Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

this is the worst thing that could ever happen to us hookah smokers.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 31st, 2010, 01:06 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: this is the worst thing that could ever happen to us hookah smokers.

Ohh man My Cigarette trafficking Al Qaeda ties will be mad at this one!!

Last edited by ZenSilk; March 31st, 2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Had to add a SMilie, don't wanna get bagged and tagged.
Old March 31st, 2010, 01:25 PM
whordehey
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: this is the worst thing that could ever happen to us hookah smokers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
The reason for editing is the best part
Old March 31st, 2010, 01:34 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

Ah, thank god. My local shops have very limited stock and the others are very over priced.
Old March 31st, 2010, 01:40 PM
gigdarling25
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to gigdarling25

man, what a roller coaster. i started reading it and my heart kinda fell. thank goodness this doesn't affect moassel. now as for that 775%....
Old March 31st, 2010, 01:57 PM
Allan
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Allan

i hate the new laws!
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:50 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

Hell at this rate we all need to become pros at growing our own tobacco and then making the mixes ourselves. Anyone have some Virginia tobacco seeds for sale? lol
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:35 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

This is such crap, and we all know its only a matter of time before shisha will be banned in some form or another. With all the things that the Obama administration has been passing lately i can't help but think of the movie Big Brother. This is the beginning of anarchy in the USA
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:04 PM
rlynge
Hookah Nut

Hey guys I found this article. Check it out: http://theeagerbeaver.wordpress.com/...h-r-4439-dead/

Well, seems there is some good new swirling around our little community. It appears that all of the efforts by the pipe smoking community and others may have paid off. The following is a bulletin straight from the International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association (IPCPR) dated today, Feb. 26, 2010 (Thank You Smokers Forum for bringing this to my attention):
"At this time, H.R. 4439, proposed federal legislation to increase the pipe tobacco tax to the same rate of the RYO tax, has little life or attention in Congress. Lobbyists from the IPCPR the Pipe Tobacco Council (a division of the Cigar Association of America (CAA)), and others have met with key members of Congress to discuss and detail our industry’s opposition to the bill. H.R. 4439 is currently sitting in the U.S. House of Representatives’ Ways & Means Committee. No hearings or further action has been scheduled at this time nor do we expect any immediate action. Several more meetings are scheduled with Congress in the coming days. "
It seems evident that FOR THE MOMENT, we can continue on in our hobby without fear of being taxed to death. I do urge everyone to continue to be diligent, keep abreast of all that is happening. I think we need to look at this as a lesson that complacency could lead to our downfall. Gone are the days that we can relax with our pipes and puff away without a care in the world. If we want to continue that puffing, we need to be ready for the next attack, and rest assured, there will be another.
You can keep your eyes peeled here for more information, though I know this particular tidbit circulated long before I got a chance to mention it.
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:04 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

We can't just sit back and be relieved that this doesn't effect us. I know its too late now, but i would have signed a petition for this, sent a letter, called a congressman or 2. just like the 775% tax increase. it's not a matter of whether or not this directly effects us, it's the steadily slipping slope effect...

THEY CAME FIRST for the snus/cigarrette/dip users,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a snus/cigarrette/dip users.

...et cetera, et cetera...

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:10 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

here's a petition i found directed at the president vetoing the act

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/us-...-of-2009-s1147

i just signed it, and i urge you to as well, or link to a more noticeable one. don't know if it'll do any good, but it feels better than nothing
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:42 PM
dreadscought
Hookah Nut

Already living it in Canada.
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:45 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRpunx14 View Post
We can't just sit back and be relieved that this doesn't effect us. I know its too late now, but i would have signed a petition for this, sent a letter, called a congressman or 2. just like the 775% tax increase. it's not a matter of whether or not this directly effects us, it's the steadily slipping slope effect...

THEY CAME FIRST for the snus/cigarrette/dip users,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a snus/cigarrette/dip users.

...et cetera, et cetera...

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.
Many of us actually did. I know that I sent letters personally and many others were aware of this problem.
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:57 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
What is next, hookah smoker's getting waterboarded until they confess their ties with Al Qaeda by doing online orders? Its looks like we might have to confess at that point!
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:05 PM
shanaku
Hookah Nut

I am one of the folks that has been fighting this bill. Thankfully it will exclude Moassel, cigars, whole leaf tobacco and pipe tobacco. The big tobacco magnates are mostly behind this bill due to their loss of revenue over internet smokes and chew. The taxes on smokes have pushed many to buy on line and the big companies are in a snit over it. This is a devastating bill for the Native American tobacco industry. Sorry guys... Obama sucks on Marlboros and he sucks in office.

WE ARE THE FEW - THE PROUD - THE DARK SIDE!
WE ARE THE BLACK LEAF BROTHERHOOD
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:57 PM
RuFFandWanduh
Hookah Nut

We signed the petition and added this note

"America was based on land of the free.. free enterprise, everyone from all nations welcomed, this is the melting ***. The U.S. government tried prohibition act on Alcohol, we see how this turned out. How is it you can control what flavor of tobacco I smoke, If the case is ooh your just marketing to kids, then I say bull, I don't think anyone that could be reading this oppose to what if all you could drink is water, you can't have any little flavor packets, you can't have any sodas, any coffee, any tea, which all of those beverages have things in there that aren't good for you. This is America "land of the free" or is it?"

Please support this petition
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/us-...-of-2009-s1147
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:01 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
looks like our letters didn't do anything guys, better have your local shop stock up on shisha tobacco.

The Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 ("PACT Act") (S.1147) passed the Senate with a unanimous vote on March 11, 2010. On March 17, 2010, it passed the House.
President Obama will sign it into law very soon. After Pres. Obama signs the bill, we will have 90 days until the bill takes effect. This legislation contains a provision which will make ALL cigarettes, RYO, MYO and smokeless tobacco products nonmailable.
This law means you will no longer be able to purchase these products by mail-order, telephone order, or on the Internet, because the United States Postal Service, along with UPS, Fed-Ex and all other carriers will be prohibited by law from delivering your orders to you. [FONT=times new roman, times, serif]
[/FONT]
what a bunch of B.S. our government has become. i honestly don't think president obama is going to make it through his 4 year term if he keeps passing stupid shit like this. i'm so mad right now.

first my cloves, now my shisha tobacco. minors DO NOT save up $60.00 and buy cartons of cigarettes online. minors scrounge up 5 dollars and have their older brother buy them a pack.

i really hope that obama doesn't sign this (doubt), or the economy gets so bad that they have to start mailing tobacco again.
since it was unanimous it doesnt matter if obama signs it or not, it is law now (or it might have to go back if he vetos but they have the votes so it doesnt matter, it will pass again to over ride the veto)

i would bet that the cig companies have a hand in this like PM did in the flavored cig ban, the people paying 8 bucks a pack or a can now have to pay it and cant mail order to get it at 3-4 per thus allowing the cig companies to get more profit. maybe i am just looking for a conspiracy where its not but seeing as PM supported the flavored cig ban when they didnt make any (and they pushed it from when camel was really big in it, that seems rather logical)

-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook