Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

confused. to dry shisha or not to dry it

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 30th, 2010, 11:12 AM
hdwindex
Hookah Nut

Default confused. to dry shisha or not to dry it

every hookah lounge i been at. i asked how they prepare their hookah. and when it gets to the tobbaco they tell me they pat down the tobbaco with paper towel so its not as wet. theory behind it, is that sugar is a fuel get rid of the fuel it wont burn as fast. but if that the case why is it that i hear sessions last long with a phunel or vortex bowl witch holds the sugar in place, ?

from experince i have found drying up the tobbaco the sessions last longer

not too dry but if its driping wet i dry it down to the level of nakhal witch i find is the best level of sugar..

anyone else encounter this. or been practicing this technique ?
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:22 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Default Re: confused. to dry shisha or not to dry it

i was looking at hookah-shisha, because they include smoke lengths as part of their descriptions.
The wetter brands (starbuzz, fantasia, Romman), are the ones listed with the longer smoke lengths.

Lately all I smoke is Desi Murli, and in the case of Desi Murli it could never last long enough
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

i don't believe that wetter shishas last longer. there are members on HP that get super long sessions from nakhla and tangiers
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:35 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Not a good idea. While I am not a huge fan of overly drippy tobacco the theory behind they drying is not sound.

Try lighting a bowl of sugar on fire. Now try lighting a bowl of sugar syrup on fire. The way that hookah is smoked has nothing to do with any "fuel" in the tobacco. The moisture in the tobacco and the volatile compounds are vaporized by indirect heat from the coals. The more moisture there is the longer it takes for the tobacco to completely dry out and become unable to produce smoke.
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:07 PM
hdwindex
Hookah Nut

after reading this. do you agree their might be a way to be in the middle . ? or not the wetter the better ?
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:26 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwindex View Post
after reading this. do you agree their might be a way to be in the middle . ? or not the wetter the better ?
I think that the manufacturer has a certain idea for what their product should be. If you don't like the product there are plenty more that offer something closer to your standards. The really drippy tobacco is often the more expensive stuff so why would you pay for all that "exotic" glycerin and then take it out of the tobacco? Why do extra work and spend more money in the form of paper towels with every session when it's really not going to change much?

The wetter is without doubt not always the better.
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
I think that the manufacturer has a certain idea for what their product should be. If you don't like the product there are plenty more that offer something closer to your standards. The really drippy tobacco is often the more expensive stuff so why would you pay for all that "exotic" glycerin and then take it out of the tobacco? Why do extra work and spend more money in the form of paper towels with every session when it's really not going to change much?

The wetter is without doubt not always the better.
Yeah i have as well noticed at a recent hookah bar that they squeeze a handful of the shisha and then sprinkle it in the bowl. They are using a different brand than i normally use, but on the flipside i never do this and my bowls seems to last longer, even with just as many people smoking from them. It seems silly to me to dry it out, but if you REALLY wanted to, i guess you could perhaps test the theory at home.. But i would highly recommend that if you do, use the same style of bowl and same brand and flavor for your test. Worst case scenario i guess you are only out a little bit of shisha.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook