Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

2 questions for a new guy.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 1st, 2010, 04:16 PM
Boggler0
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: 2 questions for a new guy.

Thanks for all the quick feedback guys. I appreciate it!
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:29 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggler0 View Post
Well, if i do decide to wait for the MNH stuff to come through [which i probably wont, i already filed a dispute with my CCcomp last night, gonna just try to force cancel that charge] then i had planned on making a 'lip' on the glass screen with some epoxy putty [like that clay-looking stuff the late great billy mays advertised.] To prevent slippage. And I would be using it with a scalli mod anyways.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's nice to know any question can be answered by someone with experience here.
dont be so quick to assume that putty is safe when heated, unless the msds says it is you should assume it is bad. many chemicals will off gas at low teps and can really hurt you. also i doubt the putty would hold well very long unless you give the glass a tooth
-matt
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:20 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

I may be completely wrong but with a glass screen with only one hole in the center and the coals place around it wouldn't that ruin your drag because you would be pulling in fresh air directly through the center only and not from the sides?
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:23 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewzi View Post
I may be completely wrong but with a glass screen with only one hole in the center and the coals place around it wouldn't that ruin your drag because you would be pulling in fresh air directly through the center only and not from the sides?
in theory yes but i have seen vids and all of it working perfectly fine, no idea how, i guess part of it is that there is probably not a solid seal around the edge so some air comes from there too but also some of it is probably the Venturi effect
-matt
Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:05 AM
shanaku
Hookah Nut

Venturi effect, thats familiar... what does it mean? I am interested in this idea of glass for a screen and could see how it would conduct heat. But I wonder how it would work with traditional moassels...

WE ARE THE FEW - THE PROUD - THE DARK SIDE!
WE ARE THE BLACK LEAF BROTHERHOOD
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:22 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

If you were to use a MNH style glass screen then I would assume you are probably not getting the optimal benefit if you are using a Phunnel, Vortex, or Crown Jewel since you are pulling most of your air down the center and not over/through the baking shisha. I don't know how much difference it would make but I believe it would be a "Non-Zero" percentage.

However if you are using an Egyptian, mod bowl, Phunnel with Scalli, or Crown Classic then the screen shouldn't effect you at all since you are still drawing the air over/through the shisha.

Oh... and for more info on the Venturi Effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:34 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

to simplify venturi effect its how some paint guns work where the air blows over a nozzle and pulls paint out (iirc)

spanner i agree that on paper it shouldnt work but i have seen vids of them being used with great success, the phunnel bowl as a whole seems like it shouldnt work as well as it does though in my mind (and i am a pretty physical/logical minded person and can see how stuff works easily)

-matt
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

on the headaches topic, also make sure (if you're smoking indoors) that you have decent ventilation. several times my girlfriend has gotten headaches almost to the point of nausea if the room gets way too hazy
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:27 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

After thinking about you must be right matt. I didn't take into consideration that a glass screen wouldn't make a perfect seal so it would have the same effect as holes in the foil.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Boggler0
Hookah Newbie

Well I'm aware of the effect of having a big hole over the spire in the middle of a funnel, however, I ordered a scalli with it, to be used almost religiously. However, now noting that i FINALLY got a mail back from MNH but I basically told him to shove it and keep it. As soon as the payment is cancelled with my CC, i'm gonna grab a vortex from **********, and possibly a brand spankin new hookah!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
-jordan-

Funnel bowls usually demand a lot more heat and tobacco, unless you can get your hands on an alien phunnel, or small tangiers phunnel.. But those are expensive.. I'd recommend a vortex bowl, reasonable requirement of heat, windcover helps. And your good to go. And doesn't need much shisha.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

o if i didnt mention it yet here once you find what ever bowl you like, especially if it is the vortex, but another one or 2. the vortexes seem to be kinda weaker to me just because they are a thinner material due to the design, i broke 2 vortexes since august both times when i was drying them... granted having concrete floors doesnt help my situation either lol

-matt
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Yeah i just picked up two vortexes from hookah-shisha.com, and im with you matt. I always buy at least two because nothing is worse than breaking your one and only bowl.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:02 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ya i am waiting for a package from he who shall not be named for now cause i broke mine 2 days ago, at least i am home for the weekend visiting the rents for a few days so i probably wont be smoking as much depending when i get with my friend

-matt
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:58 PM
Ignited
Hookah Nut

Get a vortex and windcover, you will be set with that.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Boggler0
Hookah Newbie

Tarik from MNH e-mailed me back and said he was gonna ship stuff out today, i basically told him to shove it.
I got myself a full refund, and I am online right now, with a vortex in my cart.

Last edited by Boggler0; April 2nd, 2010 at 07:04 PM.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook