Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Exotica coals? cheap replacement for *******?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 25th, 2010, 06:18 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Default Re: Exotica coals? cheap replacement for *******?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Gabe... And the various pieces of garbage found in Exotica coals.

Exotica coals used to be the most hated thing in the hookah world on this forum and the other one, then all of a sudden Gabe "changed" his "formula" again and the Exotica problem died down. Then, all of a sudden, people had a hard-on for these coals out of nowhere - when in reality, they are still the same they were a year ago.
well can they still call them naturals if they use organic trash? LOL
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:19 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_HATTER View Post
well can they still call them naturals if they use organic trash? LOL

Actually, yes i think they can!
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:21 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRnKitten View Post
That exotica's are great, the price is great, they last, and burn well. That and they are the only coal I like to use? Yeah. That about sums it up.
No smells, no tastes, and they always last me half a bowl (which is about 40- 50 minutes.) The coco's I tried shattered into a million pieces when they got small (HATE COCONUT COALS) , ashed like hell, and I'll never use them again if I can help it. I sure won't pay for them again.
Everything you hate about coconut coals I hate about Exoticas!
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:23 PM
MikeWaltz
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
So which coals do you prefer? :-P
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM
stairmaster
Hookah Newbie

terrible coal in my opinion. they smell terrible, crack while lighting, and taint the flavor of the tobacco; not to mention the terrible headache that accompanies them. honestly, they were so bad they nearly ruined hookah for me. i guess some people are into that, but i would never ever recommend them. pay the extra few dollars for CH or coco's and have an enjoyable smoke.
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaltz View Post
So which coals do you prefer? :-P
CH Nats!

And holy shit stairmaster, you get the unbearable headaches too?
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM
HOOKAH JOK3R
Hookah Nut

I just recently a few weeks ago jumped on the Exotica bandwagon. They are great coals!!! Yea they do tend to ash alot but they last long and there is no coal taste and can help produce great smoking sessions. Try em out, you wont be disappointed!
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:31 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stairmaster View Post
terrible coal in my opinion. they smell terrible, crack while lighting, and taint the flavor of the tobacco; not to mention the terrible headache that accompanies them. honestly, they were so bad they nearly ruined hookah for me. i guess some people are into that, but i would never ever recommend them. pay the extra few dollars for CH or coco's and have an enjoyable smoke.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 1. Amen to all of that, those are the exact reasons I despise this horrible, horrible shitty coal
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:31 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stairmaster View Post
LOL you said taint

headache from these? hmm
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:36 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_HATTER View Post
LOL you said taint

headache from these? hmm

Not just any headache, a migraine from hell that lasts all day.
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:48 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
lol with every box of exoticas they should throw in a bottle of excedrin migraine LOL
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:01 PM
mitchard
Banned

If anybody has some of the new exoticas and wants to trade/sell me a small sample, pm me.
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahfire View Post
Are these made from coconut?
Yes they are. They smell a tad more than Coco's but a heck of a lot less than CH Nats.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:09 PM
MikeWaltz
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
CH Nats!

And holy shit stairmaster, you get the unbearable headaches too?
I have yet to try those. :[ The only place you can get them is HJ though right?
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

Quote:
To each their own Zen. To each their own. I have liked exotica coals since the beginning. There were some problems when they had the "water damage" or whatever excuse was given, but when that problem went away, I was happy again. I have tried other coals, I just have them as my main preference.

This and other forums were in an uproar when they kept getting the "bad batches" or the "supposed bad batches" and then when things settled down and got back to normal, everybody was fine with them. Hence, where we are today. Just because people hated something yesterday doesn't mean by default people have to hate something next week, next month, next year even. Things change, taste buds change, and people change.

Changes are a fact of life. (And what's great on the forum 1 day, can change drastically the next.)

I hated Coca-cola when I was little and LOVED Pepsi. I grew up and now hate pepsi and love coke. Just an example. A very weak example because I am swamped at work, but an example none the less.
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRnKitten View Post
I hated Coca-cola when I was little and LOVED Pepsi. I grew up and now hate pepsi and love coke. Just an example. A very weak example because I am swamped at work, but an example none the less.
No doubt that was weak, lol.

I have tried Exoticas and found them to less then exotic. I switch between CH Nats (Uniform shape) and the CoCo-Nara (Seem to Last Longer).

Each to their own but I would say the three selections here are the primary usage of this community if I could go so far. You should be safe with any of them and hell just buy a small box of each and do a comparison yourself. Fuck everyone else's opinions and just go with what works for you!
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:04 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Quote:
Actually now that you said that, about a year ago I first started using Exoticas when I wised up and jumped on the natural coal band wagon. I'd smoke and then usually crash on the couch but when I'd wake up I'd have a kick ass headache. But now all I use is coconut coals and I've never had a headache after smoking since. I usually attributed it to nicotine but it may have been the coals. I still have an entire box of Exoticas so it may be time for an experiment.
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:00 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

I don't mind Exoticas, but I prefer Coconaras.
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Then, all of a sudden, people had a hard-on for these coals out of nowhere - when in reality, they are still the same they were a year ago.
I've always had a hard-on for them! I think I have like 4 boxes of Exoticas and 4 boxes of Coconaras .. two of the best coals out there in my opinion.

Quote:
Maybe you aren't lighting them all the way? Or maybe you need to acclimate them? Just Playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
Yes they are. They smell a tad more than Coco's but a heck of a lot less than CH Nats.
I like your honesty Capt! That is how I feel too .. Coconara have very little smell when lighting inside the house with no fan, new Exoticas (pre-scored) are just a tiny bit but hardly noticeable, and ******* Coals give off an odor that gives me a headache. They have become my camping coals (just stick them in the bonfire to light)

Anyway, everybody has their own preferences and opinions ..

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:02 AM
A_Teator1
Hookah Pro

Exoticas may ash a bit more but I love them. The only difference I see with the new formula is a much cleaner looking ash and they are prescored which makes for easy breaking. You get 25 sticks that break into 3 pieces each so quite a lot of coals. That deal you found is great, I usually buy them for 10-12 dollars a box from local smoke shops. All in all they are definitely a cheap alternative.
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Zeal3
Hookah Newbie

I've been using Exotica's for 6 months.
I am a hookah noob and this was the only coal I knew.
They are really good in terms of long lasting, price, and being tasteless.
And since they are sold locally I usually pick them up so i don't have to wait for shipping.

I was able to try out OLD Coconara's and Cocobrico's thanks to Milk with Pulp
and they were great.
They don't ash a lot, they are really low maintenance, they give off good heat, and the way they ash are nice, its almost like a grain of sand.

******* Hookah Coals and Shishaco Coals seem to hold the same aspects of the OLD coconara's.
The main reason I am switching over to ******* Hookah Coals is because of the ash factor. Exotica's give off a lot of ash and I feel like you have to do a lot of heat maintenance to keep the smoke enjoyable.
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:01 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
I've always had a hard-on for them! I think I have like 4 boxes of Exoticas and 4 boxes of Coconaras .. two of the best coals out there in my opinion.

Maybe you aren't lighting them all the way? Or maybe you need to acclimate them? Just Playing

I like your honesty Capt! That is how I feel too .. Coconara have very little smell when lighting inside the house with no fan, new Exoticas (pre-scored) are just a tiny bit but hardly noticeable, and ******* Coals give off an odor that gives me a headache. They have become my camping coals (just stick them in the bonfire to light)

Anyway, everybody has their own preferences and opinions ..

Touche'!

Well, actually, as coals naturally regulate humidity, I have decided this must be a factor, as all the reviews everyone has done with exoticas have always been good. I can't get Exoticas to work, not even a tiny bit, the scored batch left what looks like an asteroid shower on the carpet at my friend's house after they crumbled while I was moving them!
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Touche'!

Well, actually, as coals naturally regulate humidity, I have decided this must be a factor, as all the reviews everyone has done with exoticas have always been good. I can't get Exoticas to work, not even a tiny bit, the scored batch left what looks like an asteroid shower on the carpet at my friend's house after they crumbled while I was moving them!
I'll send you a few sticks if you want?? I got some of the old and new. I wish the new pre-scored ones where scored in to 4 pieces instead of three though.

Here is a pic of the new ones being lit, they have a nice uniformed gray ash.

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Oh man you would cry if I could get a pic of the ones we had. Those things are ashed?? I've never seen a coal look that nice before. :s
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Zen .. You've been here a LONG time .. have you ever known me to steer anybody wrong? These coals are ridiculously awesome! I still like the Coconara better, but these are a very close second. Like I said I switch off between the two. The Exoticas have a nice uniformed ash and they ash really easily. Just a tini-tiny smell when lighting, but hardly noticeable. Last a good hour+

I will definitely try to share awesome products with you guys when I find ones that really excite me. I will definitely voice my disinterest in products too, sponsor or not. I will definitely voice my opinion on products that are falsely hyped up as the best thing since sliced bread.

Shoot me your address and I will send you these new and old Exoticas and some of the new Coconaras if you want.

Sambooka

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook