Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Noob questions

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hookah Pro
Default Noob questions

So in heat management (adding removing coals/windcover), how long does it take for the change to take effect? Is it instant or does it take a couple seconds or puffs? Also, what is the best way to clean a hookah too big for your sink? Shower?

Thanks guys
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Hookah Pro
Send a message via MSN to Tunisiano
Default Re: Noob questions

in my experience it would depend on the type of coals you're using, size and material of the windcover you're using, where you place the coals, how many you remove, etc.. but if done correctly you should notice the difference after a few puffs

yup, give it a good wash in the bathtub/shower
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hookah Enthusiast

Tunisiano pretty much said what I would on the heat management. Sure there is more that others will say.

As for cleaning. A $1 dollar funnel in the automotive department at WalMart does wonders. Fits in all my stems and you take a cup of water to pour it through. Scrub it with your stem brush and use the funnel again. That thing has been a life save for me.
My Videos
Favorite Tobacco: Desi Murli, Salloum, Cleopatra, Nakhla, Afzal
Favorite Rigs: Syrian Glyph, KM Silk Butterfly, KM Carnival, KM Kafe, SS Czar, Mini MYA
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Hookah Aficionado

It takes a little while, not too long though. I would say under a minute most times. The tobacco is cooking, and as with food if you turn the pan down to low, it's not instantly low.

For cleaning if you have a water sprayer at your kitchen sink you can your hookah up in the sink an pull the sprayer to the top an shoot it down. If not, then bathtub time!

edit: Capt.Howdy's way is pretty crafty too >.>
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hookah Pro

As far as heat management goes its better to preempt a problem. Once you have been smoking with a brand of tobacco for a while heat management begins to become habitual. You learn how the tobacco smokes before it burns so you might take off a windcover or a coal before it gets harsh. If the bowl is already harsh then I take off the coals and set them in the ash tray, purge the smoke and let the bowl cool down a bit before I put back on the coals. It isn't instantaneous but it doesn't take much time at all to correct(a minute or two).
As for cleaning larger pipes I use my bath tub. Crank on the heat and run water through it before using the brush and then run the hot water through once more.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Hookah Pro

In my experience, as long as you totally purge when the smoke become to harsh then the next hit for me is always right back into the sweet spot of the bowl.
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Hookah Pro

Ok, I was asking the heat management question because I have seen some videos that they will add a windcover and say the feedback was instant, I was under the impression it took a little while. Well looks like I have a Walmart trip in my immediate future.
I use a little baking soda (or powder, I don't have the carton with me now and I confuse the two very often) and that will take care of any scents left in the base or stem.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook