Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

New KM rust?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 15th, 2010, 08:12 PM
habs
Hookah Newbie

Default New KM rust?

I just got my new KM and i immediatly noticed there was a red patch on the inside of the stem, where u put the bowl. I tried to clean it off, but can't get all of it.. so im guess its rust? thought KM's aren't suppose to rust?

+ the stem sits quitte unstable/loose on the vase...its airtight though, is this normal for a KM? since i never owned one before...
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:05 PM
chewymatingcall
Hookah Pro

Default Re: New KM rust?

Have you tried wetting it a little, putting some baking powder on and getting after it with a brush? I bough a used KM and the only spots on it were some leftover burnt coal (or shisha) marks
What type of metal is the KM, while KM's don't normally rust (or so I have come to believe) it depends on the metal period, you can't make certain metals not rust. Also, water could have been left on during shipping. Are you sure it isn't a knock-off?
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Tweaked1409
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Tweaked1409

Yeah I have owned a KM for a while and i haven't seen rust on it yet. The orangish patch could just be the unpolished metal that lies underneath or the after effects of welding and producing the metal tube.
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM
hookahstore
Vendor

To fix the unstableness take the grommet off and wrap it with black tape a couple of times and put the grommet back on and that should fix it.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:01 PM
iMaD
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs View Post
I just got my new KM and i immediatly noticed there was a red patch on the inside of the stem, where u put the bowl. I tried to clean it off, but can't get all of it.. so im guess its rust? thought KM's aren't suppose to rust?

+ the stem sits quitte unstable/loose on the vase...its airtight though, is this normal for a KM? since i never owned one before...
Where did you buy your hookah? local shop or online? With KM and other hand made models the stem/vase sizes are not perfect and varies from one to another (unlike the mass produced by machines) so the stem-grommet-vase should have been matched to fit together by the shop before they sold it to you.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Jezusaurus_Rex
Hookah Newbie

Hmm, I've never seen any rust on a hookah, theyre usually brass, copper, or (to a lesser extent) aluminum.

Its funny that you mention the stem not seating right on the base/vase. Mine sits perfectly airtight and all, but when you rotate it around, the stem is a little askew.

Its not a big deal for me, I prefer the hand made Egyptian solid brass over crappy Chinese ones any day, it might not look perfectly built, but it smokes like a champ. : )
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

^^ like rex said.. its not going to be perfect. but thats whats so special is that its handmade and its going to be different than every body else's
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:58 AM
habs
Hookah Newbie

Well i got this from a dealer, that imports them from the KM factory, so it should be a original,
I made pictures, shitty phone cam quality though

Last edited by habs; March 16th, 2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:12 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

The rust spot indicates to me that they were using a low grade of stainless steel. With enough impurities, even stailess will rust.
Just keep it clean and it shouldn't be a problem.
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:46 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

If it is/was rust it would leave behind a texture under where the brown spot is/was. When you remove rust there would be pitting from where the Iron turned into iron oxide.Is there a texture is it smooth where you were able to remove the discoloration? If there is no texture then consider the contrary other option is that its a metal Polishing or Emery Compound used in the finishing process.
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:17 AM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

Alternatively, I have noticed that some areas not covered in the metal plating process especially when the underlying metal is copper, tends to have a brown look to it similar to rust.
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:12 AM
habs
Hookah Newbie

Well I contacted the dealer, and they are sending me a new one free of charge.
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:15 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Good deal... do you get to keep the old one?
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:37 AM
habs
Hookah Newbie

jup
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Jezusaurus_Rex
Hookah Newbie

Nice deal, may i ask the name of said vendor?...Not gonna exploit, just wanna check their selections/sources/etc.

Yeah that looks like an imperfection in the plating process, its a little blurry, but that appears to be copper.

Sweet deal man, two perfect hookahs.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:57 AM
habs
Hookah Newbie

its from a local dealer in europe, so i don't think it will be of any use to you?
Old March 16th, 2010, 02:37 PM
alanpeterson68
Hookah Aficionado

Wow sorry to hear about the rust spot but its sounds like the vendor is taking good care of you.
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
The rust spot indicates to me that they were using a low grade of stainless steel. With enough impurities, even stailess will rust.
Just keep it clean and it shouldn't be a problem.
In the right conditions, even good stainless will rust.
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:55 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahstore View Post
To fix the unstableness take the grommet off and wrap it with black tape a couple of times and put the grommet back on and that should fix it.
my km came with a black grommet with a white silicone thin grommet over it to tighten it up, was perfect then the silicone one broke so i wrapped electrical tape over the rubber one until it was tight in the base with good results.

to the OP, KMs are over rated, maybe its because they used to be great and the quality has since gone down some. they are still good rigs but they QC on them leaves a lot to be desired, im not going to start ranting because it will probably lead to yet another argument on here etc etc etc. but i will say as an art student studying glass blowing and metalsmithing there are many basic flaws in the quality of my KM which all go back to being a lazy craftsman
-matt
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
to the OP, KMs are over rated, maybe its because they used to be great and the quality has since gone down some. they are still good rigs but they QC on them leaves a lot to be desired, im not going to start ranting because it will probably lead to yet another argument on here etc etc etc. but i will say as an art student studying glass blowing and metalsmithing there are many basic flaws in the quality of my KM which all go back to being a lazy craftsman
-matt
I think it has lnothing to do with lazyness and everything to do with excessive workload considering KM's explosive worldwide popularity in the past few years. They produce a massive volume of pipes for a very low price considering the handmade nature of the product in question.

Let me ask you this: If you were to apply your skills at making a quality pipe with no aesthetic flaws, how much would you want to make from it? Consider that the KM company only makes around $20-$30 off each pipe, the rest of the cost is shipping, taxes/tariffs, and vendor costs.
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Akira81386
Hookah Nut

At least you have two hookahs now!
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:34 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
I think it has lnothing to do with lazyness and everything to do with excessive workload considering KM's explosive worldwide popularity in the past few years. They produce a massive volume of pipes for a very low price considering the handmade nature of the product in question.

Let me ask you this: If you were to apply your skills at making a quality pipe with no aesthetic flaws, how much would you want to make from it? Consider that the KM company only makes around $20-$30 off each pipe, the rest of the cost is shipping, taxes/tariffs, and vendor costs.
your right it would cost a lot to make a pipe but even to do exactly what they do product but do it here in the states it would cost a lot more than it does being imported from egypt. some of the issues are the speed they pump them out i agree but other things truly are just being lazy, like uneven glass and poor solder joints

-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook