
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 608
Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune
Default Re: Smoke color

As for the original question, I always thought that the color of the smoke had to do with a combination of factors including amount of glycerin, background color, lighting, smoke density, movement speed, and smoke temperature. Just from personal experience I've noticed that all these things affect what color the smoke seems, such as if you're in a dark room with dark walls, the smoke seems gray while if you're in a brighter room with light walls, the smoke seems whiter.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM
flippy's Avatar
flippy
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,083
Default Re: Smoke color

I was hoping for colored smoke as well, but I notice if I use bottled water If I am lazy my clouds are definitely whiter.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Lablabla's Avatar
Lablabla
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Israel
Posts: 122
Send a message via MSN to Lablabla
Default Re: Smoke color

thanks.

so basically it's the shisha
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:44 PM
kalutika's Avatar
kalutika
Status: Offline
Mad Alchemist

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,072
Default Re: Smoke color

It has little to do with anything other than ambient light and colors.

If you are talking about a gray color it's just that. The change can be as simple as the angle you are looking at the smoke from. An actual storm cloud looks gray because it's blocking out the sunlight but the truth is they are pure white. That can be seen on the tops where the sun is still hitting them.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM
MC_Gatty's Avatar
MC_Gatty
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 326
Default Re: Smoke color

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
(he still successfully defended his thesis and probably contributed to our current economic downfall as most MBA's have)
+1
hahaha
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Scarcity's Avatar
Scarcity
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,568
Default Re: Smoke color

Different sugars will probably change the smoke color. Glycerin will probably give white clouds, while molasses will likely be more gray. I say likely and probably because I am not sure which ones do which. No clue on honey either.
@the topic of changing smoke colors: My initial thought of this would be adding food coloring to the tobacco. I do not know if this is dangerous or not though :X. As to the post about magnesium; that is crazy incorrect, if you've ever burnt magnesium then you'd know it burns white and so bright it can damage your eyes. Although if you'd like to know some colors of elements burning off the top of my head theres
Lithium is usually red, calcium orange, sodium yellow, copper blue, and forget green. Note that these are personal results with methane as the fuel for the flame.
I do not recommend consuming any of those elements, especially by inhaling.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:18 PM
kalutika's Avatar
kalutika
Status: Offline
Mad Alchemist

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,072
Default Re: Smoke color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarcity View Post
Different sugars will probably change the smoke color. Glycerin will probably give white clouds, while molasses will likely be more gray. I say likely and probably because I am not sure which ones do which. No clue on honey either.
@the topic of changing smoke colors: My initial thought of this would be adding food coloring to the tobacco. I do not know if this is dangerous or not though :X. As to the post about magnesium; that is crazy incorrect, if you've ever burnt magnesium then you'd know it burns white and so bright it can damage your eyes. Although if you'd like to know some colors of elements burning off the top of my head theres
Lithium is usually red, calcium orange, sodium yellow, copper blue, and forget green. Note that these are personal results with methane as the fuel for the flame.
I do not recommend consuming any of those elements, especially by inhaling.
The food coloring has been tested and proven to not change anything regarding color. There is no safe way to make smoke any color other than white. Tobacco already has a color that would transfer to the smoke if possible and there are many modern brands that are heavily colored with no effect.

Smoke by nature is mostly water vapor and water vapor is white because of the way it interacts with light. Changing the kind of sugar won't change anything because it's still vaporized water.

You are correct. The only way to change the color of smoke is with toxic substances. If there is a different color that means that there is a high concentration of some substance other than water vapor.

Last edited by kalutika; March 4th, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Scarcity's Avatar
Scarcity
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,568
Default Re: Smoke color

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
The food coloring has been tested and proven to not change anything regarding color. There is no safe way to make smoke any color other than white. Tobacco already has a color that would transfer to the smoke if possible and there are many modern brands that are heavily colored with no effect.

Smoke by nature is mostly water vapor and water vapor is white because of the way it interacts with light. Changing the kind of sugar won't change anything because it's still vaporized water.

You are correct. The only way to change the color of smoke is with toxic substances. If there is a different color that means that there is a high concentration of some substance other than water vapor.
Ah right, AF smoke isn't red =/
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:36 PM
HuMMuS's Avatar
HuMMuS
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chi-City, IL
Posts: 368
Send a message via AIM to HuMMuS
Default Re: Smoke color

photoshop... thats how i change the color in my avatar :P
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM
MAD_HATTER's Avatar
MAD_HATTER
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal- Long Beach
Posts: 5,342
Default Re: Smoke color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarcity View Post
Ah right, AF smoke isn't red =/
that would be WAY COOL lol
__________________
With those happy thoughts, in my head, I'm feeling like I'm peter pan... Minus the tights and the fairies....
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Memories's Avatar
Memories
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: America
Posts: 379
Default Re: Smoke color

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippy View Post
I was hoping for colored smoke as well, but I notice if I use bottled water If I am lazy my clouds are definitely whiter.
i would imagine that better quality water, ie not tap water, would make a difference. There isn't huge amounts, but there is always things that don't get filtered all the way when using tap water. For example, i have a friend who has the worst tap water because it gets sulfur in it because of local contaminates, and the water literally tastes like rotten eggs. Unknowingly i started drinking it once.. terrible.
I think that boiling water and freezing it is a bit time consuming though.. but i go through 24 packs of water bottles every couple days, so i imagine that water would probably work better and i doubt i would notice the deficit of a few bottles.
I have heard alot of people say on these forums that glcyerin is a major contributor to the amount of smoke, so i don't see why it wouldn't also make a difference in slight smoke color variations.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:54 PM
IraqiStallion
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
Default Re: Smoke color

yea cool but, purple smoke = purple lungs lol
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Mackmaven's Avatar
Mackmaven
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mar Vista, CA
Posts: 1,646
Default Re: Smoke color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories View Post
i would imagine that better quality water, ie not tap water, would make a difference. There isn't huge amounts, but there is always things that don't get filtered all the way when using tap water. For example, i have a friend who has the worst tap water because it gets sulfur in it because of local contaminates, and the water literally tastes like rotten eggs. Unknowingly i started drinking it once.. terrible.
I think that boiling water and freezing it is a bit time consuming though.. but i go through 24 packs of water bottles every couple days, so i imagine that water would probably work better and i doubt i would notice the deficit of a few bottles.
I have heard alot of people say on these forums that glcyerin is a major contributor to the amount of smoke, so i don't see why it wouldn't also make a difference in slight smoke color variations.
He should call the dept of water and power... tap water is so crazy regulated it's supposed to be, and generally is, some of the cleanest water around. Bottled water on the other hand has almost no purity regulations.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Rob416's Avatar
Rob416
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York Long Island
Posts: 2,084
Send a message via AIM to Rob416
Default Re: Smoke color

Sam I Am Offered me some Green Shisha and said it smokes Green.. i told him i would only smoke it with a Fox in a Box
Reply With Quote
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New nammor color on HS shishaholiC Hookah Discussion 25 March 19th, 2008 01:52 PM
Color - What do you prefer? sammniamii Hookah Discussion 9 June 19th, 2007 11:07 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.

Skin Design By vBSkinworks



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Hookah Pro Inc.