Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Shiny Side Down

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 5th, 2008, 12:33 AM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

Default Shiny Side Down

I've always done it,
I've always heard it,

just never heard it explained..
My curious mind wanted an explanation of this all around known fact about foil..
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:37 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Shiny Side Down

Supposedly its meant for better heat transfer to the shisha in the bowl. The shiny side up would cause the shisha to take a little longer to get heate up. In my experience, there's no difference at all. I've tried smoking both ways, and I still get the same flavor and same thickness of smoke. But some claim that it makes a difference if you have it on the wrong way. I think it's BS. The small distnce from the foil to the shisha would make it heat up quickly regardless of what side you put the foil on.
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:42 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

one is supposed to reflect heat but according to people who make the foil it makes little to no difference on which side you use on how it transfers heat or how it cooks whatever unless its the nonstick wrap reynolds has.
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:50 AM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

interesting...

I would think that the shiny side would only reflect more light, not necessarily heat, but obviously I'm no physics major...
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:51 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

I've also heard that shiny side down is better for health reasons...Like shiny side up releases chemicals or something...

Haha but don't quote me on that cuz I could be wrong!
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:56 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

There are supposedly two sides for a reason, not just cause they like Yin and Yang.

With the shiny side in, it is suppose to reflect more heat coming from the item itself, keeping the item on the inside hot.
When the shiny side is out, it is suppose to reflect heat away, slowing the heating process.

The coals are so close to the foil and the tobacco, and there are also holes in the foil that heat goes through, so foil side would not make a difference at all.
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:01 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk
There are supposedly two sides for a reason, not just cause they like Yin and Yang.

With the shiny side in, it is suppose to reflect more heat coming from the item itself, keeping the item on the inside hot.
When the shiny side is out, it is suppose to reflect heat away, slowing the heating process.

The coals are so close to the foil and the tobacco, and there are also holes in the foil that heat goes through, so foil side would not make a difference at all.
actually there are 2 sides for a reason it is true, its not because of heat reflection but its because of how they make it. in yet another aluminum topic i quote the makers of reynolds wrap

Quote:
Which side of Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil should I use, the shiny or the dull side?

Actually, it makes no difference which side of the aluminum foil you use—both sides do the same fine job of cooking, freezing and storing food. The difference in appearance between dull and shiny is due to the foil manufacturing process. In the final rolling step, two layers of foil are passed through the rolling mill at the same time. The side coming in contact with the mill's highly polished steel rollers becomes shiny. The other side, not coming in contact with the heavy rollers, comes out with a dull or matte finish.

The exception is when using Reynolds Wrap® Release® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil. The non-stick coating is applied during manufacturing to the dull side of the foil. Always place the non-stick (dull) side toward the food.
http://www.alcoacareers.com/reynolds...3&prod_id=1796
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:52 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauer
Quote:

actually there are 2 sides for a reason it is true, its not because of heat reflection but its because of how they make it. in yet another aluminum topic i quote the makers of reynolds wrap

Quote:
Which side of Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil should I use, the shiny or the dull side?

Actually, it makes no difference which side of the aluminum foil you use—both sides do the same fine job of cooking, freezing and storing food. The difference in appearance between dull and shiny is due to the foil manufacturing process. In the final rolling step, two layers of foil are passed through the rolling mill at the same time. The side coming in contact with the mill's highly polished steel rollers becomes shiny. The other side, not coming in contact with the heavy rollers, comes out with a dull or matte finish.

The exception is when using Reynolds Wrap® Release® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil. The non-stick coating is applied during manufacturing to the dull side of the foil. Always place the non-stick (dull) side toward the food.
haha, boom is the man!

+1
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:11 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Wow damn man!

I was just going off something i heard, but your's is damn research!

Nice!
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:24 AM
ExoticImports
Vendor

I do shiny up
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:03 AM
OBY
Hookah Newbie

Gabe is awesome! Going against the grain!
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:14 AM
cast1e06
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to cast1e06

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauer
Quote:

Quote:

lol what elose could we say boompretty much nailed it
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

I go shiny down cause thats what my Kung Fu Master taught me
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Stagegeek582
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Stagegeek582 Send a message via Yahoo to Stagegeek582

I dont know about how it affects smoking shisha but its recommended that foil be used with the dull side towards food when using it in cooking.
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:47 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

The only time you should be concerned about the shiny side is when the foil is wrapped around your head.
Shiny side out blocks the Illuminati mind-control rays.

Old February 7th, 2008, 12:22 AM
freepain
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to freepain

It really doesn't make one bit of difference when your talking about such little distance's. But obviously darker things absorb heat much better than lighter things. But that really doesnt come into play with foil on a hookah.

Old February 7th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I use Reynolds Wrappables, they come in 15 by 15 sheets and I just rip them into 9 squares. They don't have a shiny or a dull side, both sides are the same. I LOVE this foil, works really well and I got it at the Dollar General Store for a buck!

But, when I do use a foil with a shiny side, I always do shiny side down.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:57 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka
I use Reynolds Wrappables, they come in 15 by 15 sheets and I just rip them into 9 squares. They don't have a shiny or a dull side, both sides are the same. I LOVE this foil, works really well and I got it at the Dollar General Store for a buck!

But, when I do use a foil with a shiny side, I always do shiny side down.
Accutally, if you look very closly SamB, you will see that stuff DOES have a shiny side. I noticed it somewhile ago, so I now I check to see what side I put down. It's hard, so you'll have to look dang close, but it's shinier one side!
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

hehe, well then sometimes I put shiny side down, and sometimes shiny side up, with the Reynolds Wrappables ... but it seems to work well for me. That foil is cheap, and is in between a light duty and heavy duty thickness. Highly recommend!

I will take a closer look at it next time, so see if I can tell the difference ... thanks for the heads up!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

this may seem like a really silly question... but is there really that big of a difference between the sides? or is just one side duller than the other? it always looked the same to me lol
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:18 AM
boomhauer
Banned

please check my post before, there is no difference according to the makers of aluminum foil. if you wish to see the exact reason why check the first one
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

whoops sorry i guess i only skimmed over your post earlier... sorry
Share with your friends on facebook