Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Newish hookah user can't get smoke down :( please help.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 7th, 2010, 07:47 PM
darkeclipse66
Hookah Newbie

Default Newish hookah user can't get smoke down :( please help.

Hey everyone after searching over youtube and the web trying trying to learn the ways of hookahing I just can't seem to get it down and thought i would start on the forums so any help at all would be so great!

I bought my first hookah a couple months back from a smoke shop in town that my step sister bought from. I decided to go big and grab a large hookah they had a small selection but i didnt think much about it and got a 26' hookah. It has a red base that is circle and building up in a triangle. I havent seen these bases online so im skeptical about them. I bought the shisha the store had which was Al-Waha which after research i believe is not the greatest of brands. The taste was allright but i didnt know much about hookahs. Its has 3 hose ports and came with 3 really basic rubber and metal tip hoses. The stem screws on to the base which i hears was great for sealing smoke and the hose ports are ball bearing so if you arent smoking from one no smoke can escape. These things made me happy and think that it was a great deal. The bowl comes in two parts the small starting part with a tiny bowl but comes with a circular ring that just kinda fits on top and makes the bowl bigger, i havent seen any bowls like this as well and wasnt sure about it. It came with a screen and ive switched back in forth between screens and aluminum foil and saw no real noticeable difference in smoke. I use basic quick light golden coals and usually use two. ive done 3 once or twice but believe that is too much heat and heard to stick with 1-2. Ive read and watched countless videos on how to set up hookahs tips tricks etc. I know to pack the shisha light, don't let it overflow over the bowl, rotate the boals. keep the stem submerged in the base 1-2 inches in the water. ive tried ice. Nothing i seem to do makes good smoke. The result i get for smoke is very very little and not thick or pure white at all. No matter how long the hit is the amount is so small and im not sure why it upsets my greatly Ive checked i have no leaks everything is sealed nice and tight i have my two gromets on tight and correctly. I thought it was crappy shisha because people said that was the main component for smoke amount and thickness. I recently bought some Romman shisha from a different smoke shop knowing it was alot higher quality and it made absolutly no difference. Taste was alot better but smoke level still bad. I dont know if its my weird bowl or what at this point i think i want to sell my hookah and start over fresh. So any input would be so appreciated, anything i can do to change my smoke levels now? If not please what type of hookahs have great smoke levels, along with shisha bowls anything,

Thanks guys i know this post is long but please take the time ill come back and check if you ask questions.
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:13 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Default Re: Newish hookah user can't get smoke down :( please help.

Little to no cloudage usually means there isn't enough heat. Try starting your bowl with 3 coals on, then once it's nice and hot drop one of the coals and use a windcover when needed (if the clouds are not big, throw the windcover on, if you feel the smoke is getting harsh, take the windcover off). If you don't have a windcover you can make a temp one out of aluminum foil, Sambooka has a how to vid.

Also test for leaks.

Welcome to HP!
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:12 PM
A Penguin489
Hookah Newbie

I would try adding more heat (coals) also maybe trying some natural coals (but thats just me and my pref) as stated above a windcover can help contain heat
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:14 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

al waha is not a good bran if you're going for huge smoke.

try something different. check to see if they have al fakher or starbuzz.
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM
darkeclipse66
Hookah Newbie

thanks alot guys! just those few comments seem to make sense there was a time when i got some pretty good smoke and it was in my gf's tiny room where it was quite hot and im sure that just cooked it nice and good. Everytime i smoke it its a cold room or windows are open, i also didnt know wind covers helped with heat i thought they were just for smoking outside, but as far as my hookah goes do you think upgrading would be worth it at all? my base look 99% like this except for the lip around the top

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...lic_Base_L.jpg

I couldnt find a picture of my bowl but as far as upgrading. Ive heard alot of good things about KM's the smoke they draw and how effortless and sexy those hoses are. Another smoke shop near by had a a few that looked just like this

http://saharasmoke.com/store/catalog...h-p-17508.html

I thought they looked super sexy as well and thought it would be a nice upgrade. Any noticable smoke differences with a vase like that compared to a KM?? Also what about bowls, the regular modern ones, funnel, vortex?? Any more feedback would be great guys thankyou much
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:16 PM
A Penguin489
Hookah Newbie

I have been using a sahara hookah (until mine comes in) and i have not had any problems with it, i def like the cortex bowl but i dont think you should have to "upgrade" right away, i would try the trouble shooting that has been posted, and then perhaps try a new bowl first, thanks hope i could help
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Bigglesworth
Hookah Newbie

try to use the same ammount of coals but instead try to use two layers of foil on the bowl. I had a simmilar problem and this solved it
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:58 PM
darkeclipse66
Hookah Newbie

so i made my nice ghetto aluminum foil windcover tonight and tried that it helped alot. and the smoke was about twice as thick and before but still lacks alot of thinkness and amount as to what ive seen. I used two golden quick light coals again with two layers of foil around the bowl and it was great at the start the smoke got harsh after about 10 mins though so i purge some smoke out and took off the cover which made the smoke nice and clean and less harsh although my smoke levels faded quickly and i went on and off with the windcover a couple times but it only last 20-25 mins max before it was just not really fun or worth it anymore. Still guys any feedback i would love the help has been nothing but great.

any words of better hookahs would be good too. Still got my eyes on a KM or one of the sexy bases from Saharasmoke
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:38 AM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

I used to have that problem when I first started using the mya arcylic with its standard bowl. What I did is use Starlight quicklights "just one on that small bowl", used al fakher and puffed out and separated the molasses a bit before putting it in the bowl, then i sprinkle it in the bowl to where it gets pretty close to the top but not nearly there, poking a lot of holes and nicely separated around the surface of the foil, and voila. Perfect session every time.

Edit: I also made sure that the quick light coal i use is glowing red before using it.
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

All of this information is great but it honestly does just take practice.
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:22 AM
HiToKiRi
Hookah Nut

There is no point in spending money on a more expensive rig like a KM or something similar if you can't get a decent smoke out of your current hookah. There could be a dozen reasons why you're not getting decent smoke.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you're relatively new to hookah so you need to get the basics down first. I suggest you watch Sambooka's video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_BCJ1xOQTE&feature=fvsr

After that it takes practice.

Last edited by HiToKiRi; March 8th, 2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Does it taste alright? The whole point of smoking hookah is for the taste, if it tastes good who cares about the amount of smoke. You will see in my next video, I will be smoking DM out of a brand new KM and theres very little smoke, the taste though is fabulous!!!! If its big billowing clouds of smoke you want, then buy some overpriced shisha drenched in glycerin and add a ton of coals to it and you will get huge white clouds.........it will taste like shit, but if you want clouds thats how to do it.
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:02 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

+1 Husky Clouds belong in the sky it is about flavor
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:52 AM
thomas_j_smith
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thomas_j_smith Send a message via Yahoo to thomas_j_smith

Hey Husky, great advice! I'm new to DM this week, but I've must have got a really fresh batch because I got decent clouds, not that I care for them, since I wanted to try DM for the tobacco taste and not the clouds. Good luck with your venture to do all them flavors!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook