Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Interesting Musing on AF Grape

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Interesting Musing on AF Grape

((These are my personal views and opinions about this brand/flavor, from my personal recent experiences. Please take them as that only. DO NOT turn this thread into a SLAM FEAST against AF. But... if you've had recent experiences similar, please feel free to talk about them here.))

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of your know I recently got a tub of fake AF Grape

(http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...Image001-1.jpg)

Well I finally got a replacement tub, from both the original vendor as well as AlFakherOnline, who had asked for the "fake" tub in exchange.

Well, unfortunately, the tub I received from the original vendor - was one of the infamous BAD tubs. It smelled like rotten tomatoes. Well instead of tossing it, I figured I would like it sit around and see if by some chance it got better. After 1 week, the smell from the closed & sealed tub actually smelt right, it smelt like my old batches of AF Grape. BUT, upon opening it, I was assaulted by the rotten smell in addition to a heavy CHEMICAL smell. After sitting around smelling up my kitchen a few more days, I finally tossed it.

Ok, then I received my tub of Grape from AlFakherOnline. Yeah! I eagerly opened it and to my horror, it smelt funny. NOOOOOOOOoooooooo! But, far from just tossing it, I decided to wait for 2 reasons:
[list][*]I had a BAD head cold and really couldn't judge the smell right (although others told me it smelt different than my "older" stock[*]I figured I would let it acclimate[/list]
So I opened it and kept it stored the in the tub (new packaging) semi-closed for about week or so. And to my vast surprise, last night I opened the tub and it smelt exactly like it should have - a cross between Grape Bubble-Yum/Raisins/Welsh's Grape.

So, of course I had to taste it. Sure enough, it tasted fine. Perfectly normal. Just as yummie as I remembered.

Now, the weird thing, the production date between the two tubs was only 1 month different. The 1st tub was Oct 2007, the 2nd tub was Sept 2007. How a single month would make a HUGE difference, is beyond me... but it apparently has.

My conclusion = something is up with Al Fakher. Their best flavor suffers this type of mistake (heard rumors of other flavors as well), they are supposedly coming out with several new flavors (which if I remember correctly we were promised LAST year, but they all failed to show, only a small handful and not all got great marks).

But, now I do know that if the tobacco smells slightly off, acclimating it may help (or it may make it worse). Although I've NEVER had to acclimate anything but Tangier's before.... I return to my original view... something is up with Al Fakher.
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:03 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Interesting Musing on AF Grape

I have (had) the september patch of 2k7 which is absolutely normal. I've heard a lot about the august batch and the katchup stories. AF has probably had a bad batch ( the August batch) and cz we are not used to bad AF batches it seems weird. I've beed smoking a lot of AF the past year and never hadd a bad tub. The August incident is probably not going to happen again.
I TRUST AF
Cheers
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:18 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Thing is, I have a good Aug 2007 batch - in fact 2 from that month from 2 different sources, both were peachy fine. Smelt perfectly normal, smoked perfectly as well. So I'm not sure what months may have been affected, it's probebly more of a production batch that was bad and it may have spanned 2 months (end of one, beginning of another). Or it could have been any number of things...

Also, I've heard of people getting bad batches of Golden Esk Apple - little to no flavor. I've bought several tubs of that last year and they were all perfect. In fact that's my number smoke!

So I'm not sure what's going on with them. I mean, the cinnamon sample I got sent w/ the tub from AlFakherOnline - that stuff is the goopiest AF I've EVER seen. This stuff isn't just wet and drippy, it's literary a goopy mess. BUT... it smells & tastes wonderful.

Every brand will have it's ups and downs (Layalina had a few months with weird batches going out as well last year), that's a given. It's just alarming that such a well known brand suffers from a thing and doesn't address it out loud (visit any of the various Hookah forums).
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

This is what had always kept me from trying Al Fakher. I was scared it was gonna be crappy, and low and behold, when I tried it it was a crappy experience. From reading your experience as well as others, I've noticed that Al Fakher has a lot of incosistency with their shisha. Which is weird, because on their site it says that their shisha's are machine made to improve consistency and flavor ...
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:33 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

It seems to be just the grape usually. Theer are some other bad batches, but they aren't as easy to decipher, unlike grape, with a very distinct Ketchup smell. The quality control issues seem to be centered in September and October. The tobacco may be getting exposed to something that makes it the way it is, like a certain climate or something...But it doesn't have to weather, it could be maybe a mix of two flavors, or something foreign mixing into the tobacco like water...
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:37 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I would like to find somebody with a batch from Dec 2007 or Jan 2008.

Even the package they (AFOnline) sent had last years mark and I got it this year.
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:39 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

If Jimmy has AF Grape, you should get some from him. I got some Cinnamon from him, and it's dated from August so it's the Good Batch!
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:06 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

this is a bit of a suprise to me personally.I've never had a bad batch of any AF product. You should contact the main AF company in the UAE. The alfakheronline.com people are little more than distributors. they don't even carry the new flavors that are currently availiable in the US( cardamom and vanilla). Sam, you also may want to contact the Sierra Network. They are the only licenced US distributor of al fakher products. i've spoken to them in the past and they have been pretty helpful. We should get to the bottom of this for sure.Al fakher has been a reputable brand for a long time and I'm sure they would like to hear about such problems.
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:27 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

I thought I had a bad batch (cuz it smelled more sour than sweet than the old packaging)

But to my surprise, I actually like it way better than the old ones. It tasted more likes sour grapes with some sweetness.

It did smell funky (it smelled more like wine), but it tasted better.
Old February 4th, 2008, 10:35 PM
The Messiah
Hookah Newbie

I just ordered a kilo of grape. I'll let everyone know how it is when it comes in.
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:50 PM
wishdrftr
Hookah Nut

Typically I order kilo's of grape and never had a bad batch, but once when I order a 250g it smelt kinda akward, but it was from a headshop so who knows how long it sat. Regardless of even that I've never had any AF smoke akward.
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:05 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

same here.
i usually buy a lot of AF grape, and it never seems to be weird, in any way.
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

AF seems to have gone down hill a bit as of late. I have been steering clear until they work out their issues.
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:07 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin
this is a bit of a suprise to me personally.I've never had a bad batch of any AF product. You should contact the main AF company in the UAE. The alfakheronline.com people are little more than distributors. they don't even carry the new flavors that are currently availiable in the US( cardamom and vanilla). Sam, you also may want to contact the Sierra Network. They are the only licenced US distributor of al fakher products. i've spoken to them in the past and they have been pretty helpful. We should get to the bottom of this for sure.Al fakher has been a reputable brand for a long time and I'm sure they would like to hear about such problems.
Can you steer me toward their sites? I'd love to email them my story/experiences and see what they have to add, explain, etc.
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM
angemonkwj
Hookah Pro

so i finally broke down and bought some of the grape yesterday. i'll let ya'll know how it is when i get it....
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I AF Grape! I would be pissed if I got a bad batch, I would be sending it back!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM
The Messiah
Hookah Newbie

Got a kilo of bad AF grape. It's disgusting. I emailed alfakheronline so lets see what they say.
Old February 8th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I was given a sample of AF Grape one time that was nasty. The funny thing is the whole batch was good but somehow my sample got funky. I probably won't try it again as Al Amir White Grape is very nice!
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:21 PM
lp640man
Hookah Newbie

My AF grape-

-production = july 2007

-expiration = july 2009

I opened the sealed box, then carefully opened the sealed bag and smelled like ketchup. I purchased my tobbacoo from southsmoke and they have agreed to take my return. They said they would see if if there was a problem and if there was they would re ship me a new tub of AF grape. The thing is its almsot a hit or mis so whos to say my new tub wont smell bad.

sux
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I'm beginning to wonder if it's not the production runs themselves, rather the storage/shipping method. Summer in the USA this last year was HHHOOOOTTTTTTT and makes me wonder if the increase in temps may have had a factor in all these bad batches.

But so far people have had bad batches from:

July 2007
Aug 2007
Sept 2007
Oct 2007

But not every "X" month was bad, I have had 2 Aug batches that were fine. My Sept batch smelt funny, but now is fine. Hummm....

Has NO ONE gotten anything later than Oct 2007? Any Nov or Dec's?
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:06 PM
lp640man
Hookah Newbie

Hi sam,

You can add feb 07 , ex feb 09 as a good batch. THis info was provided by another forum member.

Thanx
Old February 8th, 2008, 04:24 PM
The Messiah
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii
I'm beginning to wonder if it's not the production runs themselves, rather the storage/shipping method. Summer in the USA this last year was HHHOOOOTTTTTTT and makes me wonder if the increase in temps may have had a factor in all these bad batches.

But so far people have had bad batches from:

July 2007
Aug 2007
Sept 2007
Oct 2007

But not every "X" month was bad, I have had 2 Aug batches that were fine. My Sept batch smelt funny, but now is fine. Hummm....

Has NO ONE gotten anything later than Oct 2007? Any Nov or Dec's?
My batch was from Nov. 2007.
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:52 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

oct 2007, smells good but then again i never really sniffed ketchup or smoked this flavor before without burning it horribly when learning how to smoke.

went to grocery store nearby and saw they had grape in 250's and the new packaging so decided why not. af costs only 7.50 per 250g so i was happy about it. opened the package then the foil top covering. noticed the package was wet so i thought eh maybe during packaging so i clean it off. put it down and notice another thing of the juice so i clean it and look for holes. turns out the entire bottom of the package was not sealed on the re-sealable package AF gives. go re-seal it and it works great. it smells good. leak wasnt horrible so its still fairly wet. if it smokes well maybe i can sell it on here, cheaper than elsewhere and pay the shipping, maybe...
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:59 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

All in all, I am happy I haven't run into a bad batch and it sucks how everyone else has. My local shop doesn't have any bad batches (thank goodness) and I know for a fact cuz I know someone who has bought AF grape from the same store

But, I am pretty nervous to purchase AF grape online b/c I won't be able to see or smell it in person, like in a real shop
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:34 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

smoked great, i now love grape. first few times i tried it when i was learning hookah but mmmm this flavor is good and cheatp too. i could smoke for over about a month on under 20 bucks
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook