Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

A finer draw + thicker smoke..

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 10th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Castro
Hookah Newbie

Default A finer draw + thicker smoke..

Anyone notice when you use a mouth tip or a finer hose piece there is a lil more taste and the smoke maybe the same mass but more condensed?

Been swapping 3 hoses around on the km and I really like using the Narbish from hoookahjohn and disposable mouth tips
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:40 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin
Default Re: A finer draw + thicker smoke..

Very observent Castro. I've long been a champion of narrow hose in order to increase flavor. The science is simple. More concentrated smoke= more flavor.I own both a Razan and Nammor and rarely use them. My nonwashable Syrians get all the play!
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:48 AM
zeoalex
Hookah Nut

i noticed this the other day. i decided to use a cocotip with my narb and i got a much stronger flavor. i just feel like the draw is limited in using one.
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:51 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
Very observent Castro. I've long been a champion of narrow hose in order to increase flavor. The science is simple. More concentrated smoke= more flavor.I own both a Razan and Nammor and rarely use them. My nonwashable Syrians get all the play!
how do you know that its more concentrated and its not that you are inhaling longer thus more time in your mouth
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:55 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuworldorder View Post
how do you know that its more concentrated and its not that you are inhaling longer thus more time in your mouth
a narrower draw allows less air the flow resulting in a more concentrated vein of smoke. I's pretty simple.
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Castro
Hookah Newbie

Quote:

I have had about 3 or 4 sessions experimenting and it is concentrated for sure but yes your draw isnt as easy..
If you drawing the same amount of breathe with and with out a mouth tip
the later give a dense smoke with a bit more flavour
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Castro
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
a narrower draw allows less air the flow resulting in a more concentrated vein of smoke. I's pretty simple.

It makes sense
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

Hmm and this is why im terrible at the sciences. i never thought of this. i need to head to a local crap shop and pic up a thinner hose and se how i feel about this.
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:44 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

im not a fluids engineer but it really doesnt makes sense about concentrating it. it would be like using a thinner straw it just takes longer because less comes through right? ill ask one of my grad student friends tonight.
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

I've noticed this with some flavors, if you are using a nammor/razan/narbish put your thumb over the mouth piece and cover like 80-90% of it. It feels almost like solids sometimes.
@gnu gas and liquids are different, gas can be condensed and liquid, not as much. I assume that the condensing of the gas (in my mind, near the end of its trip) would increase the flavor.
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

I think I agree with the theory that with a smaller diameter you draw longer and focus the smoke jet onto your tongue better and thus get more taste out of the smoke. I don't think that the smaller hose would do much if anything to condense or concentrate the smoke because if the hose is restricting draw then you'd be pulling less smoke through the entire pipe to begin with, thus the smoke in the chamber would be slightly thinner because you're not pulling air through the bowl with the same force and the coals aren't heating to the same intensity.
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

well i was just assuming it was an ideal gas (which it isnt its actually a suspension) pv=nRT and nRT is constant so pv(thick hose)=pv(thin hose). so if you can get the same pressure on both hoses the volume would be the same which would mean it gets thicker. since the thinner hose has more resistance, it would mean the thicker hose would have less pressure and therefor need more volume to equal out.
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:58 PM
jusuravragecrakr
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jusuravragecrakr

im def gunna have to try this out all the fancy science sounds interesting too
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:06 PM
ryon
Hookah Nut

I've noticed this too
Next session I'm using my mini Mya hose and rotate that with my nammor and see if there's a difference
This intrigues me lol
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
well i was just assuming it was an ideal gas (which it isnt its actually a suspension) pv=nRT and nRT is constant so pv(thick hose)=pv(thin hose). so if you can get the same pressure on both hoses the volume would be the same which would mean it gets thicker. since the thinner hose has more resistance, it would mean the thicker hose would have less pressure and therefor need more volume to equal out.
It's actually a sol, but regardless. I'm unsure of why the gas las would be applicable here even, but assuming the pressure is the suction from your lungs than the volume would be same, but that is not true as the hoses are different containers an therefore hold different volumes as you have to apply more pressure through a smaller hose to get the volume. Don't think of it mathematically, you're pulling harder through a smaller hose which causes the same amount of smoke to condense through the smaller opening, increasing the density.
I have no idea if that made sense, it was mostly stream of thought writing so we'll see how it turns out.
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
I'm not gonna claim to understand that formula but it seems to me that in order for there to be a constant there would have to be a contained (or "constant") environment. The hose is not such, it's a passageway, your lungs could fill the role of a constant containment area and I could see the smoke concentrating there, but thats well past the taste buds... maybe on the exhale it makes a diff?
Old March 10th, 2010, 04:40 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

Thats why I don't smoke with my KM hose. I use the nammor, but I use a diffuser which makes the draw slightly harder but the flavor increases so much when using a diffuser.
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:21 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

if harder draws make it more dense why dont you just partially block the stem then?
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:38 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

I'm not convinced that it actually means the smoke is more dense. I'm not sure that a narrow draw would actually produce that. If you had 30% oxygen and 70% smoke flowing through your hookah, narrowing the draw would not somehow increase the density of the smoke to say, 85%.

I suspect that it has more to do with a narrow draw forcing you to take your time as you inhale which means the flavor spends more time passing your tongue and hence, would seem to be more flavor. Because flavor in hookah smoke can be communicated with only a small amount of smoke. But More smoke doesn't usually mean more flavor. Think of it like french fries. Eating 8 french fries at a time doesn't make them taste more strongly like french fries. You can spread out the enjoyment of the french fry flavor by eating them one or two at a time. It's the same with hookah smoke. One full breath of smoke taken in 1 second, will produce the same flavor as a breath taken in four seconds, but inhaling slower spreads the flavor out.

Or, at least that's what I suspect the reason is. I personally use Coco tips on my Nammor hoses. The draw is about as close to perfect as I can get. Well, actually, the best draw I know of is a Narbish plugged up to my 24" Mya. Somehow the gauge between the two is just right.
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Biloshambles
Hookah Nut

its just the placebo effect
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:15 PM
blacklit
Hookah Newbie

hehe maybe : ) by the same token, could we get more coke flavor sipping it through narrow straws?

but our tongue has different flavor spots, no? maybe just aim it at the right spot.

Last edited by blacklit; March 10th, 2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Regardless of how this occurs, this is the reason why I do not prefer a wide open draw, a little bit of resistance is how I like it.
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:16 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

Quote:
im not a fluids engineer but it really doesnt makes sense about concentrating it. it would be like using a thinner straw it just takes longer because less comes through right? ill ask one of my grad student friends tonight.
Maybe this will help explain it. Could not find the correct CFM diagram to do this justice so I just winged it, hope this helps. Basically think of smoke as only so much being generated when you take a draw on the hose. Regardless of how fast you take a hit, the smoke generation is fixed. Therefore a massive hit, when mixed with a large amount of air, just washes the smoke out. In contrast, a slower steadier hit will take as much smoke as the shisha generates and thus allows you to accumulate more smoke using a smaller volume of air. At least that is how I rationalize it to myself, I like the large hoses for the volume of air but, you should still draw on them slow.

I remember someone taking about taking three quick puffs on the hookah to get it going and then taking a longer draw. All about maintaining a steady draw and taking just as much, not more, of what your tobacco can generate via smoke.

Last edited by DRMALIKIA; March 10th, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

damn we need a scientist. That's a good example but it doesn't account for the higher/faster draw stoking the coals and generating more smoke as result of a higher burn temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMALIKIA View Post
Maybe this will help explain it. Could not find the correct CFM diagram to do this justice so I just winged it, hope this helps.
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:33 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
I'm not convinced that it actually means the smoke is more dense. I'm not sure that a narrow draw would actually produce that. If you had 30% oxygen and 70% smoke flowing through your hookah, narrowing the draw would not somehow increase the density of the smoke to say, 85%.

I suspect that it has more to do with a narrow draw forcing you to take your time as you inhale which means the flavor spends more time passing your tongue and hence, would seem to be more flavor. Because flavor in hookah smoke can be communicated with only a small amount of smoke. But More smoke doesn't usually mean more flavor. Think of it like french fries. Eating 8 french fries at a time doesn't make them taste more strongly like french fries. You can spread out the enjoyment of the french fry flavor by eating them one or two at a time. It's the same with hookah smoke. One full breath of smoke taken in 1 second, will produce the same flavor as a breath taken in four seconds, but inhaling slower spreads the flavor out.

Or, at least that's what I suspect the reason is. I personally use Coco tips on my Nammor hoses. The draw is about as close to perfect as I can get. Well, actually, the best draw I know of is a Narbish plugged up to my 24" Mya. Somehow the gauge between the two is just right.
Yeah, I am going to go ahead and disagree with that. We are talking volumes and densities here and that logic is not sound. For example:

You have two glasses of juice. One is frozen (condensed) and one is normal shelf juice (water added). The flavor intensity in the condensed juice will be far superior to the water downed juice. Just because it has juice in it, does not mean they both are the same intensity. If I hold a mouth full of chopped jalapenos or one seed, I bet I am going to know the difference. Regardless of the time spent in your mouth, the larger quantity of jalapenos is going to fuck me up verse the single seed.

Where the taste comes from is your "NOSE" not your mouth. 70-75% of your taste is from your nose. That is why you "taste" the hit as you exhale and more so if you blow it out all valves and not just your mouth. So the more dense the smoke, the more your nose has to sample and the increase in sensation you experience.

Not badgering just disagreeing with your logic my friend.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook