Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Bowl Comparison

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
vincent09
Hookah Nut

Default Bowl Comparison

What is the difference between the different types of bowls. Pros and cons.

Clay
Ceramic
Funnel
Multi-head
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra
Default Re: Bowl Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent09
What is the difference between the different types of bowls. Pros and cons.

Clay
Ceramic
Funnel
Multi-head
multihead - sucks, waste of materials.
funnel - PERFECT, i have a large one for group sesh, and a small one for singular sesh.
clay/ceramic - alright i guess, nearly everyone starts off with it.

let me go into details about the funnel. unlike a clay/ceramic bowl which is just a bowl with holes in the mid portion, the funnel is built in a funnel shape with only one hole in the middle. the juices do not drip down the hole, they start to pool - keeps your flavor. also no particles fall through which is great. also you can grab the bottom of the funnel and not have to worry about heat because the stem is rather far from the bowl.
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:46 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

Clay - cheap, easy to break, most hold 10-15g

Ceramic - step up from clay, more durable, more expensive

Funnel - Unique design, hole in middle, no loss of juices dripping, more taste (opinion), usually prefer mod for more flavors with non-tangiers tobacco (brand)

Multi-head - designed to mix flavors, hard to manage heat, only can mix even amounts

--Super-Chief - similar to funnel, no mod needed

I would suggest getting a clay/ceramic and a funnel to try out.
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM
vincent09
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinthecity
Clay - cheap, easy to break, most hold 10-15g

Ceramic - step up from clay, more durable, more expensive

Funnel - Unique design, hole in middle, no loss of juices dripping, more taste (opinion), usually prefer mod for more flavors with non-tangiers tobacco (brand)

Multi-head - designed to mix flavors, hard to manage heat, only can mix even amounts

--Super-Chief - similar to funnel, no mod needed

I would suggest getting a clay/ceramic and a funnel to try out.
What do you mean by "mod?"
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:02 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

its this stupid thing that goes over the howl. ppl think that when youre smoking with a funnel, the tinfoil sucks down and covers the hole. so they made some stupid crap that looks like a bottlecap that goes over the hole a bit to stop this from happening. it makes no difference. it has more of a placebo effect.
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:03 PM
vincent09
Hookah Nut

So, it's not really neccessary as long as you get the foil tight?
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

It's a glass or copper piece that fits over the hole of the funnel. It helps the warm air to go through the shisha and juice more than if there were not one there.

A lot of times when using a funnel bowl, people will be done with it and still have some moisture at the bottom of the bowl. The mod makes the air flow from the bottom so it helps a lot with taste and wasting shisha.
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:05 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

its not necessary even if the foil is on tight. out of all the mods, id say this one is the lamest. at least the diffuser does something - help out with covert hookah operations.
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:05 PM
vincent09
Hookah Nut

Alright, cool. I think I will give it a try. - thanks for the help fellas
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I would say, just get a standard eygyptian bowl! I use two, they are both "DEEP" one has a bigger diameter (I like that bowl the best)!
Multi-Head Bowls - I have one, and have never used it ... I don't like the bowls that are shallow
Standard Bowls - they are too shallow for me, I like a deeper bowl
phunnel - works ok, with really JUICY shisha, but other then that, I use a regular deep egyptian bowl.
I like ceramic and clay, both work equally well.

Check out some of my vids, on youtube, and you will see the bowl I use 90% of the time and I LOVE IT! It is a standard egyptian and is really deep, holds about 25gms max (I usually put a little less)

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Clay - standard brown (terra cotta like) clay bowl, most popular, cheapest, comes glazed & unglazed. Hand made and thus can vary in size wildly. Can hold bwt 10 - 45g of tobacco.

Ceramic - modern style, often white in color, normally glazed. Slightly more pricey than standard clay. Typiaclly machine made so tends to be more uniform in shape & size. Can hold bwt 15g - 50g.

Funnel - large ceramic specialy bowl, similar to a troft with a sinle center hole. Pricey and harder to locate. Uses more tobacco than most bowls. Often used inconjuction with a Mod (device that fits over center single hole to help w/ airflow). Can hold bwt 25 - 75g of tobacco

Multi-head - typically made from ceramic and has 2-4 smaller heads. Normally glazed. Used for "mixing" flavors although most users don't recommend - uses 2-4 times as much coal as a single head bowl and harder to "heat manage". Can be costly.

Glass (bowl or phunnel) - made from heat resistance glass, typically clear or colored glass. Most costly and harder to locate. Often comes w/ a glass screen, but not always - can be used w/ foil. Tends to "overheat" tobacco, so caution is a must. Can hold bwt 10 - 35g of tobacco

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I prefer standard clay "egpytian" style bowls. I have had both a Glass bowl & Phunnel, although nice, they are too costly (both in item & tobacco use) and effort to set-up & smoke.

daedra, stop being so negative - not everyone likes phunnels. I don't.
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

i dont think bryan (daedra) was badmouthing funnel bowls, we have used it when we smoked before. what he said i agree with him entirely, a mod is fairly useless in my opinion. if you want to just make something which will let airflow through normally, prop the foil from covering the hole, and not touch the tobacco due to a possability of overheating and burning it then i made the perfect thing yesterday. little piece of metal bent and it props up the foil great, need to work out a couple of things but no more sizzling tobacco except if i have some on the bowls edge when packing and some just stayed on there.

[img width=801 height=600]http://img9.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/1210/12108418b43eb623015b84d3b49cbe1280b444b.jpg[/img]

[img width=801 height=600]http://img3.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/1210/1210842d7e7b1d21db4660ed3fdc8be47c84521.jpg[/img]

[img width=801 height=600]http://img9.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/1210/1210843dc2cbb023b4b515644c5a2f378c766b1.jpg[/img]
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:41 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

He isn't bad mouthing Phunnels, just all other types of bowls. Plus disliking something and calling it lame, worthless and stupid are slightly different.

And I'll agree the glass/metal cup mod was a pain - not overly helpful and hard to clean. But everytime I tried smoking my Phunnel without, never fail - the foil would be pulled too far down and it would be hard to smoke.

You're little bent bar looks better, takes up less space and would be easier to clean. But still - phunnels require alot of tobacco to work right, so I don't like them as IMO i conside it a waste of tobacco.
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:56 PM
wishdrftr
Hookah Nut

Sorry to threadjack, but where could I find a quality DEEP bowl.
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:00 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

the mod for funnel bowls is just a placebo. it belongs in the waste bin with soex, rolland instant lites, and kitchen stoves.

i love funnel bowls. i notice a total different when smoking with one. as far as putting down the funnel mod, i can put down whatever i like. we put down soex constantly, i dont see why i cant put down non funnel bowls.
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii
He isn't bad mouthing Phunnels, just all other types of bowls. Plus disliking something and calling it lame, worthless and stupid are slightly different.

And I'll agree the glass/metal cup mod was a pain - not overly helpful and hard to clean. But everytime I tried smoking my Phunnel without, never fail - the foil would be pulled too far down and it would be hard to smoke.

You're little bent bar looks better, takes up less space and would be easier to clean. But still - phunnels require alot of tobacco to work right, so I don't like them as IMO i conside it a waste of tobacco.
personally i dont mind using the tobacco, i got enough as it is so using a little more isnt going to kill me. so i go from 10g bowl to 15 isnt bad. i have weighed it before and done that much very often, i pack more sometimes but not always ofcourse. as for cleanup there is none. needed on what i made. it does not touch the tobacco at all unless you pack way above the bowls capacity. it sits in the funnel bowl's hole and then angles above the tobacco. i used to have one made out of aluminum foil to test the concept and it worked alright but the foil kept bending down and touching the tobacco. made one out of metal after a week of testing to see how it works and it was great. havent had a burned bowl since, it might go a bit harsh but thats just too much heat and not tobacco touching foil. too much heat is corrected quickly and the bowl continues. no increase in smoke or taste that i noticed because lemonade gives huge clouds as it is haha. smoked it well past the without flavor stage and still had a good ammount of clouds, i should have added glycerine and kept it smoking but i decided not to (last part a joke between me and someone else)

as for him badmouthing other bowls i agree multiheads are crap, if they are not packed perfectly the same as the other then you get too much of one flavor than the other. why have multiple heads when you can just repack or mix the flavors then put it in a regular bowl. as for badmouthing the regular bowls most people agree funnel bowls are better. i like egyptian bowls myself but dont use it very often. looved my mod bowl because i could pack 10g of a tobacco and have it smoke great for hours.
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:09 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauer
as for him badmouthing other bowls i agree multiheads are crap, if they are not packed perfectly the same as the other then you get too much of one flavor than the other. why have multiple heads when you can just repack or mix the flavors then put it in a regular bowl. as for badmouthing the regular bowls most people agree funnel bowls are better. i like egyptian bowls myself but dont use it very often. looved my mod bowl because i could pack 10g of a tobacco and have it smoke great for hours.
multiheads are total crap! i think i would buy one just to show ppl and have them go, "oooo ahhhh".. i like egyptian bowls too but i dont like blowing the ash out and getting shisha juice in my mouth, bleck haha. sorry if i come off negative but when it comes to products, i can be as negative or as positive about an item as i want to be.
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedra
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauer
multiheads are total crap! i think i would buy one just to show ppl and have them go, "oooo ahhhh".. i like egyptian bowls too but i dont like blowing the ash out and getting shisha juice in my mouth, bleck haha. sorry if i come off negative but when it comes to products, i can be as negative or as positive about an item as i want to be.
we all have our person opinion on a product. the juices getting into your mouth is a bad point of it i do have to admit.
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:15 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Yes, but to be rude... i give up.

The orginial question was, "What is the difference between the different types of bowls. Pros and cons."
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

when youre having a good time, you notice some ash has got into the bowl, so you blow thru the reverse said to get it out, suddenly you taste something really nasty and you start freaking out, spitting here and there, running for a glass of water.

thats when you know youve got to move onto the... FUNNEL!

if you feel that the funnel uses too much shisha, buy the small. it holds the same amount as a egyptian bowl.

im sorry if i hurt the feelings of the other bowls :
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishdrftr
Sorry to threadjack, but where could I find a quality DEEP bowl.
This is the one I like to use in my videos .. http://www.hookahcompany.com/saudi_a...d_616_prd1.htm

and I like this MYA bowl for 1 to 3 people http://www.hookahcompany.com/high_gr...h_295_prd1.htm

This is a DEEP and BIG bowl! Sammniamii has one .. http://www.hookahcompany.com/khalil_..._2405_prd1.htm

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:37 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Basically what others have said is true in the description of the bowls and what they do. I prefer smokng from a Tangier's phunnel most of the time. But you can get the same qualtiy smoke out of a regular deep clay/ceramic bowl as long as you pack it right. In my opinion, one should always practice on stock bowls first and get that skill down first before moving on to a phunnel...but like I said, that's my opinion...

And for those of you who think that a scalli glass mod is "worthless" or "useless", think again cause you're dead wrong. I've found that mod to be very helpful in preventing the foil from being sucked down. And don't tell me to stretch the foil tight, cause I've been there done that and it still got sucked down. I also poked a big hole in the center like you're "supposed" to and that didn't help either.

So it's not a placebo effect at all. It's actually helpful and functional. Also, it keeps the coals from moving closer to each other and staying constantly together in the center. Once again, don't say that it's because you have to strecth the foil tight, because trust me it couldn't have been tighter. And yet, the colas (because of their weight) still saged down towards the center every few puffs.

Obviously this was annoying because I had to keep on seperating them every few hits. The mod is very useful at preventing all this, and I recommend it to anyone considering the purchase of a phunnel.
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:30 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahMaster
Basically what others have said is true in the description of the bowls and what they do. I prefer smokng from a Tangier's phunnel most of the time. But you can get the same qualtiy smoke out of a regular deep clay/ceramic bowl as long as you pack it right. In my opinion, one should always practice on stock bowls first and get that skill down first before moving on to a phunnel...but like I said, that's my opinion...

And for those of you who think that a scalli glass mod is "worthless" or "useless", think again cause you're dead wrong. I've found that mod to be very helpful in preventing the foil from being sucked down. And don't tell me to stretch the foil tight, cause I've been there done that and it still got sucked down. I also poked a big hole in the center like you're "supposed" to and that didn't help either.

So it's not a placebo effect at all. It's actually helpful and functional. Also, it keeps the coals from moving closer to each other and staying constantly together in the center. Once again, don't say that it's because you have to strecth the foil tight, because trust me it couldn't have been tighter. And yet, the colas (because of their weight) still saged down towards the center every few puffs.

Obviously this was annoying because I had to keep on seperating them every few hits. The mod is very useful at preventing all this, and I recommend it to anyone considering the purchase of a phunnel.
how come this problem has never happened to me? i smoke with a funnel constantly and yet ive never had any of that happen.
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:44 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahMaster

how come this problem has never happened to me? i smoke with a funnel constantly and yet ive never had any of that happen.
i have a slight sag sometimes but i dont make sure my foil is absolutely tight and know its a bit loose, thats why i made my 10 cent mod. better than spending almost 7 bucks on it, quick trip to the garage (for some of you to the home depot) and find a piece of metal which fits into your bowl perfectly, an L-bracket and then you put that in there and you got the perfect funnel. we bought many of these years ago and it was 10 cents so might now it might be a little more. works perfectly on preventing the foil touching
Old February 6th, 2008, 02:12 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
perhaps its because your phunnel bowl's center hole sits higher and flush with the rim? I read once somewhere that there were small differences between different people's phunnels due to them being hand made. My phunnel's center hole sits about 1/8ths of an inch below the actual rim. The weight of the coals will inevitably sag down the foil on my phunnel for this reason. With the salli mod, it levels the foil out so that it sits flush with the rim and prevents the possibility of sagging.

I've looked at my phunnel from the side with the mod in, and noticed that it sits perfectly flush with the height of the rim. I suspect, this is the reason why some people don't need the mod and yet others like me do...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook