Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

a THOUGHT ON certain local lounges....please share..

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 8th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser
Default a THOUGHT ON certain local lounges....please share..

So....

A new "Hookah Lounge" has opened in my town.

I figured "ok, a college town a new lounge w/e" but I went to check it out anyway today.

Honestly, If ALL young people ran their businesses like this one, I'd shoot myself for not opening a lounge and taking all their money.

I walked in with my brother (yes, we looked like ATF but still) I walked to the counter where some anorexic girl stood their with a menu, asking me what I wanted. I responded "I am just checking the place out, it's new right?" She said "yes."

When she found out I was not purchasing one of their VERY EXPENSIVE (20.00 for starbuzz) Hookah sessions, she seemed indifferent and ignored me. Another male employee (mid 20's) walked by me and said in a very college age way "SUP BRO?" I responded "not much" and proceeded to ask "what kinds of tobacco do you serve here?" He said just Starbuzz and some Layalina" and continued on his own ventures w/e those were.

I asked if they had a business card and got a no answer but was offered a "menu" of hookah flavours and "food" which consisted of ALOT of items that no one that worked their seemed capable of making, thus THEY WERE PROBABLY FROZEN/CANNED/FRIED.

As I watched these seemingly uneducated "children" run this place, and listened to music that im sure none of them could speak the native language of, I left in disgust.

I know that hookah lounges are GREAT business opportunities BUT I was very disappointed by this one and was almost disturbed.

Never agiain will I go back.

How many of you have felt the lurch in your stomachs from the way your local lounges are run?
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:47 AM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

Default Re: a THOUGHT ON certain local lounges....please share..

Been there my self lol. I used to live in Denton,TX and I used to go to this place called Nathalie's hookah lounge right after school to get some smoke. The guy that I ordered my hookah from was as clueless as a tree branch. He was a typical douche, didn't know what I was talking about half the time, the hookah he setup tasted like feet. So at that point I talked with Emad "the owner" he was really cool about it and he setup a hookah for both me and himself and smoked together. I have been to A LOT of hookah lounges in my day so I know what to expect when I walk into a hookah lounge. Hopefully those people you dealt with will get the idea of how a lounge should operate otherwise they will fail miserably.
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssamHelmy View Post
Been there my self lol. I used to live in Denton,TX and I used to go to this place called Nathalie's hookah lounge right after school to get some smoke. The guy that I ordered my hookah from was as clueless as a tree branch. He was a typical douche, didn't know what I was talking about half the time, the hookah he setup tasted like feet. So at that point I talked with Emad "the owner" he was really cool about it and he setup a hookah for both me and himself and smoked together. I have been to A LOT of hookah lounges in my day so I know what to expect when I walk into a hookah lounge. Hopefully those people you dealt with will get the idea of how a lounge should operate otherwise they will fail miserably.
I totally agree. Customer service is a lost art.

I have been to Natalie's and was equally disappointed. Shallow pillows on the ground (UNCOMFORTABLE) and shitty hookah sessions ruined it for me. $$$$$ is causing these entrepreneurs to lose focus I guess.

Last edited by Shienhausser; March 8th, 2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old March 8th, 2010, 01:06 AM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

I've only been to one lounge and after two visits I decided I could do it better on my own so I invested in a rig and haven't looked back. I really dislike the loud music, dim lighting scene that is so prolific among most college town hookah bars. I'd rather smoke on my porch with some light music and friends than shell out lots of money to go somewhere that I don't particularly care for.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old March 8th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

yes, I know for a fact I can make better hookah than most of the bars here but I was referring more to the fact that hookah is becoming a cash cow in the west and how displeasing that is.

Trust me I sopped going to most lounges a while ago (only go to one for the company).
Old March 8th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

I've been to each one here in town and I was HIGHLY unimpressed with two of them. One of them it was obvious the guy didn't care about ages. He didn't card and I remember a couple of times kids saying they couldn't believe they were there and they were only 15. That place has been hit by cops so much because of this from what I understand. The owner at least had a variety of brands and prices for a relatively decent price. But overall VERY unsatisfied.

The other is pure crap. If I have to I would say it is like the OP's experience. Walking in it even smelled bad. It was basically a standard bar but only with hookahs. Pool tables with burn marks all over, crappy chairs and just loud and obnoxious. Apparently there is another 20 minutes away, but I won't give it the light of day.

The other two I found to be more pleasant. One was more focused on a relaxed environment, comfy seating, calm arabic music playing and good prices. I have visited it a lot since it opened last year and I was impressed each time. The owner knows what he is doing and even knows how to take care of all the hobos that came in from time to time.

The last one though was by far the best in my book. It was more focused on a college student style. Modern seating, modern music, a theater room with a 106' projector and a dvd player and 360 hooked up. But I'll be damned if they don't know their stuff. They don't go by brands and prices. It's all set at a good price and they use only the best tobacco they can find. They use some layalina, SB, and even AF. Being college students themselves they know how to run the place and will be willing to help if necessary should you go in asking questions. My first and best hookah bar experience and I go there weekly.

So basically mostly crap but you have to sift through the crap to get to the gold right?
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

Finding a good hookah bar is a 50% chance.

Ive been to horrible ones and I been to awesome ones.

U just gotta keep searchin.
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

ehh not my cup of tee i rather sit in my own room in my boxers and a tee shirt and watch a movie peacefully and prepare my own hookah. i dont need other ppl doing it for me, and y drive to smoke.
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Blaat
Hookah Pro

There's also a new lounge in my local town.
It was a shop where you could eat and go on the internet downstairs and smoke hookah upstairs.

When we came a man walked to us and asked what we wanted to do. We said shisha, and we could walk upstairs.

They had a menu of like 20-30 flavours I think, I don't know what brand of tobacco, but I assume Nakhla and Al Waha since a shisha shop on the other side of the street sells cheam 250gr Nakhla and Al Waha.

We could get 'small', 'large' and 'extra large' hookah, for 5, 7.5 or 10 euros. We took the XL one, I assume the small/large is for the amount of tobacco you get, for 10 euro's, and we all had to buy a drink or so there for 2 euro's. We were with 4 people, so it was 18 euro's. We took watermelon flavour, it was cool, and it lasted for like 60-70 mins.

I liked the bar, but I rather sit at home and smoke shisha
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:10 AM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

I'm glad to say that Prince Hookah Lounge here by UK's campus has switched owners in the last couple of months and it turned out for the best.
With the old owner, an Arab family owned it and just hired a bunch of college kids to work there. They served sandwiches and stuff but the kind that you make at home after killing a 12 pack of beer.
They also had cheap Egyptian hookahs and cheap hoses. They also didn't give and tongs or even gave you a free coal 'refill'.
They had chairs and little tables, nothing comfortable like other hookah lounges and there was barely any decoration in it. It looked more like a McDonald's than anything else...

The new owner has it figured out though. A good mix between Western and Arab music is playing all the time, he has MYA hookahs with MYA hoses, gives you free coal refills, and the server actually knows how to set up a bowl. He sits in a chair all day and smokes hookah himself. He's probably in his mid 20s and is Arab himself, so he knows what he's doing.
They also sell SB, AF, Coconaras, Layalina, Fantasia, El Hennway, Nakhla, Golden Layalina, Havana and they sell hoses imported from the Middle East and also Funnels.
The guy knows his art so you can ask him about any of the items there and he can tell you about it.
Turned out for the best....
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob416 View Post
ehh not my cup of tee i rather sit in my own room in my boxers and a tee shirt and watch a movie peacefully and prepare my own hookah. i dont need other ppl doing it for me, and y drive to smoke.
+1 on that one!

Never been to a hookah lounge. I came here and saw a thread about someone buying a hookah from a lounge. The crap that came out has turned me away from them, not to mention the prices people charge. I mean $3-$5 is fair for a bowl, but $20 that is ridiculous. I do have a few close to me, maybe I will check them out just to post my experience.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:14 PM
-jordan-

Yep, there is nothing but these sleazy hookah cafes here in Tucson. Usually run in dumpy hole in the wall places on 4th ave (homeless city). It's some 20 bucks for two people, crappy chinese pipe, asian coals and starbuzz. Oh and like 2 dollars for a can of soda. It's a total rip off, but so many un-educated students throw there money down the hole there.. For the price of one sitting, and can buy a tin of starbuzz and a case of coals. And a 24 pack of soda..
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:24 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

im in north jersey and nyc. There are a ton of hookah bars/lounges/cafes. Some are very old school middle-eastern. There are also "trendy" bars and lounges.
The old school places are very reasonable and hookah is part of the culture not a way to simply rake-in wads of cash. The "trendy" places are 25% ok and 75% retarted. you find a good trendy place every once in a while.
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

I've been to a couple of decent ones, but no one there knows what they are talking about. I brought in my nammor to see if they had hose handles and the guy there claimed his MYA hose is much better and has a wider draw.
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:49 PM
MirelZ
Hookah Nut

lolllll damn guys i though i was the only one to see those stuff!!!

here in Canada, first of all it's almost impossible to open a lounge unless you owned one before the anti smoke law passed.

anyway there's 4 near my town, 30-40mins drive... the service SUCKKKKK baddly , i come in, nobody look at us, we go sit, nobody comes to us.... then one of us has to go see the guy and ask to see if we can order, he reply: yeah sit on your chair my friend ill be there soon my friend... 30 minutes later he come and we take our orders, 50minutes later (no joke sometime its even more) they bring the hookahs... finally !! its good but why not some tea or milkshake? so another 1hour to get that too ;...

people don't know shit or forget about service, its the most important thing in a business...
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM
kevin2323
Hookah Nut

the thing is since most of us are on this forum we know where to find the best and cheapest products.

you forget that a lounge has to pay bills. once you take that into account some of those rediculous prices you all rant about turns out to be reasonable.
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:39 PM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

The one in this area is pretty cool. It's in an old church with stained glass windows, they sell stuff as well for decent prices, and they have a nice selection of traditional drinks and such. Good service, good prices, and they offer Nakhla, Havana, and SB. Might actually get a job there.
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:14 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
the thing is since most of us are on this forum we know where to find the best and cheapest products.

you forget that a lounge has to pay bills. once you take that into account some of those rediculous prices you all rant about turns out to be reasonable.
Although I'm sure it does look like many people are complaining about price, most of us understand there is a difference between buying shisha for home use and paying for a session at a lounge.

BUT, there is also a difference between charging a fair price for a good session, and charging an outrageous price for a crappy session.

For example, there is a lounge near me that charges $12 a bowl (max) for up to 4 people on a hookah. There is another lounge that charges $16 a bowl (max) for up to 3 people on a hookah. Which lounge would you choose? Now what if I told you that the $12 lounge had broken and beat up furniture, irritating fluorescent lighting, crappy static-y speakers with somebody's personal iPod on repeat playing, served Ed Hardy shisha as their "premium" shisha, workers who probably don't know the difference between a hookah and a NHT item, and had hookahs that are so grimy I wouldn't touch them with a twenty foot pole? What if I told you that the $16 lounge had comfortable (although worn) furniture, custom lighting including a black light or two, floor lamps, and mood lighting, flat screen tvs set to the WMP type screensaver, a harddrive worth of various (yet appreciated) music, served Tangiers as their premium shisha, used Mya and quality Egyptian hookahs with Mya hoses that are well cleaned every shift with sanitary hose tips as well? Now what if I told you that both of these lounges are owned by recently graduated college students but at only one location are the owners actually involved in their business? Could you guess which?

NOW, would you still go to the cheaper location, knowing that you would receive inferior service?

Really?

It comes down to good business practices, not what you charge. I'm more than willing to pony up the extra $4 a bowl plus money for the mandatory drink you must buy to be able to smoke in the better location. In fact, I haven't set foot in the other lounge since I first found it. I am more willing to pay the extra money because I know I will get a better smoke, in a better environment, with better service.

Another way to put this, as you're focused on us talking about price is: When you're hungry would you rather go to McDonald's and get a $3 burger that you know is going to give you heartburn or go to Outback Steakhouse and get a T-bone steak that you'll enjoy eating? If you can't afford any better, you'll get the burger, but you'll still want the steak.
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM
kevin2323
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriekitsune View Post
Although I'm sure it does look like many people are complaining about price, most of us understand there is a difference between buying shisha for home use and paying for a session at a lounge.

BUT, there is also a difference between charging a fair price for a good session, and charging an outrageous price for a crappy session.

For example, there is a lounge near me that charges $12 a bowl (max) for up to 4 people on a hookah. There is another lounge that charges $16 a bowl (max) for up to 3 people on a hookah. Which lounge would you choose? Now what if I told you that the $12 lounge had broken and beat up furniture, irritating fluorescent lighting, crappy static-y speakers with somebody's personal iPod on repeat playing, served Ed Hardy shisha as their "premium" shisha, workers who probably don't know the difference between a hookah and a NHT item, and had hookahs that are so grimy I wouldn't touch them with a twenty foot pole? What if I told you that the $16 lounge had comfortable (although worn) furniture, custom lighting including a black light or two, floor lamps, and mood lighting, flat screen tvs set to the WMP type screensaver, a harddrive worth of various (yet appreciated) music, served Tangiers as their premium shisha, used Mya and quality Egyptian hookahs with Mya hoses that are well cleaned every shift with sanitary hose tips as well? Now what if I told you that both of these lounges are owned by recently graduated college students but at only one location are the owners actually involved in their business? Could you guess which?

NOW, would you still go to the cheaper location, knowing that you would receive inferior service?

Really?

It comes down to good business practices, not what you charge. I'm more than willing to pony up the extra $4 a bowl plus money for the mandatory drink you must buy to be able to smoke in the better location. In fact, I haven't set foot in the other lounge since I first found it. I am more willing to pay the extra money because I know I will get a better smoke, in a better environment, with better service.

Another way to put this, as you're focused on us talking about price is: When you're hungry would you rather go to McDonald's and get a $3 burger that you know is going to give you heartburn or go to Outback Steakhouse and get a T-bone steak that you'll enjoy eating? If you can't afford any better, you'll get the burger, but you'll still want the steak.

i know very well what you are talking about....my point was that people were complaining about price in general compared to what u can get at home. that is all.
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:30 PM
laronde20
Hookah Newbie

I'm in Canada and I go to lounges frequently. I have found a nice one in the area of my college. I also have one close to home that I bring friends too. They are both not "trendy" and use normal egyptian hookahs. Their price are fairly standard (10 - 12$).

Zaza and Rex Cafe for those who are ever in the Montreal area.
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

I VERY WELL understand the cost of home vs lounge. What I dont understand is why people pay to go to these low-brow run half-assed hookah lounges. Im the kind of guy who will pay many dollars for a good meal or bottle of scotch, im not a cheap ass.

The whole point of this thread is to share ideas about how pathetic people are that try to take advantage and make a quick buck off of our hobby.
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:06 AM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

The worst is when they serve cheap tobacco at premium prices in cheap hookahs with even cheaper hoses.
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:11 AM
kevin2323
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shienhausser View Post
I VERY WELL understand the cost of home vs lounge. What I dont understand is why people pay to go to these low-brow run half-assed hookah lounges. Im the kind of guy who will pay many dollars for a good meal or bottle of scotch, im not a cheap ass.

The whole point of this thread is to share ideas about how pathetic people are that try to take advantage and make a quick buck off of our hobby.

gotcha.
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:33 AM
BDP
Hookah Nut

Yeah I've been through that. We had one place called the hookah hut. All they served was AF. Clearly that showed their knowledge of hookah right there. They also played the local rap station constantly. Sorry rap just doesn't tickle my fancy while smoking. The sound system probably cost more than the building. 12 bucks for a bowl of AF. All chinese or Myas. One quick light right in the middle of the bowl. They got in trouble numerous times for serving to minors. The owner was a twenty something jerk that referred to everyone as bro. There seems to be a pattern in this. And just to top it all off, the owner always had a shotgun, energy beer and rolling papers laying on the counter. I have never had a good hookah lounge experience.
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:40 AM
BDP
Hookah Nut

Oh and a new one opened recently and I got a Starbuzz craving. It was around Christmas, so clearly Christmas Mix was the correct choice. The price to buy 50 grams was average, like 6 bucks. I went in and asked the guy at the counter what brands they had and he had no clue. He called another guy over and he just handed me the flavor list instead of answering my question that I asked again. They weren't just dumb, but quite impolite. So I saw Starbuzz flavors and bought the Christmas mix. I don't know what this guy does to his shisha, but it was so dry it was worse than Nakhla. Yes that dry. I love everything about Nakhla, but Starbuzz is not supposed to be that dry. It was horrible, no flavor at all. I haven't went back since.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook