Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Smoke color

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Lablabla
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Lablabla
Default Smoke color

Hi,
I noticed that sometimes when i smoke, the smoke is damn white, but sometimes it's gray.
what affects the smoke color?
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:42 AM
himenow
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to himenow Send a message via AIM to himenow Send a message via MSN to himenow Send a message via Skype™ to himenow
Default Re: Smoke color

I think it's how cool the smoke is and how clean your water is. Try boiling some water then freezing it, I do that sometimes (using my tea kettle) and the smoke comes out brilliantly white
Well, not freezing completely, but after you boil the water, let it cool then put it in the freezer for an hour or two (put it in a bottle, the same amount of water you usually use in your vase)
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

The amount of Glycerin in the Tobacco
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:36 PM
-jordan-

^Glycerin.
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM
tapatio10floz
Hookah Nut

I've never really paid attention to the smoke color but next time I smoke I will pay attention
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

man im disappointed that wheni opened it up it wasnt how to get colored smoke. thats always one of my favorite threads
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:42 PM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

the amount of glcerin. id love to be able to change smoke colors!
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

heh, it is possible to change the color of smoke, however the chemicals involved in doing it, wouldn't make the smoke smokable(magnesium specifically). this is actually basic chemistry. cigarette companies have attempted a design without much success as well. I just read a published MBA thesis in which the student proposed a cigarette mount that changed the smoke color, and had profit charts and what not, however no such invention exists and he has yet to prove his hypothesis. (he still successfully defended his thesis and probably contributed to our current economic downfall as most MBA's have)
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:18 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

well in order to change the color youd need dangerous chemicals mostly thus i think its funny when people ask if its possible
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
ryon
Hookah Nut

The glycerin as previous people have said

It would be awesome to change the color of the smoke, but never waking up again not for me.
I thought about putting food dye in my mouth til I relized that was taste god awful lol
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

So what about colored glycerin? lol
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:33 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

As for the original question, I always thought that the color of the smoke had to do with a combination of factors including amount of glycerin, background color, lighting, smoke density, movement speed, and smoke temperature. Just from personal experience I've noticed that all these things affect what color the smoke seems, such as if you're in a dark room with dark walls, the smoke seems gray while if you're in a brighter room with light walls, the smoke seems whiter.
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

I was hoping for colored smoke as well, but I notice if I use bottled water If I am lazy my clouds are definitely whiter.
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Lablabla
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Lablabla

thanks.

so basically it's the shisha
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:44 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

It has little to do with anything other than ambient light and colors.

If you are talking about a gray color it's just that. The change can be as simple as the angle you are looking at the smoke from. An actual storm cloud looks gray because it's blocking out the sunlight but the truth is they are pure white. That can be seen on the tops where the sun is still hitting them.
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM
MC_Gatty
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
(he still successfully defended his thesis and probably contributed to our current economic downfall as most MBA's have)
+1
hahaha
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Different sugars will probably change the smoke color. Glycerin will probably give white clouds, while molasses will likely be more gray. I say likely and probably because I am not sure which ones do which. No clue on honey either.
@the topic of changing smoke colors: My initial thought of this would be adding food coloring to the tobacco. I do not know if this is dangerous or not though :X. As to the post about magnesium; that is crazy incorrect, if you've ever burnt magnesium then you'd know it burns white and so bright it can damage your eyes. Although if you'd like to know some colors of elements burning off the top of my head theres
Lithium is usually red, calcium orange, sodium yellow, copper blue, and forget green. Note that these are personal results with methane as the fuel for the flame.
I do not recommend consuming any of those elements, especially by inhaling.
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:18 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarcity View Post
Different sugars will probably change the smoke color. Glycerin will probably give white clouds, while molasses will likely be more gray. I say likely and probably because I am not sure which ones do which. No clue on honey either.
@the topic of changing smoke colors: My initial thought of this would be adding food coloring to the tobacco. I do not know if this is dangerous or not though :X. As to the post about magnesium; that is crazy incorrect, if you've ever burnt magnesium then you'd know it burns white and so bright it can damage your eyes. Although if you'd like to know some colors of elements burning off the top of my head theres
Lithium is usually red, calcium orange, sodium yellow, copper blue, and forget green. Note that these are personal results with methane as the fuel for the flame.
I do not recommend consuming any of those elements, especially by inhaling.
The food coloring has been tested and proven to not change anything regarding color. There is no safe way to make smoke any color other than white. Tobacco already has a color that would transfer to the smoke if possible and there are many modern brands that are heavily colored with no effect.

Smoke by nature is mostly water vapor and water vapor is white because of the way it interacts with light. Changing the kind of sugar won't change anything because it's still vaporized water.

You are correct. The only way to change the color of smoke is with toxic substances. If there is a different color that means that there is a high concentration of some substance other than water vapor.

Last edited by kalutika; March 4th, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
The food coloring has been tested and proven to not change anything regarding color. There is no safe way to make smoke any color other than white. Tobacco already has a color that would transfer to the smoke if possible and there are many modern brands that are heavily colored with no effect.

Smoke by nature is mostly water vapor and water vapor is white because of the way it interacts with light. Changing the kind of sugar won't change anything because it's still vaporized water.

You are correct. The only way to change the color of smoke is with toxic substances. If there is a different color that means that there is a high concentration of some substance other than water vapor.
Ah right, AF smoke isn't red =/
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:36 PM
HuMMuS
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to HuMMuS

photoshop... thats how i change the color in my avatar :P
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarcity View Post
Ah right, AF smoke isn't red =/
that would be WAY COOL lol
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippy View Post
I was hoping for colored smoke as well, but I notice if I use bottled water If I am lazy my clouds are definitely whiter.
i would imagine that better quality water, ie not tap water, would make a difference. There isn't huge amounts, but there is always things that don't get filtered all the way when using tap water. For example, i have a friend who has the worst tap water because it gets sulfur in it because of local contaminates, and the water literally tastes like rotten eggs. Unknowingly i started drinking it once.. terrible.
I think that boiling water and freezing it is a bit time consuming though.. but i go through 24 packs of water bottles every couple days, so i imagine that water would probably work better and i doubt i would notice the deficit of a few bottles.
I have heard alot of people say on these forums that glcyerin is a major contributor to the amount of smoke, so i don't see why it wouldn't also make a difference in slight smoke color variations.
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:54 PM
IraqiStallion
Hookah Newbie

yea cool but, purple smoke = purple lungs lol
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories View Post
i would imagine that better quality water, ie not tap water, would make a difference. There isn't huge amounts, but there is always things that don't get filtered all the way when using tap water. For example, i have a friend who has the worst tap water because it gets sulfur in it because of local contaminates, and the water literally tastes like rotten eggs. Unknowingly i started drinking it once.. terrible.
I think that boiling water and freezing it is a bit time consuming though.. but i go through 24 packs of water bottles every couple days, so i imagine that water would probably work better and i doubt i would notice the deficit of a few bottles.
I have heard alot of people say on these forums that glcyerin is a major contributor to the amount of smoke, so i don't see why it wouldn't also make a difference in slight smoke color variations.
He should call the dept of water and power... tap water is so crazy regulated it's supposed to be, and generally is, some of the cleanest water around. Bottled water on the other hand has almost no purity regulations.
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

Sam I Am Offered me some Green Shisha and said it smokes Green.. i told him i would only smoke it with a Fox in a Box
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook