Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Very harsh smoke

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 15th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Blaat
Hookah Pro

Default Very harsh smoke

Yesterday I made some Nakhla Mango shisha. I used foil, and one quick light coal and a windcover. The windcover was extremely hot, and the smoke was just too strong. One little bit of smoke and I was coughing all over the place.

Was the tobacco just burnt? Too much heat at a time?

I also bought some natural coals last week, I use 1-2 most of the time, but I think I got more flavour with quick light coals. Am I making too much heat for the tobacco?
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:06 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Very harsh smoke

Is it possible that the shisha was touching the tinfoil causing it to burn? There should be at least a 1/4 inch gap between the shisha and foil in my experience.

Also, did you move the coal around from time to time? I usually move my coals when I get a *HINT* of harshness.
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:19 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

Using a wind cover traps and, in a sense, amplifies the heat. It could be that between the size of your bowl and the size of the coal and the windcover, it's simply way too much heat.

I would browse the video how-tos and be sure that you're packing your bowl properly, then try smoking with your coal set off to the side and use no wind cover. See if that improves things and then adjust as necessary.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Blaat
Hookah Pro

I don't think the tobacco was touching the foil.
After the smoke was extremely harsh I put off the windcover immediately. After 5-10 mins, the smoke was normal again.

And I moved the coal from side to side when the smoke was harsh, but that didnt help. Putting the windcover off helped, after a few mins.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:50 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

In that case Bpetruzzo is probably right. I saw someone post that they treat adding a wind cover as adding 1 coal. So if you pull off the cover and its not burning any more then viola! Problem solved.
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM
WinBigLoseBig
Hookah Newbie

[FONT=Verdana]Normally when friends of mine complain about that it is because they don't wait for the charcoal to be red hot. If it’s not lit all the way you are going to get some nasty smoke. I am not sure if this is the case with you are not. But depending on the size of the bowl I would say leave the wind cover off at first and move the charcoal along the outside rim of the bowl. When it starts to die down put the wind cover on.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I am not sure what kind of foil you are using but if it’s just the cheapo stuff try doubling it up.[/FONT]

Also a friend says the same exact thing about getting better flavor with QL over Nats.
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:37 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

The heating surface of a QL is much bigger than a Nat 33mm or 44mm so the use of a wind-cover is not necessary when smoking inside
Share with your friends on facebook