Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

So is this normal?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 16th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Codeman90
Hookah Nut

Default So is this normal?

I posted this in my thread in the shopping cart area but really wanna know lol:

Received my KM from social smoke today, just checked it out and put it together. bowl was kinda chipped in a few places. the stem doesn't seem to wanna go in dunno if thats normal but i can fit my index finger between the base and stem but seems to be airtight. Got some layalina grape, and lemon. gonna try some stuff out tomorrow. Hopefully it works well hehe. The wind-cover i got looked and smelled like its been used before. and the stem on the KM had areas where the silver was worn off it looks like cause was just black. Dunno if all this is normal but kinda looks like its all been used to me.
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:58 PM
03rivers
Hookah Nut

Default Re: So is this normal?

I don't know if that is normal for social smoke as I have never ordered from them but it doesn't sound normal to me. Pictures would be very helpful for this thread
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Codeman90
Hookah Nut

Yea i would put up pictures but i dont have a camera to do so with :/ i should be able to get some up tomorrow if i have time before work.
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:14 AM
RedbullZ
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RedbullZ

Sounds like a tight or dry stem to base seal. I just wet my grommet and give it a could push and it will slide in and be super snug.
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:33 AM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

Nope that is not normal. I would contact Social Smoke immediately and have them pay to ship this order back to them and have them send you an actual new hookah. You might have gotten a return hookah and they sent it to you as new. Also if they give you a hard time go ahead and call your credit card company and refuse the charges they placed on it or tell them that you will do that if they don't fix your order up.
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Codeman90
Hookah Nut

Thats what i thought, so i sent them an email about it, ill be posting pictures up soon to let everyone see what social smoke sent me.
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:45 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

My km hookah had a really tight seal, i used lube to make sure I wouldn't break the stem and the base. Pictures would be helpful and I'm sure Social smoke will want to help you out. Just make sure YOU don't smoke out of it before then.
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

Yeah, i wouldnt even go through them i would send it back and search around there are plenty of other great vendors out there.
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Codeman90
Hookah Nut

makes me sad was really hoping it was gonna be good, all excited, now i just dont wanna buy a hookah period. $78 and this is what happens makes me sad but oh well ill see what social smoke is gonna do about it, if nothing imma just send it back and get a refund.
Old March 17th, 2010, 04:11 AM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

Social Smoke is one of the crappiest vendors known to man kind. You should definitely get a full refund since this is their fault and buy from a reputable vendor. There are a lot of them just search the forum or look under the Vendors section of the forum. Go with whoever is going to save you the most money on the perfect rig that you want.
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:42 AM
uk_shisha_king
Hookah Nut

Let us know what happens once you've contacted them
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:24 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

What are you guys talking about? Codeman do not listen to these people, except KK and redbullz, it is a tight seal. My KM Silk butterfly is like that. I can't get the stem in the base unless I wet the grommet first. I usually just lick the grommet before I put the stem in the base. This makes it a tacky wet and works like a charm. If the grommet is not wet, it won't go in. Try this first!

As far as the imperfections go, well it is hand made. The reason Social Smoke got away from the Egyptian stems and hookahs is because of what you are mentioning. They received too many imperfections for the size of orders they were placing. But the stem not being fully covered in silver seems to be normal with todays KM's. More demand means more KM's being made. More KM's being made means less attention to detail. My carnival has some spots where black comes through. It makes it unique and doesnt hurt the smoking aspect of it.

As for your comment Essam I have to disagree. Social Smoke is an excellent vendor and I, along with others, know them personally. Too bad you joined late or else you would know them too. I actually ordered a hookah from them yesterday. They take their family business very seriously.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I swap vase grommets on my hookahs in order to find the right fit for each of them. I've bought some silicone ones from SaharaSmoke.com that work great too! I bet the large silicone one from them would work perfectly! Would slide in easily and come out easily.

As for your current grommet .. it is like KK, RED and CAPT said .. you got a grommet that is a tight fit! Sounds like if you slip it in dry it is pretty close to going all the way? So with a little water or saliva or olive oil it will help slide it into the base for a nice fit!

Let us know ..

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:35 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Between KK having:

"a really tight seal, i used lube to make sure I wouldn't break the stem and the base"

CaptHowdy talking about:

"usually just lick the grommet before I put the stem in the base"

and even Sam saying:

"Sounds like if you slip it in dry it is pretty close to going all the way? So with a little water or saliva or olive oil it will help slide it into the base for a nice fit!"

I think this thread has gone to hell!
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip

Last edited by oSPANNERo; March 17th, 2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: per CaptHowdy
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Codeman90
Hookah Nut

Yea after i wet it, it went in, kinda scared i was gonna break something, but it went in. I can deal with the imperfections of the stem, mostly the chipped bowl and how the windcover smells like coal and has soot in it is kinda weird to me. And how i ordered a green KM and everything is green but the bowl...which is brown. lol. Had a friend over and he pointed that out, didnt really notice it until he pointed it out.

Last edited by Codeman90; March 17th, 2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Akira81386
Hookah Nut

You can try sanding down your base grommet. That's what I did and it does fit better. My KM base grommet also needs to be wet so I can slide it in.
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Codeman90
Hookah Nut

Ok so one of the owners of social smoke(abraham? abrahim?) called me and talked to me for a while about it, he explained the egyptians manafacturing process and why most of the stuff that is wrong with the hookah is well wrong with it. He said he will gladly take it back if i want to, i decided to keep it, he then offered great deals on any upgrades(bowls, tongs, etc.) i want. So im very happy with socialsmoke.com and they just won most of my business from now on.
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman90 View Post
Ok so one of the owners of social smoke(abraham? abrahim?) called me and talked to me for a while about it, he explained the egyptians manafacturing process and why most of the stuff that is wrong with the hookah is well wrong with it. He said he will gladly take it back if i want to, i decided to keep it, he then offered great deals on any upgrades(bowls, tongs, etc.) i want. So im very happy with socialsmoke.com and they just won most of my business from now on.
So you received poor quality things, the owner said that's how it is, and now you're cool with it?and you'll buy from them again? most the time even
Man, want to buy some stuff from me?
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:35 PM
manjaco
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarcity View Post
So you received poor quality things, the owner said that's how it is, and now you're cool with it?and you'll buy from them again? most the time even
Man, want to buy some stuff from me?
If you look around the forum dude there has been a lot of talk about the quality of KMs not being nearly as good as they used to be. I think the op was just happy that the vendor tried to make it right by giving him a deal.
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjaco View Post
If you look around the forum dude there has been a lot of talk about the quality of KMs not being nearly as good as they used to be. I think the op was just happy that the vendor tried to make it right by giving him a deal.
I know, I actually made a thread about it not too long ago.
And the main point I was trying to make is if he would buy my junk :3

Last edited by Scarcity; March 18th, 2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: too
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Codeman90
Hookah Nut

lol he explained its the manufacturers fault and he will gladly take it back, but i used it and it was the best smoke i've ever had so imma stick with it. So he offered me some deals on some upgrades from the stuff it came with, mostly the bowl is the problem with chips and its brown and the rest of the hookah is green.
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:04 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

And this is why we will never get KM to improve their "Hand Made" garbage factory. Everyone caves in the moment it "Smokes Great". I have said it once, I will say it again:

Ferrari is hand crafted and that hand crafting expects a premium for quality. Ferrari's are perfection done at the hand of artists. By no means is KM a Ferrari but hand crafted in reference to KM means poor craftsmanship but "A good smoke". In essence, the hand crafted is complete BS because a machine could make the exact KM product and probably do it a lot better (maybe not cheaper however).

KM could take strides to improve but the only thing they are going to see is $$$ until we impact their bottom line, nothing will change. So until then, expect hand crafted to mean "looks like shit, smokes great".

Maybe I need to get into the Hookah business here. I could sell hookahs that look like recycled car parts but as long as it smokes great, people will pay $100+ for the product. I mean that is basically what some of you guys are saying, right?
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMALIKIA View Post
And this is why we will never get KM to improve their "Hand Made" garbage factory. Everyone caves in the moment it "Smokes Great". I have said it once, I will say it again:

Ferrari is hand crafted and that hand crafting expects a premium for quality. Ferrari's are perfection done at the hand of artists. By no means is KM a Ferrari but hand crafted in reference to KM means poor craftsmanship but "A good smoke". In essence, the hand crafted is complete BS because a machine could make the exact KM product and probably do it a lot better (maybe not cheaper however).

KM could take strides to improve but the only thing they are going to see is $$$ until we impact their bottom line, nothing will change. So until then, expect hand crafted to mean "looks like shit, smokes great".

Maybe I need to get into the Hookah business here. I could sell hookahs that look like recycled car parts but as long as it smokes great, people will pay $100+ for the product. I mean that is basically what some of you guys are saying, right?
Call me up, we can get this started and make tons bro.
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Codeman90
Hookah Nut

Lol well considering i have 3 other hookahs sitting in a corner no longer working i would say KM doesnt look great but it lasts and smokes great. instead of looking good, smoking ok, and lasting a month.
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:37 PM
HookahKev
Hookah Pro

after reading every post on this thread, im not sure i wanna get a KM that iv been looking at non-stop, looks great in pics, hope its as good as im hoping
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook