Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Exoticas...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Exoticas...

My Exoticas are terrible. They have an awful smell while lighting; they crack, splinter, and split while lighting and when touched.

This is the batch of Exoticas, the "Good" batch from H-S.

I contacted them. They said that this is normal of Exoticas. I tried to argue, but to no avail, this si how the Exoticas are for them.

I am not, in any way, blaming H-S.com for anything.

I am strictly wondering; Do your Exoticas crack and splinter while being lit, do they break into pieces when you lightly touch them? Do they smell like you're dying of Carbon Monoxide poisoning? Mine do. Apparently it is Normal behavior.

I have an older batch, before the whole bad batch scare. They are literally perfect still.

SO what's the deal??
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:23 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: Exoticas...

Hehe like I said they do crack and splinter, but my coals have no taste. I asked Gabe if it was normal he said yes (the GOOD OLD batches)

Gabe says that the new and improved ones won't do that anymore. I suggest getting your coals from H-C or something cuz I got one of my boxes from there. H-C coals do crack and splinter, but absolutely no taste. It does have a smell while lighting, but it is more of a woodish smell since it is wood charcoal. But when their red hot=no smell.
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I want to say first and foremost that Exotica is the best coals I've ever used, period! With that being said, I have used nearly 75 sticks broken into 4 pieces each (around 300 1/4 stick pieces) and I have had exactly 3 -1/4 stick pieces crack after heating and splinter. So on average 1 out of 100. I will say that if you leave them on the heat too long they get cracks all over the coal, but rarely ever break apart. I guess hearing all these people having trouble, I'm glad I bought 6 Kilo's when they first came out.
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

i have had a few break on me before, some on my latest batch. really even though they did that i had no bad problems with it and didnt get a headache from smoking them like some people said they got.

the silver/white stuff people said where so bad on the coals i smoked those ones and they where actually more of a pain in the ass to break than normal ones. gabe says its supposed to be the binder in the coals that keeps them together and considering the ones which had that on them where actually harder to break than the ones without it i would believe it was true.

in the same box i had the silver ones there where weak ones which i could break into quarters with one hand and broke apart when ashing but these where only the top few pieces and it didnt bother me much. other than that the coals i have been getting are just fine.
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:05 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I haven't had any problems with smell. They smell like wood because they are made out of wood. That is normal. After they have been lit fully= no smell.

They do break and they splinter on occasion. It's normal. I don't know about "terrible smells " and your reference to carbon monixide doesn't make sense. (because carbon monxide is a silent killer, you can't smell it) but it has a natural wood burn smell.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:50 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

This is odd...I thought the bad batch ordeal had been taken care of. Maybe Gabriel could chime in? I recieved one of the free offers of Exotica coals from Devil's Playground. I've been using it for the past few weeks, and I haven't experienced any of the negative things you mentioned. My Exotica's stay intact, heat properly, and perform great.

I was about to order a box of Exotica coals from hookah-shisha soon, but now that I've seen your post, I'm hesitant to buy. The last thing I want to do is pay $8.00 plus shipping, only to have a bad box of Exotica coals. That would suck.
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Mukle
Hookah Newbie

i bought some last month and used them 3 times. they splintered a bit but it didnt seem to be a problem, just some lines in the coal. 2 times i got a slight head ache. I havent been doing a lot of smoking at home so ive been using quicklites but when i did use them thats what happened.
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:02 PM
ExoticImports
Vendor

Hey Guys, hope all are well. Regarding bad coals, as stated before there are no more bad coals on the market. Since that bad batch we had almost 2-3 months ago now, everything has been perfect. Devils does not have bad batches, actually no one has. Regarding breaking, we have heard it breaking sometimes but we have fixed that issue as well. The new and improved exotica get released march 1 2008. It is going to be stronger, harder, longer lasting, still no taste as before and now that molding line that has caused some breakage is removed so there shall no longer be any breakage at all..... You will know it is the new batch as the new ones will have a upc symbol on it.

Please everyone, due to the fact that Exoticas are natural, please cook it all the way. I say 4 minutes side one and 1-2 mins on the other side. Make sure coal is completely cooked so you wont taste the wood.. There are no chemicals in the coals so there should be no issues. Hope this helps. Sorry I havent been online alot lately but that was due to me getting ready to release the new items as well as the improving process of the coals.

Also, online, there are no more bad coals. All coals are good, HS has perfect ones, Devils Playground has perfect ones, Don Bubba has perfect ones, Nazar Hookahs, JR Hookahs, Texas Wholesale, and the list goes on and on.. (Sorry if I missed anyone.) All coals are now tested daily. Also, due to the fact that it is natural, please keep the coals in a dry place. Humidity and coals are not a good combo

Always remember you can contact me via email at gabriel@exoticimportsusa.com

Thank you

Gabriel
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:12 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticImports
Hey Guys, hope all are well. Regarding bad coals, as stated before there are no more bad coals on the market. Since that bad batch we had almost 2-3 months ago now, everything has been perfect. Devils does not have bad batches, actually no one has. Regarding breaking, we have heard it breaking sometimes but we have fixed that issue as well. The new and improved exotica get released march 1 2008. It is going to be stronger, harder, longer lasting, still no taste as before and now that molding line that has caused some breakage is removed so there shall no longer be any breakage at all..... You will know it is the new batch as the new ones will have a upc symbol on it.

Please everyone, due to the fact that Exoticas are natural, please cook it all the way. I say 4 minutes side one and 1-2 mins on the other side. Make sure coal is completely cooked so you wont taste the wood.. There are no chemicals in the coals so there should be no issues. Hope this helps. Sorry I havent been online alot lately but that was due to me getting ready to release the new items as well as the improving process of the coals.

Also, online, there are no more bad coals. All coals are good, HS has perfect ones, Devils has perfect ones, Bubba has perfect ones and the list goes on. (Sorry if I missed anyone.) All coals are now tested daily. Also, due to the fact that it is natural, please keep the coals in a dry place. Humidity and coals are not a good combo

Always remember you can contact me via email at gabriel@exoticimportsusa.com

Thank you

Gabriel
would you say it might be better to purchase them directly from you guys instead of another vendor? Because Zensilk obviously got a bad batch from hookah-shisha. This has me hesitant from purchasing your coals from them.
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:21 PM
ExoticImports
Vendor

Not really. It would be the same. We work very closely with HS and I have spoken to them regarding this issue. Only way I say he might have received bad coals if the box got wet in shipping which can cause weird things. Coals, especially good compressed natural coals, not saying only exoticas but all of the described coals are sensitive to water. We leave it up to you where to shop as either way it comes from us and it is being tested daily. Thank you
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:36 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Why are my coals so bad then? I don't even touch them and they break!

They are fully lit, obviously. Red Hot, some ashing before i use them.

UPDATE:
Well at least now i am getting a replacement, let's see if they are back on par.
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

I posted about splintering coals months back and was bashed for it, now Exotic Imports is quoted as saying there have been some reports of splintering and its being addressed Hmmmm. I knew I wasnt crazy :P
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:05 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I opened a new box this weekend, 1 stick did crack while cooking, but another stick beside that one was fine.

Either way, I still like mine.

But it's good it's now (splitting) being addressed.
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe
I posted about splintering coals months back and was bashed for it, now Exotic Imports is quoted as saying there have been some reports of splintering and its being addressed Hmmmm. I knew I wasnt crazy :P
same here, i was expecting to be bashed.

i got 2 boxes, the top row is usually not that great. im nearly finished with one of the boxes.

happy smoking..
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:26 PM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Top row of my exoticas had a strange odor. But it wasn't nothing of a wood smell, just very strange. After that first row it went back to normal and they still crack, but overall no taste or funky smell.

/root
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:35 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

He's sending me a New Box.. we shall see how it goes. I will report back to you guys immediately.
Old February 6th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I have been using Exoticas for a while now, and I really like them ... they always provide me with a good amount of heat and do not alter the taste of the shisha.
I have had a couple smell a little funny while lighting, but I just light them all the way and they are fine.
Out of ALL the Exoticas I have used, I have only had maybe 1 in 100 split in half, not a big deal in my opinion. They usually hold together well and ash pretty easily.
Plus they don't roll around! haha .. That is a big plus! You don't want coals rolling off your bowl!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook