Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Nakhla Problems

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 9th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Shushyne4np2ne Send a message via Yahoo to Shushyne4np2ne
Unhappy Nakhla Problems

Hey guys, I was just wanting to know if anyone has had problems with Nakhla. I've smoked Sweet Melon tonight and for some reason, I get little to no flavor. Here is my setup:

2 Exotica chunks (1/4 stick)
Egyptian bowl
AF 40" Light
Narbish Hose.

I've packed it lightly, sprinkling it into the bowl and breaking it up well. I poke a decent amount of holes and the coals were completely lit. I set them on the edge and got a little smoke and a lot of flavor, then I rotated to the other side of the bowl and I got some more smoke, but little to no flavor. Is there anything glaringly wrong that I'm doing or do you think Nakhla is all about luck?

Old March 9th, 2010, 10:13 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Nakhla Problems

nakhla needs a dense pack check the video section for how to overpack nakhla and it should work for ya nice
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Shushyne4np2ne Send a message via Yahoo to Shushyne4np2ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoapplesplease View Post
nakhla needs a dense pack check the video section for how to overpack nakhla and it should work for ya nice
I have tried the overpack method. However, I did it just as instructed and it just burnt all the way through. tried it with less heat, and it did the same thing. The overpack method just doesn't work for me.

Old March 9th, 2010, 10:18 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Try a dense pack, sprinkle it in just above the rim and then pack it down below it, so the foil wouldn't touch the shish, then just as with the overpack poke the holes straight through to the bowl holes.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGram View Post
Try a dense pack, sprinkle it in just above the rim and then pack it down below it, so the foil wouldn't touch the shish, then just as with the overpack poke the holes straight through to the bowl holes.
Hmm... I might have to try that. I'm not going to do it tonight, but I will try it tomorrow on my Nakhla Coconut.

Old March 9th, 2010, 10:20 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

I do not know about the dense pack. I pack it in varying degrees depending on the session. Nakhla is not as moist as most shishas and I find you need a bit more heat to get it rolling and rotating the coals often. Using a wind cover after the coals have sat on it for 10ish minutes might do the trick but just be careful to not burn it in the process. I always find it to be a bit more heat tolerant and handles heat better.

Mizo on the other hand seems to be a little less heat tolerant and I do not know if this is from wetness or what. Good luck.

Also make sure you break it apart really well since Nak is not as small of a cut as others.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:22 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

Is this your first go with nakhla?

Sounds like you might need a bigger bowl I think...on a 40 inch AF hookah I'd pack up a minnimum of 40g
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMALIKIA View Post
I do not know about the dense pack. I pack it in varying degrees depending on the session. Nakhla is not as moist as most shishas and I find you need a bit more heat to get it rolling and rotating the coals often. Using a wind cover after the coals have sat on it for 10ish minutes might do the trick but just be careful to not burn it in the process. I always find it to be a bit more heat tolerant and handles heat better.

Mizo on the other hand seems to be a little less heat tolerant and I do not know if this is from wetness or what. Good luck.

Also make sure you break it apart really well since Nak is not as small of a cut as others.
I broke it apart really well, and I still had this problem. I also do not own a windcover.

Old March 9th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Is this your first go with nakhla?

Sounds like you might need a bigger bowl I think...on a 40 inch AF hookah I'd pack up a minnimum of 40g

No, I've smoked Nakhla before and I seem to have this problem most of the time. 40g, really? I barely pack a corner of a 50g... Hmm... I'm just so scared of burning it and getting a massive headache, that I pack it lower than I do most other tobaccos.

Old March 9th, 2010, 10:31 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

yep not enuff tobacco...LOAD THAT BABY UP! nakhla burns when its underpacked when its overpacked it can really take the heat well and not burn and yes the tobacco must be pressed down with the foil...don't worry if you packed densly it wont burn
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Quote:
yep not enuff tobacco...LOAD THAT BABY UP! nakhla burns when its underpacked when its overpacked it can really take the heat well and not burn and yes the tobacco must be pressed down with the foil...don't worry if you packed densly it wont burn
Really? I didn't know at all that Nakhla burns when underpacked! I'll maybe pack it with a bit more. I just had a bad experience with Nakhla. I smoked Nakhla banana and the next morning I had the worst !@)#$(ing headache ever.

Old March 9th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

I personally dislike the overpack, but I find that the dense pack works well, as described by Sonofgram. Pack to the rim, fluffy style, and then pack it down.
I'll break it down some, assuming 4/4 is the highest you want your fluff pack to go (a few mm away from the foil) you'll pack down to like 2/4. I add another fluffy pack back up to 3/4 which in a small bowl is like 5 leaves :X. I don't fill it all the way back up because the heat will make the dense pack expand. Also make sure to poke holes all the way through to all the holes.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarcity View Post
I personally dislike the overpack, but I find that the dense pack works well, as described by Sonofgram. Pack to the rim, fluffy style, and then pack it down.
I'll break it down some, assuming 4/4 is the highest you want your fluff pack to go (a few mm away from the foil) you'll pack down to like 2/4. I add another fluffy pack back up to 3/4 which in a small bowl is like 5 leaves :X. I don't fill it all the way back up because the heat will make the dense pack expand. Also make sure to poke holes all the way through to all the holes.
Hmm, it sounds like SOG's pack method is a way to go. I'm definitely going to try it with my Nakhla Coconut tomorrow.

Old March 9th, 2010, 11:08 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

I get a great smoke without packing it like that and at 50g a whack, way too much. Maybe you just got a bad batch or something.
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:27 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

I don't overpack but like to pack the bottom of my bowls densely and then fill it with a little more tobacco. I'd recommend at least have a layer of dense tobacco. Nakhla takes heat very well but is not dripping with glycerin so it wont smoke forever. Give it a go for one round of coals and then change it up(if you're still going to smoke), variety is the spice of life anyways.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook