Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Bowl Comparison

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 6th, 2008, 02:45 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra
Default Re: Bowl Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahMaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedra
how come this problem has never happened to me? i smoke with a funnel constantly and yet ive never had any of that happen.
perhaps its because your phunnel bowl's center hole sits higher and flush with the rim? I read once somewhere that there were small differences between different people's phunnels due to them being hand made. My phunnel's center hole sits about 1/8ths of an inch below the actual rim. The weight of the coals will inevitably sag down the foil on my phunnel for this reason. With the salli mod, it levels the foil out so that it sits flush with the rim and prevents the possibility of sagging.

I've looked at my phunnel from the side with the mod in, and noticed that it sits perfectly flush with the height of the rim. I suspect, this is the reason why some people don't need the mod and yet others like me do...
thats the problem with the mod. you have people who say, "if you buy a funnel bowl, you MUST buy the mod!". reality is, most people dont need the mod because their funnel bowl is fine the way it is. what is the ratio? 1 out of every 10 funnel bowls needs the mod for it to work fine? thats definitely no reason for these people to go around saying, "if you buy a funnel bowl, you MUST buy the mod!"
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Clay-sustains way better heat and is one of the best bowls I've used
Ceramic-In my experience, they get hot WAY too easily and make your smoke feel harsh
Funnel-great bowl! lots of flavor is intact, but IMO, it packs too much baccy...even with the small one
Multi-head- an absolute waste of money and coals. I heard that they are a real pain since you have to keep watching the coals. You also are risking yourself at getting nicotine poisoning if you use the multi-head bowls.
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I think that the bowl you should use is solely based on the brand of tobacco you are smoking.
For SB and AF (tangiers too of course) I only use a phunnel. They are juicy and need to be sitting in their own delicious juices to boost the flavors like crazy.

For HH and AW i only use a Mya or Egyptian Traditional bowls, they aren't as juicy, but in a phunnel the smoek and flavor do not come out as well. With Trad. bowls the smoke and flavor come directly through the holes, you get great taste.
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:42 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
thats the problem with the mod. you have people who say, "if you buy a funnel bowl, you MUST buy the mod!". reality is, most people dont need the mod because their funnel bowl is fine the way it is. what is the ratio? 1 out of every 10 funnel bowls needs the mod for it to work fine? thats definitely no reason for these people to go around saying, "if you buy a funnel bowl, you MUST buy the mod!"
I never said he MUST purchase the mod with the phunnel. I said I RECOMMEND it, for the reasons I posted above. Imagine he ends up being that one in ten and ends up getting frustrated and pissed because of all the annoying reasons I posted above... I'm just trying to save him the headaches and frustration. C'mon, it's only $5. Five bucks never killed anyone, and I'd rather purchase it together and avoid the chance of being that one in ten...
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Also, I think it's a lot more than one in ten. I think it's more rare that the prperly made ones exist. I'm one of those people, and so is SamniamII. She said she benfited from it to, so I'm pretty sure her tangier's phunnel bowl is like mine...
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

the phunnel is great. anyone wanting to buy one, dont be scared away by the whole mod thing. very few vendors sell the mod for a reason.
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

SIDE TIP: If by some chance your phunnel is one of those who need the mod... a simple mod can be made by using a empty tea light cup (metal only). So even by chance you don't end up ordering it.... your not 100% completely screwed.
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:29 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Some phunnels need a Mod to work?

I would say it's more of a choice thing, more of a preference than anything. I could smoke SB without a Mod, but i choose not too because i like the Heat Management capabilities that go with using the Mod.

I wouldn't say i need to use a Mod at all. Or anyone would, for that matter. They use it cause they either like it or they are used to it or both.
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:00 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk
Some phunnels need a Mod to work?

I would say it's more of a choice thing, more of a preference than anything. I could smoke SB without a Mod, but i choose not too because i like the Heat Management capabilities that go with using the Mod.

I wouldn't say i need to use a Mod at all. Or anyone would, for that matter. They use it cause they either like it or they are used to it or both.
Read my last post on page one, and you'll see why some people do in fact need a mod...
Old February 7th, 2008, 05:29 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

what i dont understand is, you need the mod in your case because the maker made the middle higher than the rim. but how would the coals sink to the middle if it is like this?
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I have an Egyptian clay bowl that I use for a shorter session (30 minutes - 1 hour), and a small Super Chief (also made of clay) I use for longer sessions (1 hour 15 minutes - 1 hour 45 minutes). I don't have a funnel and probably won't get one. I never smoke Tangiers and the small Super Chief is great for keeping juice in the shisha.
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:24 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
what i dont understand is, you need the mod in your case because the maker made the middle higher than the rim. but how would the coals sink to the middle if it is like this?
no... it's the opposite. The middle hole sits lower than the outer rim of the bowl. Thus causing the coals to slide towards each other and touch at the center constantly...
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:23 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
no... it's the opposite. The middle hole sits lower than the outer rim of the bowl. Thus causing the coals to slide towards each other and touch at the center constantly...
serious? both my phunnels have the middle part lower than the rim and they never sag or have the coals move towards the center.
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:28 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
serious? both my phunnels have the middle part lower than the rim and they never sag or have the coals move towards the center.
Yep, I'm being 100% honest and serious... Trust me, if I didn't have to smoke with it in place, then I wouldn't. It's too much work to keep it clean, it's always turning black on me all the time. But yeah, this has happened to me more than once, and I stretched the foil as much as it could handle. I actually ripped a few foil sheets apart trying to make it as streched out as possible.

I agree with you in that it doesn't increase flavor or smoke performance like some say. But it does benefit me in preventing all these incoveniences from happening when smoking with the tangiers. Imagine dude, having to seperate the coals from each other every two hits because they meet at the center. It gets pretty annoying...
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:39 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, I'm being 100% honest and serious... Trust me, if I didn't have to smoke with it in place, then I wouldn't. It's too much work to keep it clean, it's always turning black on me all the time. But yeah, this has happened to me more than once, and I stretched the foil as much as it could handle. I actually ripped a few foil sheets apart trying to make it as streched out as possible.

I agree with you in that it doesn't increase flavor or smoke performance like some say. But it does benefit me in preventing all these incoveniences from happening when smoking with the tangiers. Imagine dude, having to seperate the coals from each other every two hits because they meet at the center. It gets pretty annoying...
i agree with you too on the supposed increased flavor and smoke performance. its like the diffuser. im using boom's diffuser and from what i notice, it doesnt increase flavor or smoke performance but it does quiet down the hookah.
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:09 PM
sexyghost
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sexyghost Send a message via MSN to sexyghost

Can you get the same amount of flavor from a small bowl as a large one? Or is it the more tobacco the more flavor?

I guess I should of payed more attention in science class
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook