Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

amount of coals?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM
mikemindt3492
Hookah Newbie

Default amount of coals?

so i bought my first hookah the other day (an unknwon brand two hose, probably chinese made) for 60$ with some jewels mixed fruit and a roll of 33m 3 kings quick lites.

now after realizing that jewels is about as good as ripped up paper towels, i went out and picked up 50g's of fantasia purple haze, and 50g's of raspberry lemonade.

me and a friend went outside and i packed the bowl (only my 3rd time) fairly light and didnt pack hard, didnt poke super big holes or anything, the base had crushed ice and water (stem was about 3/4 inch into the water) yet even with a fairly light draw and allright flavor i didnt seem to be getting large clouds or very thick clouds? any tips to help thicken them up or make them larger? upgrades that are necessary are appreciated, i think a vortex bowl or a hose will be next. i also need to know how many of those coals to use, i only used one since i thought they looked kind of large. i also picked up one kilo box of exoticas and wondered about how many of those to use? i have heard 2 but i wanted to double check with the pro's

thanks in advance guys and gals, happy smokin'
mike
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:25 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

Default Re: amount of coals?

3 Kings I always used 2. Let the coals sit for about 10 mins before you start hitting it. Rotate them every few minutes around the bowl on opposite sides. Also try making a wind cover out of tinfoil, will help you manage the heat better.

When yo get a vortex, I tend to use 3 natural coals to start it, then take one off after the bowl is heated up.
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM
mikemindt3492
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMALIKIA View Post
3 Kings I always used 2. Let the coals sit for about 10 mins before you start hitting it. Rotate them every few minutes around the bowl on opposite sides. Also try making a wind cover out of tinfoil, will help you manage the heat better.

When yo get a vortex, I tend to use 3 natural coals to start it, then take one off after the bowl is heated up.
use 2 quick lite 3 kings? they are 33 milimeters i think and heres the link

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-1254-...m-hookah-.html

and my silver roll isnt the same as that one? is this common? and ok thanks for the tips on the coals =]
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:00 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemindt3492 View Post
use 2 quick lite 3 kings? they are 33 milimeters i think and heres the link

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-1254-...m-hookah-.html

and my silver roll isnt the same as that one? is this common? and ok thanks for the tips on the coals =]
Unless your bowl is super small, 2 should be decent. Just make sure you put them on the outer edges and rotate them so they do not burn the shisha. If it starts hitting hard move them and take one off. You may want to try 1 coal and a wind cover to get the same effect. All about heat management brother.
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:11 PM
mikemindt3492
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMALIKIA View Post
Unless your bowl is super small, 2 should be decent. Just make sure you put them on the outer edges and rotate them so they do not burn the shisha. If it starts hitting hard move them and take one off. You may want to try 1 coal and a wind cover to get the same effect. All about heat management brother.

gotcha, i have been using one and moving it around the edge every say 15 mins? and it has gotten a fair amount of smoke. i'll def try 2 the next time i smoke. and hopefully it'll increase the thickness and flavor of the smoke without getting any harshness
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:17 PM
manjaco
Hookah Aficionado

When i have to use these coals i cut two of them in half and use 3 halves on my egyptian bowl.