Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

hookah mythbusters ?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 28th, 2010, 09:16 AM
hdwindex
Hookah Nut

Default hookah mythbusters ?

well i was thinking , it would be nice to have a thread with either videos or post on myths about hookah, and put it as a sticky ? any one think that would be a good idea ?

sorry if this may of been suggested.
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:38 AM
caveman
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to caveman
Default Re: hookah mythbusters ?

sounds cool not sure how many myths there are about hookahs. Might be a short thread.
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:39 AM
hdwindex
Hookah Nut

i geuss so. umm an example would be like milk in vase does it really thicken the smoke . or something like that
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwindex View Post
i geuss so. umm an example would be like milk in vase does it really thicken the smoke . or something like that
I think my first video here, in late 2008, was on coconut milk, holy crap it was a bad idea.
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
I think my first video here, in late 2008, was on coconut milk, holy crap it was a bad idea.
Indeed.
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:09 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

i want the 100 cigarette thing busted. who wants to smoke 5 packs in 1 hour?
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:39 AM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

Yeah...about that
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Allan
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwindex View Post
about 3 days ago my and my friends went to the lounge and got a milk base,and blueberry shisha,i thought i was eating breakfast,and it gave thicker smoke for us,i have done it like 3 times and it always does for me
Old March 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Pineal
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuworldorder View Post
I don't think that would actually be possible to do. There was a kid in Malaysia who had a cigarette and a lighter in his locker. When it was found his teacher made him smoke 42 cigarettes in over two hours and he couldn't eat for five days. Even when I smoke fast it normally takes me about 4-5 minutes to smoke a cig which would be about 12 cigarettes in an hour. Unless you smoke more than one at a time I don't think that anyone could do it.
Old March 28th, 2010, 04:32 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

well we could modify it to buttsexing them for the duration of a 3 hour session. either way its a total bullshit "statistic"
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:15 PM
sebal
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuworldorder View Post
i have seen a video online. google search hookah vs cigarettes, some 1 did a cotton filter to see how much crap came out of it.
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:56 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebal View Post
i have seen a video online. google search hookah vs cigarettes, some 1 did a cotton filter to see how much crap came out of it.
i already did it and it made a hard draw because i had to use a coffee filter to hold it in since i almost inhaled a cig filter
Old March 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
sebal
Hookah Nut

aw kk
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

My buddy and I totally busted the chiller myth the other night.

My 32 inch pharonie Vs. His 40 inch KM W/Chiller.

Packed the chiller with ice, cold water, and salt.

Both hookahs had room-temp water in the bottles.

Both were loaded with Desi Murli Spicy Apple.

I had 3 coals on a Tangiers Phunnel, he had two on a Sahara Vortex.

My pipe still smoked significantly cooler. Awesome. Myth busted.
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Sleepdeprived12
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Sleepdeprived12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
My buddy and I totally busted the chiller myth the other night.

My 32 inch pharonie Vs. His 40 inch KM W/Chiller.

Packed the chiller with ice, cold water, and salt.

Both hookahs had room-temp water in the bottles.

Both were loaded with Desi Murli Spicy Apple.

I had 3 coals on a Tangiers Phunnel, he had two on a Sahara Vortex.

My pipe still smoked significantly cooler. Awesome. Myth busted.
not to be a dick but that just doesn't seem right, smaller hookah smoking cooler than a larger one w/ chiller. Just doesn't seem right.
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepdeprived12 View Post
not to be a dick but that just doesn't seem right, smaller hookah smoking cooler than a larger one w/ chiller. Just doesn't seem right.
Surprised the hell out of us too!

That being said, the "smaller" hookah in question is still a 32 inch pipe. More than enough length for adequate cooling. Also with a copper stem, Copper is less heat conductive. His pipe has a steel stem... I donno, was really interesting though. We both smoked both pipes and reached the same conclusion. The pharonie smoked significantly cooler. It wasn't even subtle. It was quite outwardly evident. We purposely did everything we could to make that chiller as cold as possible.

My own theory is that once you reach a certain length in terms of stem (Say, around 25 inches or so) Any cooling effect is significantly degraded. After traveling so far, the smoke is going to get as cool as it can possibly get, and you hit a point where the additional length will actually begin warming the smoke back to room temp. Just an idea, mind you... I'm not a physicist.
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Sleepdeprived12
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post

My own theory is that once you reach a certain length in terms of stem (Say, around 25 inches or so) Any cooling effect is significantly degraded. After traveling so far, the smoke is going to get as cool as it can possibly get, and you hit a point where the additional length will actually begin warming the smoke back to room temp. Just an idea, mind you... I'm not a physicist.

hmmm, that makes a lot of sense actually, but now that makes me wonder if you had a sub 20" hookah if it would come into play or not. hrmmm...
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:42 PM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

i can never really tell a difference in how cool the smoke is between my 21" all the way down to my friends 6" yes he has a 6" mini/micro/nano watever u wana call it, tiny hookah, the only time i can tell a difference is when thrs too many coals or something & it gets harsh from being burnt
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:46 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Quote:
hmmm, that makes a lot of sense actually, but now that makes me wonder if you had a sub 20" hookah if it would come into play or not. hrmmm...
actually it really doesnt since the laws of thermodynamics exist
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
From my own experience, I want to say it's somewhere between 20 and thirty inches. I've owned an 18 inch pipe that smoked pretty hot, and my 32 inch pipe seems to smoke cooly no matter if the water in the bottle is iced or room temperature.

To get scientific about it, you'd have to take into accout not only stem length, but stem bore and material, Water depth and temperature, Bowl material and style, tobacco type, coal type and number, hose type, length, bore, and material. Same for the hose's mouthpeice.

Would be interesting to see exactly how all these factors affect smokability, but I doubt anyone here really has the time/know-how/gumption to come to a realisitic conclusion.

My personal conclusions based on years of hookah experience are thus: Longer stem = cooler smoke, to a degree, however a maximum effective cooling length is reached somewhere around 30 inches.

A wider stem bore will result in a cooler smoke (Simple physics: Less pressure, less heat.)

When it comes to cooling, copper trumps brass as a stem material, brass trumps steel. Aluminum just plain sucks, as do galvanized materials (Such as I suspect Sahara stems are.)

Adding ice to the bottle may have a mild cooling effect, however this effect may be negated by the length and bore of your hose, as well as certain bowls or tobacco that just plain burn "hot". I've noticed that oftentimes my pipe will smoke just as cool without ice as with a ton of it. I presume this to be an effect of having 5+ feet of hose to travel through, the smoke has plenty of time to warm back up after leaving the cold bottle (which it spends a minimal time in anyways.) Chillers are the same way. The chiller itself may be cooled to extremely cold temperatures, but the smoke only passes that portion of the pipe for a fraction of a second. Leaving plenty of time for the smoke to re-warm.
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:04 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Dry ice and isopropyl alcohol the 98% kind. That will make it cold!
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Tweaked1409
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Tweaked1409

I have heard people talk a lot about using metal screens over aluminum foil because it is supposedly "safer" and aluminum gives you Alzheimer's. I have heard this a lot some times I have heard it on the forums and other times I have heard it from hookah smokers in my community. I have a couple things to say about that one that might debunk the myth.
1. Those metal screens are primarily made from aluminum so what difference would it make if you used one that was thicker and had holes already poked in it.
2. It takes pretty high temperatures to cause aluminum to evaporate into a gas that could be inhaled by a human. A temperature that is just simply not attainable by coal heat from any quicklight or natural light coal source.
3. The myth that aluminum causes Alzheimer's anyways was a myth started many decades ago and has never had a positive correlation that is significant enough to be considered fact, according to alzheimers.org.
I have always used foil over a screen and i find that the screen just causes stuff to burn too fast and is just a hassle especially with ash. I hope this will turn someone against the metal screen and towards standard foil.
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:02 AM
demented
Hookah Newbie

How about the diff with ice water to warm water in the base?
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Allan
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by demented View Post
How about the diff with ice water to warm water in the base?
what about it?,that it makes it smother?
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Sleepdeprived12
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked1409 View Post
I have heard people talk a lot about using metal screens over aluminum foil because it is supposedly "safer" and aluminum gives you Alzheimer's. I have heard this a lot some times I have heard it on the forums and other times I have heard it from hookah smokers in my community. I have a couple things to say about that one that might debunk the myth.
1. Those metal screens are primarily made from aluminum so what difference would it make if you used one that was thicker and had holes already poked in it.
2. It takes pretty high temperatures to cause aluminum to evaporate into a gas that could be inhaled by a human. A temperature that is just simply not attainable by coal heat from any quicklight or natural light coal source.
3. The myth that aluminum causes Alzheimer's anyways was a myth started many decades ago and has never had a positive correlation that is significant enough to be considered fact, according to alzheimers.org.
I have always used foil over a screen and i find that the screen just causes stuff to burn too fast and is just a hassle especially with ash. I hope this will turn someone against the metal screen and towards standard foil.
Seeing how you can use foil too cook with at temperatures well over 450F degrees, and it does not get into food, I highly doubt hookah coals will cause it to release anything harmful
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook