Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

are the aliens over priced??

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 1st, 2010, 11:32 AM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

Default Re: are the aliens over prices??

IMO yes it is
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM
Ignited
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
Seriously? That comment was unnecessary. Why say something like that for someone giving there opinion on what the OP asked?
Because it holds no representation of what he was trying to portray. A Ferrari F40 is in no way comparable to a z06. Quality of build, parts, amount of engineering behind one car and the other are astronomical. If what we are talking about is an item based on parts used and labor to make it; the price assigned to it that analogy holds no ground.
With hookah bowls, clearly small tangier funnel bowls are of the same if not better quality than the alien bowls and they are sold for less. The materials used are very very close, the workmanship is very similar and the skill needed to make them is identical; however, the price difference remains 5+ dollars. The topic of this thread is if the item is overpriced or not, the answer is clearly yes.
I would say a better analogy would be something like a HDMI cable, one made by Monster Cable Company and a Premium one made by Monoprice. The materials are almost identical, the manufacturing process is similar, and they both yield the same end result. Yet one company charges way more because...well because they know they can get away with it.
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:42 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignited View Post
Because it holds no representation of what he was trying to portray. A Ferrari F40 is in no way comparable to a z06. Quality of build, parts, amount of engineering behind one car and the other are astronomical. If what we are talking about is an item based on parts used and labor to make it; the price assigned to it that analogy holds no ground.
With hookah bowls, clearly small tangier funnel bowls are of the same if not better quality than the alien bowls and they are sold for less. The materials used are very very close, the workmanship is very similar and the skill needed to make them is identical; however, the price difference remains 5+ dollars. The topic of this thread is if the item is overpriced or not, the answer is clearly yes.
I would say a better analogy would be something like a HDMI cable, one made by Monster Cable Company and a Premium one made by Monoprice. The materials are almost identical, the manufacturing process is similar, and they both yield the same end result. Yet one company charges way more because...well because they know they can get away with it.
Thank you for the clarification. You should have stated this to begin with so all of this would have been avoided.

After he stated all this, can we keep this thread on topic.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:56 AM
mitchard
Banned

Man, people get all butthurt on here over nothing. Lets please not turn another Alien thread into a shitfest like last time.
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:41 PM
Laimis
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to Laimis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchard View Post
If you want to see overpriced, try to find a Tangiers mini. This bowl works just as well for about half of the price the real mini's are going for.

Definitely worth $20. The amount of tobacco it saved me will more than make up for that price within the first week of smoking.

What do people mean by saying "saves tobacco"? How can it save? Instead of one long session u smoke 2 short ones right?
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Laimis
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to Laimis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignited View Post
agree!
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:49 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimis View Post
What do people mean by saying "saves tobacco"? How can it save? Instead of one long session u smoke 2 short ones right?
Saves tobacco because it uses less for a session. You do not smoke 2 short sessions, unless you want to. I haven't read reviews on it, but I guess it would last 45 minutes per session, maybe less.
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM
mitchard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
Saves tobacco because it uses less for a session. You do not smoke 2 short sessions, unless you want to. I haven't read reviews on it, but I guess it would last 45 minutes per session, maybe less.
I am getting an hour and forty five minutes to two hours per bowl with Tangiers.
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:56 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
I am getting an hour and forty five minutes to two hours per bowl with Tangiers.
What about a tobacco everyone likes? JK, have you tried any others with it or just Tangiers?
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:57 PM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

That would make sense since The Tang is a ton more heat tolerant!
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:02 PM
mitchard
Banned

Just Tangiers so far. By the way, you should all like it.

I'll try some AF and Nak today as well. I know they probably wont work as well though.

If you are a Tangiers smoker, this bowl is a must have.
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:03 PM
unicycleboy3190
Hookah Pro

idk why people are getting so mad or upset on this thread cause hookahpro is all about honesty and that was my honest thoughts on the bowls
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:11 PM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

so many people wasting their breath (i mean fingers). just let people buy it who cares. you don't want to spend 20 don't do it
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:39 PM
Thecheezanator
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Thecheezanator Send a message via MSN to Thecheezanator Send a message via Yahoo to Thecheezanator

I just have to say.. Yes the alien funnel bowl is new, but what people seem to realize is that its JUST A BOWL.
I can honestly say my opinion is in no way biased because 1. I've never ordered from ********** (So i'm not a fanboy) and 2. I have no idea what caused all the drama in the forum.

The hype surrounding this bowl was kinda silly.. I mean yeah, its a new product. But its ONLY function was to use less tobacco. People seem to think its going to have some kind of superpower.

I personally don't think it's worth it, because I love my ten dollar vortex and can underpack it if necessary.
If you are one of the people who swear by funnel bowls, then this may be the best thing sinced sliced bread. But I don't understand why one tiny little bowl can cause such drama amoung adults.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like people are going to extremes when it comes to supporting or not supporting this bowl. You either praise it or wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Maybe everything I've said is completely wrong, but Its my opinion and I felt that I needed to express it. Don't attck me because I'll ignore your reply. :]

To everyone who bought one: I hope you like it and I hope it lives up to your expectations, because it wasnt a bad product idea.

That is all..
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:53 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Quote:
Man, people get all butthurt on here over nothing. Lets please not turn another Alien thread into a shitfest like last time.
Butthurt? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and they are freely expressing it. What good is it if everyone had the same opinion about a product. You can staunchly defend the product, while someone else doesnt like it, while someone else could care less. We are a diverse crowd.
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:42 PM
chewymatingcall
Hookah Pro

Default Re: are the aliens over priced??

I got mine since I don't have a phunnel and i really want to try tangiers. Therefore, I bought a phunnel, the hype made me want to buy it, eventually I think it came to that he said he would sell it for 26 and sold it for 19
In my mind it made it seem cheaper. I should have taken a step back and realized it is still expensive, but hopefully it will save shisha
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:48 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymatingcall View Post
I got mine since I don't have a phunnel and i really want to try tangiers. Therefore, I bought a phunnel, the hype made me want to buy it, eventually I think it came to that he said he would sell it for 26 and sold it for 19
In my mind it made it seem cheaper. I should have taken a step back and realized it is still expensive, but hopefully it will save shisha
i cant speak for every tobacco but it saves alot over the small phunnel. the alien probably uses about 1/5th that of the small. it gets about 1/2 the duration of a small but it uses 2/5ths the amount of small. but that is just my "opinion"
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:00 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

i used a mini 3 dollar Egyptian today on some Orange Soda and it lasted about 2 hours 10 minutes. all about the packer. that's what she said.
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:13 PM
Maylene
Hookah Nut

I mean honestly it's your decision if it's worth it. If you'll get good use out of it, and it functions as you expect, then it'll be worth it. If you don't like the price, there are many alternatives in the "hookah market" Vortex's, Small Havana phunnel's, and the good o'l Egyptian (ranging from $2.50 to 10.00).

The entire point of the Alien was to provide a mini tangiers phunnel alternative as the mini's are hard to come by. There are people how would spend more that $18 for mini phunnel.

Small supply + High Demand = Higher cost.
Large supply + Lower demand = Lower cost.

Last edited by Maylene; April 1st, 2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:25 PM
ronhappy123456
Hookah Newbie

*** in no way am I a fanboy***

I ordered this bowl because of the hype it was getting.

When I got it I tried it out right away and in all honestly, this thing pays for itself after buying two cans of 250 g of tobacco. This thing uses such little tobacco and still goes strong after 45 minutes.
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:39 PM
DanyalAkkaya
Hookah Pro

I don't think it is over priced, I think it was intelligently priced. You have to see the situation through a vendors eyes, John knows damn well that alot of people wanted a tangiers mini funnel, and since those were discontinued he knew everyone would want a small but now due to the shortage you can barely get one of those. Now he has us right where he wants us with the introduction of his new alien and he knows that people are going to be dying to get one since is the next best bowl (to some)

I would have honestly done the same thing.

"Everyone's got a price, and everyone's gonna pay"
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook