Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Greetings! Id like some help :)

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM
jmnashv08
Hookah Newbie

Default Greetings! Id like some help :)

Hello Hookahpro.com!
My name Is Joshua and I'm so excited to be a member of this amazing community. I'm 24, from Nashville TN, and I love Hookah. I'm having a bit of an issue and would like some advice from more experienced smokers.

I just bought a MYA pettie from my local smoke shop and received and order of Tobacco from hookahShisha.com. Im currently smoking Al-Waha Guava and have previously used Jewels mixed berry flavor. Here is the thing.

I feel like I'm getting little to no flavor during my smoke sessions. Is there a common mistake i'm making that would cause this problem? I'm using normal coals and AM getting allot of good thick smoke, the flavor just isn't there.

Is it me? Is it the tobacco I've been smoking? Maybe my Hookah?
I'd love some advice. Thanks so much.
Old March 18th, 2010, 03:22 PM
chewymatingcall
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Greetings! Id like some help :)

I haven't tried Al-Waha or Jewels but I haven't heard good things about Al-Waha. How big is your hose, the gauge could be really big and that lessens the taste, cover up most of the open space with your lip or finger, it will work miracles. What type of bowl are you using? Are you packing it properly?
Old March 18th, 2010, 03:24 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

It's the tobacco. Al Waha is absolutely horrible. I have never tried Jewels, but do not want to venture down that road because of what people say. Get you some Nakhla and some Desi Murli. You will taste flavor that lasts a long time.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old March 18th, 2010, 03:57 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

Desi Murli is not what I would call a common easy to get brand.

Maybe start with some Nakhla as suggested, Al Fahker, Star Buzz and some of the more common brands.

What flavors are you interested in trying? Someone could point you to a good brand and recommend some things to try or, head over to the Shisha Video Reviews thread. Plenty of Cpt. Howdy reviews to give you a good idea of what you may like or dislike (just ignore his review video on Romman Ivory Coast, it is the best!). lol
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:16 PM
jmnashv08
Hookah Newbie

Ok, I've moved onto some Romman and theres a huge difference. Thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely look into better quality products.
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMALIKIA View Post
Desi Murli is not what I would call a common easy to get brand.
Maybe not common, but definitely easy to get. hookah1.com
Get some and smoke it. To hell with AF and Starbuzz.
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:17 PM
manjaco
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
Maybe not common, but definitely easy to get. hookah1.com
Get some and smoke it. To hell with AF and Starbuzz.
IMO it all depends on the op's taste. If he likes the sweeter candy-like brands then so be it. There's nothing wrong with that, it all just depends on what ya like.
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:50 PM
chewymatingcall
Hookah Pro

how long have you been smoking? If you haven't been smoking that long you probably won't want a routine of just DM. Also if you like smoke tricks get some Nakhla and a vortex (or AF i really like nakhla overpacked in my vortex)
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:34 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymatingcall View Post
how long have you been smoking? If you haven't been smoking that long you probably won't want a routine of just DM. Also if you like smoke tricks get some Nakhla and a vortex (or AF i really like nakhla overpacked in my vortex)
I just ordered some DM, 6 300 gram packs so will be interesting to see how it smokes. Used to be a regular cigar smoker so the more traditional tobacco flavor should not be an issue.
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
how long have you been smoking? If you haven't been smoking that long you probably won't want a routine of just DM.
Honestly, you act like a little bit of natural flavor is something to be afraid of.

Just beacuse it doesn't taste like a grape or a pineapple doesn't mean you're lungs will burst into flames of agony.

I wish I had Desi Murli available when I started smoking. Would have saved a lot of disappointment.
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:39 PM
nerfherder
Hookah Newbie

Hello,

I am new also and tried to address some issues new smokers have in a thread I recently posted check it out if you want.

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20488

I hope it helps
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:52 PM
chewymatingcall
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Honestly, you act like a little bit of natural flavor is something to be afraid of.

Just beacuse it doesn't taste like a grape or a pineapple doesn't mean you're lungs will burst into flames of agony.

I wish I had Desi Murli available when I started smoking. Would have saved a lot of disappointment.
While I agree, Desi Murli is a bit harsher, not good for the baby lungs. Don't be afraid of it but if it is someone's first time smoking anything the harshness may scare them off for good. I think mixing it into the rotation is great for inexperienced people. Also DM often mixes floral flavors into their shisha which may be unappealing to many new smokers
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:40 PM
houseofsmokes
Vendor

We like to use Al Fakher. It tastes much better and contains a lot of molasses in the tobacco, which in turn, gives you a better smoke. Also remember, heat distribution is key: too little heat= not enough smoke and too much heat= harsh smoke. So, play with the coals a little and I'm sure you'll find a good balance. Enjoy!
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:07 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
While I agree, Desi Murli is a bit harsher, not good for the baby lungs. Don't be afraid of it but if it is someone's first time smoking anything the harshness may scare them off for good. I think mixing it into the rotation is great for inexperienced people. Also DM often mixes floral flavors into their shisha which may be unappealing to many new smokers
Harshness? The only way DM would be harsh is if you are burning it. Same as any hookah tobacco.
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:55 PM
thomas_j_smith
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thomas_j_smith Send a message via Yahoo to thomas_j_smith

Romman Raspberry was my first shisha, and I must say I thought it was great! I love the draw of the bigger gauge hose, but like many others suggested, smaller hoses/tips do appear to me to give more taste. The narrow smoke flow to the tongue appears to enhance the shisha taste. Desi Murli from www.hookah1.com is great smoke (taste and price). They mix it fresh, but worth the waste. After I tried DM, it was hard to go back to Starbuzz (or other shisha). Maybe I'm just hooked on DM?
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
Harshness? The only way DM would be harsh is if you are burning it. Same as any hookah tobacco.
This is truth. Desi Murli has no harshness if it's smoked right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_j_smith View Post
Romman Raspberry was my first shisha, and I must say I thought it was great! I love the draw of the bigger gauge hose, but like many others suggested, smaller hoses/tips do appear to me to give more taste. The narrow smoke flow to the tongue appears to enhance the shisha taste. Desi Murli from www.hookah1.com is great smoke (taste and price). They mix it fresh, but worth the waste. After I tried DM, it was hard to go back to Starbuzz (or other shisha). Maybe I'm just hooked on DM?
Absolutely, Thomas. Desi Murli is, put simply, the finest, most authentic tobacco available on the western market today. Starbuzz is an overpriced product marketed to people that think the key elements to a good tobacco is gigantic fuck-off clouds and sickly-sweet candy flavors. It is a one dimensional, diluted yuppie product and it's inadequacy becomes quite obvious when compared to a moassel of true quality.
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
HookahKev
Hookah Pro

So far iv only tried the "fruity" flavor shisha, or mint one of my favorites. i havent tried DM but a lot of you seem to like it. Maybe some day ill venture down that road to more traditional shisha but until then if i want plain tabacco flavors ill go smoke a marb, oh menthol too so i dont think the harshness would kill me
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahKev View Post
So far iv only tried the "fruity" flavor shisha, or mint one of my favorites. i havent tried DM but a lot of you seem to like it. Maybe some day ill venture down that road to more traditional shisha but until then if i want plain tabacco flavors ill go smoke a marb, oh menthol too so i dont think the harshness would kill me
You're making a mistake in thinking Desi Murli is all about plain tobacco flavor. They have 37 flavors available. All of those feature tobacco as a flavor component, but they are very complex. Try it, I promise you'll like it more than all that kid's stuff.
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:54 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
You're making a mistake in thinking Desi Murli is all about plain tobacco flavor. They have 37 flavors available. All of those feature tobacco as a flavor component, but they are very complex. Try it, I promise you'll like it more than all that kid's stuff.
41 my friend! Husky will be reviewing all 41 flavors.
Old March 20th, 2010, 10:02 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

We have a new member here who needs help getting his set up straight and you guys are getting into a DM debate?
Old March 20th, 2010, 10:11 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
We have a new member here who needs help getting his set up straight and you guys are getting into a DM debate?
Sorry Abu, I just thought he would like to know there is 41 flavors. OP said in post #5 he got more flavor from switching tobacco, so hopefully we helped him get his problem straightened out.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook