Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Thoughts on Social Smoke Tobacco

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 1st, 2010, 10:49 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Thoughts on Social Smoke Tobacco

I final got around to try some SS tobacco that a few folks had sent me and
wouldn't say it's bad, in fact it's a decent mod style product. It's better then some in that the flavours are strong and it's not swiming in glycerin. However, I will say say that it seems to be another over hyped, over priced product line but not very interesting mod style moassel. Obviously my views need to be taken with a pinch of salt given that hipster products aren't my thing. I will say that the SS stuff I've tried has a rather artificial and overly sweet taste that does not appeal to me. While it is better then SB/Fantasia insofar as it's less candylike the 5 flavours i've tried are not particularly realistic and it seems to be targeting the mod style neo-moassel market. I have been told that it's unwashed and while that may be true SS products have not a trace of tobacco like flavour or mouth feel which makes me suspect that the tobacco is boiled, steamed or extensively processed in some similar fashion with a very mild leaf with the express intention of removing any tobacco quality. If it is not washed it certainly has a washed like taste and it seems that was the intention. I recall that some claim that SB is likewise not washed but both brands are highly processed tasting and far too candy for my tastes although SB is far more noxious in that respect.

Obviously I haven't tried everything they make and having only smoke 100g of 5 flavours I don't have a terrific feel for the brand and I assume that SS is like almost all brands in that it likely has something that would appeal to me. Personally Salloum is a far more natural tasting processed brand for literally a third of the cost of SS so I can't see myself making a lot of effort to sample the brand. Likewise, AF, AW, Afzal, HH & HF all have a couple of good flavours but in the end smoking stuff that lacks any semblance of tobacco tastes or feel is something that I just don't find appealing enough to smoke more then occasionally.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; April 1st, 2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:33 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin
Default Re: Thoughts on Social Smoke Tobacco

Most products that put the emphasis on the added flavorings tend to go w/a lighter leaf to avoid tainting said flavor. I'm inclined to think most of these products are infact washed to one degree or another.
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:45 PM
davidbondok
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
Most products that put the emphasis on the added flavorings tend to go w/a lighter leaf to avoid tainting said flavor. I'm inclined to think most of these products are infact washed to one degree or another.
I agree. I have had about 7 flavors of Social Smoke and I think its okay stuff. I think they make a pretty good clove and mobster/energy drink. I think its a fun party tobacco bold flavor and big smoke. Its definatly not a every day smoke by any means. But I am willing to give it a few more shots. In my opinion most if not all comercial brands of shisha are going to have good flavors and flops.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:02 AM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

I noticed between the 3 flavors of SS tobacco that I tried that they ALL have a certain aftertaste.. Anyone notice this?
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:43 AM
davidbondok
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jride View Post
I noticed between the 3 flavors of SS tobacco that I tried that they ALL have a certain aftertaste.. Anyone notice this?
Which Flavors?
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:51 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

So far I am a fan. I'll take their spice tobacco over fruit so far but that's how I feel about any brand. I was excited when I heard it was unwashed and then realized how light and flavorless the leaf was and I was saddened. I heard inklings of a flavor that may be more like a traditional moassel but that may have been me mishearing things.

My major complaints:
Very light tobacco with no flavor and very low buzz
Too sweet on some flavors
Too expensive

Pros:
Fairly accurate flavors
Interesting flavors
Long lasting and heat resistant
Not too drippy
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:53 AM
shanaku
Hookah Nut

I had the blue berry last night and while it was a o.k. taste I was once again dissapointed that it had no tobacco taste. I cant wait for my DM to arrive

WE ARE THE FEW - THE PROUD - THE DARK SIDE!
WE ARE THE BLACK LEAF BROTHERHOOD
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:57 AM
lilbrummy87
Hookah Nut

I have 5 SS flavors in my stash. I like them. I also have 5 nak and a few other brands also. I for one like Nak flavors, but not all of my friends do. Some don't like the tobacco taste or the high buzz. So I smoke SS with them. They are strong flavors that my friends I can all enjoy.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:08 AM
davidbondok
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbrummy87 View Post
I have 5 SS flavors in my stash. I like them. I also have 5 nak and a few other brands also. I for one like Nak flavors, but not all of my friends do. Some don't like the tobacco taste or the high buzz. So I smoke SS with them. They are strong flavors that my friends I can all enjoy.
I agree lots of my friends just want fruity candy flavors that produce giant clouds. Which is fun. So I always have some starbuzz citrus mist, and now social smoke mobster in my stash for them and new hookah smokers. But nothing bets and good bowl of NDA, DM Pistio, and AF Mint!
Old April 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

The chemical twang is fairly annoying and amplifies the artificial aspects of the brand.

I wish I had kept the tins so I could check the nicotine content but I recalling hearing that SS is .5% nicotine and the fact is that tobacco no crop in the world is naturally that level so it's pretty clear that the stuff is heavily processed although it may be (and supposedly is) by means other then washing. As a practical matter I don't it matters if it's washed or not since candy like, highly processed moasseles are basically all cut from the same cloth. While SS is better then SB in that it's got less glycerin and is a more realistic lots of other brands can say the same at half the cost.

To me the crux of the matter is SS trotting well traveled ground in a predictable way giving us another overpriced, highly processed product that can't compare with the better products offered by Salloum, Afzal, AW or AF.

Obviously most smokers like the candy stuff without any trace of tobacco taste or texture and if that is your thing and you can afford to pay SB prices you'll find that SS is a better product then Fantasia/SB.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; April 4th, 2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old April 4th, 2010, 05:10 PM
jakejacobson
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jride View Post

My biggest complaint yet about SS. Ghosts your hose like crazy EVERY time.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook