Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

AF orange issues

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 16th, 2010, 02:53 AM
pomos
Hookah Newbie

Default AF orange issues

Hey guys, I just purchased some AF orange and I've been having some problems with it. I would assume it is a good batch cause it was produced Feb 2010 but it has a really intense tickle in my throat and it got harsh pretty fast. I used a standard Egyptian clay bowl and I usually keep the tobacco loose for better air flow. I have no idea why it was like that but after 5 minutes I couldn't take a complete pull because of that harsh tickle it gave my throat. On top of that it ghosted the hell out of my narbish, even after I used baking soda and lemon juice to clean it out. Anyone have any idea why I'm having these problems? Also I was wondering when you have your sessions do you constantly take the foil off and remove the burnt shisha or do you just let it be until the whole bowl is black and crispy. Thanks
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:23 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Default Re: AF orange issues

First four questions:"How many coals are you using" "are you using a wind cover""Are you moving the coals around from time to time""Is the shisha touching the foil"In my experience AF likes to get Harsh Fast! When I smoke AF I start by packing the bowl loose (like you said) but I leave about 1/4" between the shisha and the foil. Then I put on two coals and a wind cover. Once it *HINTS* at getting harsh I pull off one coal but leave the wind cover on. That is my preference, other people will tell you to leave the two coals but pull the wind cover.You don't *need* the wind cover but I think it helps... the key is 99% of the time:Harsh == Burning == Too Much Heat
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:02 AM
pomos
Hookah Newbie

I'm using 2 CH nats with one of them cut in half but I don't use a wind cover. I would think that I move the coals around once every 15 pulls and yea sometimes the tobacco does get stuck to the foil but this time when I first tried the orange i made sure the shisha had some space so it wouldn't touch the foil.
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:05 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Try starting off with 2 (or 1.5) and drop down to one coal when it starts to gets harsh. You could also try doubling up the foil as well. I have found AF to be very heat sensitive, in my experience.
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:40 AM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

i have the new orange batches and absolutely no problems here. definatley heat management. Poke more holes.
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:45 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I have the new batch and have nothing but problems with it. I don't know why but it's the only flavor out of af that does this to me.
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

try packing your bowl half full of shisha.
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM
HiToKiRi
Hookah Nut

My experiences with AF Orange weren't the best either. AF in general is relatively heat sensitive but the Orange takes this to a whole new level. I just couldn't get it going without it getting harsh.

Heat management is critical with this one.
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:52 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomos View Post
Hey guys, I just purchased some AF orange and I've been having some problems with it. I would assume it is a good batch cause it was produced Feb 2010 but it has a really intense tickle in my throat and it got harsh pretty fast. I used a standard Egyptian clay bowl and I usually keep the tobacco loose for better air flow. I have no idea why it was like that but after 5 minutes I couldn't take a complete pull because of that harsh tickle it gave my throat. On top of that it ghosted the hell out of my narbish, even after I used baking soda and lemon juice to clean it out. Anyone have any idea why I'm having these problems? Also I was wondering when you have your sessions do you constantly take the foil off and remove the burnt shisha or do you just let it be until the whole bowl is black and crispy. Thanks
Right there is the problem. With AF you have to give it a light pack down. It does not matter what bowl you use, pack it down lightly. Put two coals on and a windcover or put three on to get it going and take one off. Packing AF correctly is the key. If you get it packed correctly then you will have great sessions.

If everything is done correctly you should not have burnt tobacco. Rather cooked tobacco that does not effect anything.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:45 AM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

use two layers of foil. or thicker/ stronger foil. i ran out of good foil and used cheap foil and i had the whole throat tickle thing. used 2 pieces and it was much better.
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Welcome to the Al Fakher Show.
Old March 16th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Welcome to the Al Fakher Show.
It's more like a circus.

Anyway, superpack that shit. The more compact the tobacco is, the more heat resistant it will be. If you fluff it up, it'll become harsh quickly. Oh and you can't do that with an Egyptian bowl, you'll cut off all airflow. The Vortex works the best with AF.
Old March 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakins View Post
It's more like a circus.

Anyway, superpack that shit. The more compact the tobacco is, the more heat resistant it will be. If you fluff it up, it'll become harsh quickly. Oh and you can't do that with an Egyptian bowl, you'll cut off all airflow. The Vortex works the best with AF.
well put, but it's definitely not the greatest show on earth.
Old March 16th, 2010, 01:26 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

you can use an Egyptian, you just need something to keep the holes open in the bowl, you can use straws or bamboo skewers in the holes. Just place them in the hole and pack the tobacco around them, when done packing the bowl remove the straws or skewers and it should work.
Old March 16th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

yeah like everyone said, you need more air flow so maybe a little less tobacco more holes and pack it down lightly. Af is funny and sometimes can be very heat picky. Thats AF for you. but if you get it right its one hell of a session. Welcome to the forums BTW =)
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM
pomos
Hookah Newbie

Thanks guys, they all seem like good ideas. I think there's gonna be quite a bit of trial and error with this one until I can get it right. I gave the vortex a try a couple of months ago and it went horribly wrong so I never bothered to use it again. Maybe I'll give that a try if nothing else works .
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM
NYHookahKing
Hookah Nut

I don't know if all AF flavors are the same in means of packing, but I smoked AF Grenadine last night and used a standard bowl and it smoked great. I used 2 three kings QL's (I have a fresh box of coco's, waiting for my coil heater for them) with no wind cover. Don't let it touch the foil and definitely make sure you rotate the coals around the edges of the bowl as it helps to allocate the heat very well. I've come to realize like what most people have said that you really need to have a lot of air flow (more holes in the foil) to get it to smoke well and give the shisha a LIGHT pack down. When you get the method down it really allows you to get the fullest out of the shisha and some intense smoke! Hope you get a good smoke next time
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

When I smoke AF, I usually use about 2 maybe 3 coals and that works pretty well for me. AF for me just comes down to heat management.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook