Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Q about hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 12th, 2010, 07:22 AM
gothic
Hookah Newbie

Default Q about hookah

hey
actually am not from USA and am coming this month to study,

my question , is it legal to bring my hookah with me , i mean at the airport?
and is it legal to smoke hookah at my room if it have stove for example?

sry for the bad English

thx
Old March 12th, 2010, 07:37 AM
MechEng
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Q about hookah

Absolutely. Just be careful so it doesn't get broken. And it is legal to smoke in your room. It might be against someone's rules to do so but you're not going to get arrested for smoking a dorm per se. However, you would probably get a fine and they would try to take you hookah. I guess I smoke in mine daily but I borrowed the proper smoke/particle detector covers from one of the kitchens.
Old March 12th, 2010, 07:50 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

I recently flew out of Chicago's O'Hare Airport to Boston's Logan with a newly purchased hookah and shisha. Before going to the airport I made sure to have the hookah in its own bag and I treated it as my second peice of carry on luggage. When I got to security, I made sure to open up the bag and identify to security ahead of time that I was carrying a hookah and shisha. It then when through the x-ray and that was it.In your case you might be able to pack it as checked luggage, but I would not be suprised if your bag was selected for hand inspection. I would also caution against bringing shisha into the country. You run a *REAL* risk of having it seized by customs since it is technically a Agricultural Product, and then triggering additional screening. (Not Fun!)As for smoking inside... it depends. As MechEng says, its not like you will be arrested by the police. If you are staying in an apartment, then its not a huge problem if your roomates don't mind smoke. But this can cause problems if you are living in Dorms or in College provided housing since that tends to be *NO SMOKING. NO EXEPTIONS.*
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:34 AM
manjaco
Hookah Aficionado

Yeah spanner's advice it good about how to pack it for the airport. And if your staying in the dorms you will not be able to smoke in the dorms. I have seen many hookahs taken this year because of smoking inside the dorms.
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:11 PM
gothic
Hookah Newbie

thx m8s u really healed me ,
what about the limited amount of the tobacco that u can carry it with u?
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:27 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

im not sure what your asking.
once your here you can carry as much as you want and its relatively easy to get
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:44 PM
thomas_j_smith
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thomas_j_smith Send a message via Yahoo to thomas_j_smith

I think Spanner has the shisha issue right on! I'm thinking the hookah is a no problem carry on, but customs would tax or just sieze the shisha... Just not worth the problem when you can buy it here!
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:13 PM
jdansby1
Hookah Newbie

Yep, but with customs flying into the country it MIGHT even be a hassle with the hookah. I'm actually typing this message from St. Martin in the Caribbean islands and I wanted to bring one of my hookahs SO badly to smoke with over spring break, but I called ahead and talked to someone in the customs office at the Miami airport and they said I "could" bring it, but it could have turned into a huge hassle with customs.
Old March 12th, 2010, 07:09 PM
gothic
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_j_smith View Post
I think Spanner has the shisha issue right on! I'm thinking the hookah is a no problem carry on, but customs would tax or just sieze the shisha... Just not worth the problem when you can buy it here!
the new hookah need time to become good , and my hookah is old and have gr8 flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdansby1 View Post
Yep, but with customs flying into the country it MIGHT even be a hassle with the hookah. I'm actually typing this message from St. Martin in the Caribbean islands and I wanted to bring one of my hookahs SO badly to smoke with over spring break, but I called ahead and talked to someone in the customs office at the Miami airport and they said I "could" bring it, but it could have turned into a huge hassle with customs.
omg ..

i changed my mind , ill leave my hookah home
Old March 12th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

Bring your hookah but wait til you get here to buy tobacco and coals.
Old March 12th, 2010, 07:24 PM
ObsoleteE
Hookah Nut

I used to do airport security, and I have flown internationally with a hookah. Spanner pretty much nailed it. Do not try to fly with coals first off. They are obviously a safety hazard. You would be safest with a brand new never been smoked hookah. Like he said, be sure to mention it up front and not act like you're trying to hide anything. They will appreciate this. I was a civilian contractor in Iraq, where I picked up this wonderful habit. When we were flying back, we took a military flight from Baghdad to Amman Jordan. Our bags were searched right on the tarmac. Every one of our hookahs were pulled, and we were told "drug paraphernalia is not permitted for the armed forces." My buddy (in the national guard) spoke up and said "We are over here as civilians, we can do drugs if we want to." The person searching our bags said "good point" and allowed us to fly with them. When we got back to the USA, customs asked "where are you coming from?" we said Baghdad, and customs replied "welcome home" We got by with no search what so ever. I hope my info helps you, and hope you enjoyed the story.
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:52 PM
iMaD
Hookah Pro

Everytime I fly back from the Middle East into Chicago I bring with me a pound or so of shisha tobacco ( house blend from my favorite coffe shop) and a couple of times I brought in a Hookha pipe and I pack them all in my suite case. I always declare ( flavored tobacco) $10 and (souvenir water pipe) $20 and never had any problems with US customs.
Old March 13th, 2010, 03:18 AM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsoleteE View Post
I used to do airport security, and I have flown internationally with a hookah. Spanner pretty much nailed it. Do not try to fly with coals first off. They are obviously a safety hazard. You would be safest with a brand new never been smoked hookah. Like he said, be sure to mention it up front and not act like you're trying to hide anything. They will appreciate this. I was a civilian contractor in Iraq, where I picked up this wonderful habit. When we were flying back, we took a military flight from Baghdad to Amman Jordan. Our bags were searched right on the tarmac. Every one of our hookahs were pulled, and we were told "drug paraphernalia is not permitted for the armed forces." My buddy (in the national guard) spoke up and said "We are over here as civilians, we can do drugs if we want to." The person searching our bags said "good point" and allowed us to fly with them. When we got back to the USA, customs asked "where are you coming from?" we said Baghdad, and customs replied "welcome home" We got by with no search what so ever. I hope my info helps you, and hope you enjoyed the story.
Share with your friends on facebook