Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

are the aliens over priced??

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 1st, 2010, 02:26 AM
unicycleboy3190
Hookah Pro

Default are the aliens over priced??

to be 100% hon i think that the aliens are over priced
like everyone loves the tangiers phunnels but you cant get them very easy but why bump up the the alien that cost more
i just think it would be better if the aliens were to be priced around the range of the small phunnels other then way more or price the size like the small to large phunnels do

all im saying is that the aliens are going to sell eather way but just if your tryin to compare to the tangiers phunnel then i would price if in com to the bowl im wanting to replace due to the fact that they are so hard to find
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:42 AM
hookahfire
Hookah Nut

Default Re: are the aliens over prices??

I think so to.
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:45 AM
Allan
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Allan

i tihnk he put them up for that much because the tangiers mini i think it was,is not being made anymore
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:49 AM
D-Szlos
Hookah Pro

Over priced? Why buy a Ferrari F40, when you can buy a corvette Zo6? Value is in the eye of the beholder. To you it may be overpriced, to others it is reasonable.
Old April 1st, 2010, 03:10 AM
davidbondok
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Szlos View Post
Over priced? Why buy a Ferrari F40, when you can buy a corvette Zo6? Value is in the eye of the beholder. To you it may be overpriced, to others it is reasonable.
Wow! Well said.
Old April 1st, 2010, 03:29 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Hand made items, in small batches, are very expensive to produce. Just ask Santino over at Crown Hookahs about custom work. I am not saying that I know 100% what John's process or costs are but I would bet that his introductory price is probably pretty close to what he is paying for them. When they go up in price to normal I would imagine that he is going to be making an average profit or else he wouldn't be in business.In the end we are talking about a niche, high end product much like an F40 or Zo6. In those situations you are paying extra cause you want style, speed and handeling. For the Alien you are paying for a phunnel with the ability to save shisha and do small sessions easier.
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:38 AM
mitchard
Banned

If you want to see overpriced, try to find a Tangiers mini. This bowl works just as well for about half of the price the real mini's are going for.

Definitely worth $20. The amount of tobacco it saved me will more than make up for that price within the first week of smoking.
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:19 AM
thomas_j_smith
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thomas_j_smith Send a message via Yahoo to thomas_j_smith

Quote:
+1 I have two aliens now!
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:02 AM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by oSPANNERo View Post
Hand made items, in small batches, are very expensive to produce. Just ask Santino over at Crown Hookahs about custom work. I am not saying that I know 100% what John's process or costs are but I would bet that his introductory price is probably pretty close to what he is paying for them. When they go up in price to normal I would imagine that he is going to be making an average profit or else he wouldn't be in business.In the end we are talking about a niche, high end product much like an F40 or Zo6. In those situations you are paying extra cause you want style, speed and handeling. For the Alien you are paying for a phunnel with the ability to save shisha and do small sessions easier.
good post
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:07 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Apples to oranges my friend. Santino is doing glass work. That is in a league of its own and believe with the quality of his products it could be more. John has a freaking bowl like everyone else. It is just smaller for shorter sessions. No reason to have it at $20. You can get an Egyptian bowl for $3 and a vortex for $10. Why spend $20?
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:31 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
Apples to oranges my friend. Santino is doing glass work. That is in a league of its own and believe with the quality of his products it could be more. John has a freaking bowl like everyone else. It is just smaller for shorter sessions. No reason to have it at $20. You can get an Egyptian bowl for $3 and a vortex for $10. Why spend $20?
I am not contesting if you should spend $20 on a bowl. That is back to the "Should I buy a Ferrari or Corvette" idea.

I am simply saying that small batch production costs a lot of money. And even thousands of units can be considered "small batch."

For example I recently priced out T-Shirts for my unit with a logo on the back. They were $15-$25 each depending on the vendor and quantity ordered. In that case why don't I go to Old Navy and buy a 5 dollar t-shirt? Because I am not producing Thousands/millions of t-shirts and I want them made to my specifications. The design cost is spread over a lower number of items. The "factory" has to retool frequently since they are producing many designs. They also have to carry more raw materials since they are making a multitude of different designs at any given time. Not to mention all my labor is here in the US where there is minimum wage and higher cost of materials and production. All of these costs are passed down to the consumer.

A very similar concept is when we talk about a single bowl of shisha costing $25 at a hookah bar. It was expressed very eloquently in a different thread but we have to look beyond the cost of the actual shisha vs. the whole operation.

I agree we are talking apples and oranges but I think its more of the "Alien" Apple vs the "Egyptian" Orange.
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:53 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
I am not contesting if you should spend $20 on a bowl. That is back to the "Should I buy a Ferrari or Corvette" idea.

I am simply saying that small batch production costs a lot of money. And even thousands of units can be considered "small batch."

For example I recently priced out T-Shirts for my unit with a logo on the back. They were $15-$25 each depending on the vendor and quantity ordered. In that case why don't I go to Old Navy and buy a 5 dollar t-shirt? Because I am not producing Thousands/millions of t-shirts and I want them made to my specifications. The design cost is spread over a lower number of items. The "factory" has to retool frequently since they are producing many designs. They also have to carry more raw materials since they are making a multitude of different designs at any given time. Not to mention all my labor is here in the US where there is minimum wage and higher cost of materials and production. All of these costs are passed down to the consumer.

A very similar concept is when we talk about a single bowl of shisha costing $25 at a hookah bar. It was expressed very eloquently in a different thread but we have to look beyond the cost of the actual shisha vs. the whole operation.

I agree we are talking apples and oranges but I think its more of the "Alien" Apple vs the "Egyptian" Orange.
I see where you are coming from. My argument is this, it's a freaking bowl, lol. Nothing special to it, just a small bowl. If they are charging you that much where you have to charge $20 for a bowl, don't you think you would try and find someone else? I know I would.
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:02 AM
dan10
Hookah Newbie

I love this bowl. Last night I smoked tangiers from it for a solid two hours before my friends and I decided to do something else. It still had some (not much) useable tobacco in it and was smoking perfectly when we quit. The fact that this bowl, while pricey, uses very little tobacco and produces the quality and duration of smoke that it does is simply astounding. I know this isn't a review section, but I wanted to put my two cents in on why I think the bowl is worth the cost. I usually smoke shorter sessions, and it's perfect for me. To each his own, though. I could understand the view that 20 bucks is pricey for a bowl.
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:12 AM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Why is the font so large? I feel like this entire thread is being shouted.
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:15 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

haha and it's all red outlined too!
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:27 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Alot of good points here. Your all more or less correct in your arguments, you just have different angles.

Here's another:

the mark-up, is based on 1. Exclusiveness, John is the only one this bowl is being produced for and 2. Supply and demand, alot of buzz about this bowl pre launch

if sales drop because the price is too high, he can give up exclusiveness in order to buy the bowl from the manufacturer at lower price and in turn he could lower his.
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:47 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Sounds like Econ class to me Ari... you crazy psych man you!
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:48 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

i dont know where you got 20$ from because i spent roughly 16$ on it and its the best bowl ive smoked out of to this date.
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:52 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuworldorder View Post
i dont know where you got 20$ from because i spent roughly 16$ on it and its the best bowl ive smoked out of to this date.
Rounded up to $20. Not counting discounts,

http://www.**********.com/The-HJ-Ali...owl-121212.htm

Says $18.99 originally $25
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:32 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

the price might be alittle steep but it uses about 1/4th of my small and im going to attempt to smoke it for 2 hours today which would be 2/3 the length of my small. just think about how much that will save you if you smoke every day (which i dont)
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:12 AM
Ignited
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Terrible analogy
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:14 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignited View Post
Terrible analogy
Seriously? That comment was unnecessary. Why say something like that for someone giving there opinion on what the OP asked?
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:23 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Terrible analogy
Why do you figure its a terrible analogy? And what bearing does it have on the discussion? Do you feel like the analogy takes away from the validity of the argument or perhaps the comprehension of the points being made?
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:26 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

why get a km when you can get a qt for 1/2 the price or get a chinese hookah for 20$? i mean seriously people
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:27 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Terrible analogy
terrible? it was a perfect analogy for the point he was trying to make. I think you should explain why you think its terrible instead of just giving an opinion that has no reasoning attached to it. Maybe you have a valid counter argument but you failed to include it.
if you explain why you think its terrible that would be much better than just blurting out "terrible analogy"
Share with your friends on facebook