Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Sahara Stems

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 7th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

Default Sahara Stems

So i have been wanting to try some HH flavors, as well as HF so i decided to go to their site.
Long story short i stumbled over the custom hookah section, which is something i looked at a long time ago but forgot about. I really like this one:
http://www.hookahhookah.com/hookahho...f=16142&slot=1
I have been wanting to buy a 3/4 hose hookah for big get togethers, which happen especially when my high school buddies come back from college over the weekend or on breaks. I really want a gold stem hookah, with 3-4 hose ports which this one has the option of. Thing is, because i have never owned a sahara stem, i have a few questions. Does it still have a purge if you have the 4 hose version? On my Myas i have to give up the purge for another port. The other thing is, is it autoseal? These are not deal breakers by any means, i just can't tell from the site/pictures.
Thanks in advance.. Memories
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:34 PM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Sahara Stems

not sure on he purge, but you will regret getting the sahara stem, the rust up quicker then the titanic
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:35 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

General consensus is they suck, horribly. Some people have no problem with them, but most people say they are terrible.
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzHookah View Post
not sure on he purge, but you will regret getting the sahara stem, the rust up quicker then the titanic
really? even properly maintained? I can understand maybe you know.. not having my friend buy one, cause the hookah i bought with him, he always leaves it sitting with the water still in and the bowl still on all the time.. kind of irritating. But they rust really bad?
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:46 PM
alanpeterson68
Hookah Aficionado

Most people here on the forum will bash you for wanting to get a Sahara Stem. I'v read nothing but bad reviews on them, even if they were maintained properly. And a 3-4 hose hookah is also a turnoff. I recommend just sticking to 1 hose hookahs but It sounds like you have your mind set on a multiple house hookah. Maybe you should get 2 2-house hookahs?! Look at getting a nice multiple hose Km or Mz or Af.

This is just my thought
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:51 PM
alanpeterson68
Hookah Aficionado

Skip the HH and HF tobacco stick to AF/SB/Nak
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:20 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanpeterson68 View Post
Skip the HH and HF tobacco stick to AF/SB/Nak
Different people, different tastes. I can understand the comment above if the whole line of their tobacco was shit, but there are flavors worth trying. Just as with any brand (yes even af, nakhla and especially sb) there are good and bad flavors.
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:35 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

If you haven't tried seven spice yet, you don't know what you're missing!
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:47 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanpeterson68 View Post
Skip the HH and HF tobacco stick to AF/tangiers
fixed it for you but ya i know a guy that got a 2 hose saharasmoke hookah and in 4 months it was totally rusted out and the down stem actually snapped off
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:16 PM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

Yeah, for the use you are talking about, maybe look into a multi hose Mya. And with most multihose setups, there will be no purge. But if they are not autoseal, you could theoretically blow into one hose and be purging out the other.
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:46 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

I have to argue with one point others are making, and agree with another.

HH and HF are not that crappy. They are good shishas on many flavors with the occasional bad flavor just like every other brand. It comes down to personal preference. I, for one, like HH and HF.

Sahara Smoke hookahs on the other hand are known for stem problems. My Sahara Smoke is retired after only a year of service because something in the alloy covering or something like that is causing a white corrosion that makes using it nasty. There's no rust, but the covering is peeling off, and there is white corrosion dust/crystals all over the inside of the hookah. Because of the white crap, I consider it unusable.
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:51 PM
A Penguin489
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriekitsune View Post

HH and HF are not that crappy. They are good shishas on many flavors with the occasional bad flavor just like every other brand. It comes down to personal preference. I, for one, like HH and HF.

Sahara Smoke hookahs on the other hand are known for stem problems. My Sahara Smoke is retired after only a year of service because something in the alloy covering or something like that is causing a white corrosion that makes using it nasty. There's no rust, but the covering is peeling off, and there is white corrosion dust/crystals all over the inside of the hookah. Because of the white crap, I consider it unusable.
just wondering if by unusable you mean it hinders the taste, or is just unpleasing to look at?
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:17 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriekitsune View Post

Thanks Faeriekitsune,
I think that HH and HF get a bad wrap, especially on this forum. HH is a consistent tobacco which is a hell of a lot more than I can say about AF and HH has had some interesting flavors so I would most certainly not write off the whole brand. It is a bit more temperamental than tobaccos like AF and SB because it isn't covered in a glycerin based sludge. It still is a modern brand and has its fair share of juice but when mixed properly it doesn't even come close to the consistency of AF. It won't last for a marathon session but its well worth a try. I hope you enjoy your tobacco if you decide to order it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Penguin489 View Post
just wondering if by unusable you mean it hinders the taste, or is just unpleasing to look at?
In general its a bad idea to smoke out of a rusted rig for potential health risks. Many people have also started threads about a "funny" taste which often leads to them finding out there is rust in their stem. It can affect the taste but it also a potential health risk compared to a clean functioning stem. I personally think a rusted hose is a greater health hazard than a stem, but either is still not ideal so it is best to avoid the whole situation all together. Sahara Smoke makes some good options as far as glass though so these are still a good option if you're looking for something different.

Lastly I would recommend against a multi-hosed rig simple because they're more hassle than they're worth and invite a host of problems with draw, tangling, and tipping. If you must get a multi-hosed rig I would recommend getting a stem that has a traditional chamber so you can still have the ability to purge and a good draw with the minimum of problems that these rigs create. Although if you do decide on one of these rigs be aware that without the "auto-seal" feature you will have to plug the end of the hose while not in use.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:34 PM
jDizzy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to jDizzy

I've got a medium SS stem right now. It's not very good at all. I mean it smokes decent, but it's already getting that white shit on it, doesn't have a wide gauge down stem, and doesn't purge well. Once my new debit card comes(God, I hope it does tomorrow.), then I will be the proud owner of a KM.
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:38 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

I haven't heard much about Sahara stems, but their bases are very cool.
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:48 PM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

I think you would be much better off with a Mya with hose adapters. I have heard nothing but horrible things about the Sahara smoke stems. Even if the picture looks so good, the product it self is light, pure crap, and rusts in no time at all. You will basically be throwing your money away.
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:25 AM
davidbondok
Hookah Nut

Sahara Stems = Bad Quality
Sahara Vase/Base = Great Quality
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:02 AM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

My first hookah was a sahara nemesis, paid a 100 for it. when i buy something i do alllll the research i can. Tv generally take me 2-3 months to decide on so when i say i took care of this thing trust me that i did. NO matter what i did use after use the rust would build up, when i saw i could get a stainless KM for less the the sahara i was kicking myself. Saving money and getting a better product has to sound appealing no?
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
-jordan-

Yeah, even when properly maintained and dried off after a session, from what I've heard that rust out after a mere few weeks.. Don't waste your money on one.
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:27 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Sahara Smoke has been saying that they're going to re-do their stems. Shoot them an e-mail and ask them if they've changed their stems or anything....
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSebsch View Post
Sahara Smoke has been saying that they're going to re-do their stems. Shoot them an e-mail and ask them if they've changed their stems or anything....
They said that before, but we're still hearing complaints. I wanna know if their construction of the Nar stems is any different, because if it is, I'd pay up for one of those.

Off topic: I'm also curious when people bought their Saharas that have issues. I think there were two different batches of screw ups. I've heard of rusting out, and white corrosion and have noticed that they seem to be of different ages.
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:42 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

That's what I'm saying, maybe they're still older when the members here bought them.
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I don't get why you would pay for an overpriced low quality stem when the same $$ can either buy or go towards buying a Temsah, maybe a KM.
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM
iMaD
Hookah Pro

Do what I just did a couple days ago. Order one of thier 3-hose "Clearance" stems . Its really cheap, like 10 bucks. Its a traditional stem, kind of light (not solid as the authentic ones) but it works ok. Just don't forget to order a couple of rubber plugs just in case you only have one or two people smoking. These are traditional stems and they have a seperate purge valve. As far as rusting, are you guys talking about the Sahara stems which look pretty much like the Mya (modern)? The reason I'm asking because I bought a traditional (egyptian) hookah from sahara about 3 years ago and it still looks good and works great. No rust or white stuff like the others mentioned.
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Thecheezanator
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Thecheezanator Send a message via MSN to Thecheezanator Send a message via Yahoo to Thecheezanator

I've had mine since November. It's starting to rust... :[
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook