Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Respect

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 26th, 2010, 12:54 AM
thomas_j_smith
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thomas_j_smith Send a message via Yahoo to thomas_j_smith
Default Respect

In a recent thread over a new phunnel from a vendor, I was shocked at how things became so mean spirited and disrespectful. After all, it was just a simple thread that unfortunately got ugly. I wanted to copy and paste my reply over the issues... so here goes:

I have learned so many things on HP, and am thankful for the knowledge base and fine people on here, but become disappointed when anyone is disrespected. Sometimes I guess people forget that opinions are very subjective, with a percentage of people who will love or hate anything and anyone. Guess it comes down to being adult, and being able to agree to disagree with respect. Communicating in the digital age is very impersonal, and we often say things in text we would never say in person! As Americans we believe we can be free thinkers and question authority respectfully, realizing we all have opinions. Someone once said "you can please some of the people some of the time... but you can never please all of the people all of the time." Throughout history there have been figures that were both loved and hated, despite their actions and words, largely in part to subjective opinions. I really love HP, and find it troubling when a simple thread becomes so hurtful over agendas or clicks. Even our great country once suffered a civil war, but became united. Can't we all just get along over something we all love?

Peace!
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:16 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin
Default Re: Respect

Thanks thomas for taking the time to bring this up. Look. It's no secret that there are elements outside of HP that are sewing the seeds of unrest and the like. We're aware of it and we will deal w/it. We always do. But your larger point is of respect. HP was built by shisha enthusiasts FOR shisha enthusiasts. We pride ourselves on maintaining a solid, dedicated member base that treats one another w/a level of respect that we all expect in return.Dedication is the keyword here. This big sexy beeyotch that we call Hookahpro was built by dedicated members FOR dedicated members. We all get loose from time to time and mess w/one another. Honestly, that's what friends do. And we're all friends here.My point? HP is all about a solid community of friendly shisha smokers to come together and discuss and debate the finer(and sometimes not so ''finer'') points of our historic hobby. It's not about the vendors. It's not about the manufacturers.It's about US! The members. And we do need to show one another the common courtesies that we all expect in return.
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

i totally agree Thomas. and at one point it sounded like an into to an essay.. but none the less he has a point.
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:22 AM
chewymatingcall
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
Thanks thomas for taking the time to bring this up. Look. It's no secret that there are elements outside of HP that are sewing the seeds of unrest and the like. We're aware of it and we will deal w/it. We always do. But your larger point is of respect. HP was built by shisha enthusiasts FOR shisha enthusiasts. We pride ourselves on maintaining a solid, dedicated member base that treats one another w/a level of respect that we all expect in return.Dedication is the keyword here. This big sexy beeyotch that we call Hookahpro was built by dedicated members FOR dedicated members. We all get loose from time to time and mess w/one another. Honestly, that's what friends do. And we're all friends here.My point? HP is all about a solid community of friendly shisha smokers to come together and discuss and debate the finer(and sometimes not so ''finer'') points of our historic hobby. It's not about the vendors. It's not about the manufacturers.It's about US! The members. And we do need to show one another the common courtesies that we all expect in return.
QFT, also, ideally the vendors would consider themselves stewards of the buyer, that they serve the buyer and would treat the buyer as important
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:41 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I love you guys. Thanks Thomas. Now go have a smoke. Everything will calm down and all will be right in the end. Like any other place, we have our ups and downs.(but our members make it worth it!) We are a tight knit group of enthusiasts who enjoy shooting the shit with each other on the forums / chat.

I really do look forward to chatting with the people I've befriended on this site in the chat box while I am at work. I can't say that about any other site I've belonged to.
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:05 AM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

I have been a forum junky since BB's were the thing back in dial up days. What constitutes "Angry" and "Disrespectful" around here is far from either of those descriptions. I think everyone opinionated or not on this forum is very respectful even if they are strong in their opinions and unwillingness to back down.

I do however feel people are being soft skinned and are getting way upset over nothing.

Do not worry over things you have no control over and you will maintain control over your life.
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:53 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

There are people that get more heated then others, and take shunning of John personally. it happens, it just shows how much people actually support John and his products. I don't think it's out of hand until members start personally attacking each other.
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:41 AM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Yup, you're exactly right, Thomas. And the worst part is, there have been threads around that have been much worse than this one!
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:57 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
There are people that get more heated then others, and take shunning of John personally. it happens, it just shows how much people actually support John and his products. I don't think it's out of hand until members start personally attacking each other.
This is a thread about respect in general. Not any specific individual or occurrence.

Personally, there is a very short list of reasons that justify me being disrespectful of other people. Most of you will never see any of those reasons manifest themselves. Liking someone or something is not a reason. If I lashed out at everything I didn't like by slinging insults, making accusations and cursing at people with no regard to the context I would not last on here. If I attacked people that had the opposite opinion to mine I would not be very popular. Or maybe I would. Who knows.

Some people seem to think that this forum is about sides and teams. The Nakhla people, Tangiers fans, KM folks, Syrian lovers et cetera. None of it matters. We all have our tastes and our likes but it seems that some people took the jokes made about the "cult of Nakhla" seriously.

Who cares about the teams. We are part of Team Hookahpro, every last one of us and it's the best team to back. We built this community so that hookah lovers could come here and feel safe from accusations of illegal activity and from overly pushy and underhanded sponsorship. We have done a good job of that and I am proud to be a part of a community where we can openly express our dislikes with ANYTHING legal and have no fear of bans or reprimand. I can't say as much about every community on the net.

Nobody should be treated poorly because they hold an opinion. Public attacks, accusations and insults are not taken lightly here. None of you would deserve to be treated in such a way and I hope that you would never accept it happening to anyone else.

So why would anyone over look such disrespect? I want to hear a single good reason to overlook public attacks and accusations of another member of this family?
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:06 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

can someone explain what this was about? was a thread removed or something because when i was reading the thread it all looked normal then sambooka started ranting about how we are unbiased and fair out of what i thought was the blue. then a shitstorm ensued.
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:08 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuworldorder View Post
can someone explain what this was about? was a thread removed or something because when i was reading the thread it all looked normal then sambooka started ranting about how we are unbiased and fair out of what i thought was the blue. then a shitstorm ensued.

PM'd.
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:07 PM
03rivers
Hookah Nut

I'm a little confused as well. I can only imagine that it has something to do with John's comment sometime ago about the pending launch of Social Smokes new tobacco line and there seems to have been a falling out since then. If someone could clear this up it would be most appreciated but likewise if it is none of our business if someone would say that also and I will be fine with that
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:19 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
PM'd.
By all means Zen. If you have information which could be of value to the community regarding the current situation, feel free to share. I promise you however there is more to the story than what is being spoon fed to many of our members.
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:21 PM
03rivers
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
By all means Zen. If you have information which could be of value to the community regarding the current situation, feel free to share. I promise you however there is more to the story than what is being spoon fed to many of our members.
So abu if you know whats going on is the reason you aren't sharing because you aren't at liberty to share or because it isn't any of our business?
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:24 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rivers View Post
So abu if you know whats going on is the reason you aren't sharing because you aren't at liberty to share or because it isn't any of our business?
the reason I'm not sharing at the momment is because it's an internal matter that our staff is in the proccess of rectifying.It's unfortunate that it's seeping into the forum, but some things are outside of our control.
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:27 PM
03rivers
Hookah Nut

I appreciate your fair answer and as for me I shall drop the matter then
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:27 PM
MeeNerS
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MeeNerS

Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T